XT130 plays up on freeway

Nikferatu

The other day my XT130 wagon started playing up when travelling at high speed (well, the 110 speed limit anyway!). It started staggering or misfiring - like it was starving for fuel or something. My first guess was fuel pump or crud in the fuel, it does have two filters though. Pulling over to the verge, I would wait ten minutes or so and then take off with no problems - it accelerated as well as normal with the boot fully planted - doesn't look like a dead fuel pump there! Then after half an hour driving it would come back.

Between Tewantin and Brisbane it did this about five times and took me an extra hour or so longer than it should have. The next day I had to drive all over the north side with a trailer for a few hours, part of it in peak hour traffic. So it got plenty hot, but no staggering or misfiring whatsoever. It only seemed to do it when doing 90-110kph. The manual suggests coil, accelerator pump, points, and a few other things - but could anyone take a stab at a possible cause that would be worth checking first - as spare time is in short supply around here!

A few weeks back I did a service including new plugs, points, condenser, rotor, air filter, oil change.

Just forming an idea based on your description, could it possibly be something with the fuel pickup itself?

You mention that it only happens around 90-110km/h. It would then seem that it may not have much to do with the engine itself. This is due to the simple fact that you can use the same RPM (and even more) than when you are travelling at highway speed.

Just one possible idea though.

Just forming an idea based on your description, could it possibly be something with the fuel pickup itself?

You mention that it only happens around 90-110km/h. It would then seem that it may not have much to do with the engine itself. This is due to the simple fact that you can use the same RPM (and even more) than when you are travelling at highway speed.

Just one possible idea though.

Thanks for the reply! By fuel pickup you mean where the fuel exits the tank?

Thanks for the reply! By fuel pickup you mean where the fuel exits the tank?

You're welcome.

And yes, as in the point where the fuel is sucked up from the tank into the fuel pump.

Clogged fuel filter? Running along the highway at high rpm puts a big load on the filter, just pottering around town doesn't draw anywhere near as much fuel.