part# for light stalk with Fog dial...

• 3 weeks later...

Is the steering stalk with the fog light dial a direct replacement of the existing one? i.e. direct swap plug 'n play type of installation?

I got myself aftermarket fog lights for the 2007 ZRE Ascent and when I took off the bumper to have a look, I did notice existing wiring looms there for the fog lights, so I presume a straight connect to these wiring looms is possible and I would only need to put the relay for the fog lights and connect the factory steering stalk for them to work. Well, that's the plan anyway ;)

How much does this steering stalk cost from Toyota?

the stalk is a direct plug and play ... it just takes a while to take the steering wheel and everything else off. but it can be done. Lol if i can do it, then pretty much anyone can.

Ranges in price from 160 - 180$ i think, i dont remember exactly how much i paid.

They are a direct replacement. All you do is connect your fog lights to the harness that already exists there, put a relay into the fuse panel (fuse should already be there), then you're new stork is ready to work.

As for cost, be prepared to pay something like $150+ for it.

Is the steering stalk with the fog light dial a direct replacement of the existing one? i.e. direct swap plug 'n play type of installation?

I got myself aftermarket fog lights for the 2007 ZRE Ascent and when I took off the bumper to have a look, I did notice existing wiring looms there for the fog lights, so I presume a straight connect to these wiring looms is possible and I would only need to put the relay for the fog lights and connect the factory steering stalk for them to work. Well, that's the plan anyway ;)

How much does this steering stalk cost from Toyota?

You are correct! All that is needed are the lamps, relay and stalk to make it all work. For installation of the stalk you can find a guide in the electronics section on the forum. It is for the Yaris, however the ZRE is almost identical.

Goodluck!

the stalk is a direct plug and play ... it just takes a while to take the steering wheel and everything else off. but it can be done. Lol if i can do it, then pretty much anyone can.

Ranges in price from 160 - 180$ i think, i dont remember exactly how much i paid.

I saw the DIY Guide for the Yaris, but it's a bit complicated with the removal of the steering wheel. What Toyota were thinking LOL :) Why have the steering stalks under the steering wheel in the first place. After closely looking at the ZRE, I don't think I need to remove the steering wheel, as the top and bottom plastic covers seem to separate and should reveal the steering stalk clips, the question is, are these plastic steering column covers on the ZRE screwed on together or just clip on, as I couldn't see any screws holding them together.

In any case, I called Toyota and the steering fog light switch costs $174.00 plus GST. I then pooped in to my local auto electrician and he said he'd charge me $100.00 to put the fog lights in with the independent push in type switch (supplied with the fog lights kit), so cost-wise, it'll be cheaper to do it with the stand-alone switch ;)

Edited by jalalski

I saw the DIY Guide for the Yaris, but it's a bit complicated with the removal of the steering wheel. What Toyota were thinking LOL :) Why have the steering stalks under the steering wheel in the first place. After closely looking at the ZRE, I don't think I need to remove the steering wheel, as the top and bottom plastic covers seem to separate and should reveal the steering stalk clips...

The steering wheel HAS to come off. Toyota were not thinking differently to anybody else. It's not a special case.

Because of the way the indicator works, the stalk has a round part that goes around the steering column that enables the indicator to automatically turn off when you complete your turn.

I just fitted the stalk a couple of days ago and yes you need to take the steering wheel off. Thanks for KEN33F's DIY guide, it took me about an hour to get this done ( already had after market fog light fitted with push type switch).

The steering wheel HAS to come off. Toyota were not thinking differently to anybody else. It's not a special case.

Because of the way the indicator works, the stalk has a round part that goes around the steering column that enables the indicator to automatically turn off when you complete your turn.

Well, they were thinking differently to Nissan at least because I have done exactly the same mod on many Nissans and both the wiper and headlights/indicators steering stalks are completely independent from the steering wheel and slot in and out by just removing the top and bottom covers of the steering column.

For now, I will use the push in switch, but when the time comes to replace the steering wheel with a leather type, I might consider an upgrade at the same time ;)

Installed the aftermarket set of fog lights today and used the existing car wiring and the push-in switch that came with the kit. The relay position in the ZRE is actually located in the centre console so the trim around the gear stick and just below the air-con dials needed to be taken-off to see the position of the relay. A fuse was then inserted in the fuse panel behind the passenger glovebox. No additional wiring was needed and we simply cut the head of the plug from the supplied wiring loom with these fog lights to make it connect to the push-in switch, so it now works exactly the same way as the steering stalk and the light in the dash lights-up when this switch is pushed-in.

All up cost was $279.00

P.S. Bumper removal was not needed either as the fog light positions are easily accessible from under the car by removing the plastic guard on the corners.

Edited by jalalski