Lights [Parker & Gear]

VF-X

So I was playin around with my 'reverse lights' wire today. My cable for camera was a bit short, so I decided to get an extension and hook it up all the way to these wires.

I did them, not only the camera works, but then I realized my Gear lights on the screen aren't on except when I put it on the 'S'. So I went to check if there's anything more that goes wrong, I found my parker lights aren't working as well. And even worse, my sensors suddenly just stop working.. :(

Any Ideas on what did I do wrong?

Edited by VF-X

Questions to start off. From what you said, your saying the camera does or does not work? It was phrased as such to say your camera DOES work, but am I correct in saying that you mean otherwise?

What are your reversing sensors connected to for power anyways?

Since you mentioned this started after extending your leads for the camera, I would look at everything that is related to that firstly. Look for any exposed sections of wire, or connections that could possibly short out. If you find there is the potential for a short, fix this. Then have a look at all your fuses and see if they are good. Most likely you will find one has blown. Replace this fuse after correcting any shorts and see if everything works fine. If the fuse blows again, then start investigating further.

On a note to the above advice, it could also be possible something was shorted out during installation and is no longer there. If that is the case and you find nothing exposed as per first instruction, continue with the next step of checking fuses.

Fuses I would be looking at primarily are:

Engine bay - DOME (10A)

Interior - GAUGE NO.1 (10A), GAUGE NO.2 (7.5A), TAIL (15A), PANEL (7.5A)

Questions to start off. From what you said, your saying the camera does or does not work? It was phrased as such to say your camera DOES work, but am I correct in saying that you mean otherwise?

What are your reversing sensors connected to for power anyways?

Camera DID work at the point where I tested it when there was no extension, which was few days ago. Seems like I bought the wrong extension type. The extension was gold, while the actual wire was coloured silver. I don't know if this is the source, but my guess would be this and i'll just get another one similar in colour.. I guess I'll figure about the camera out later on.

Reversing sensor power, which is located under the steering wheel has the light on. However, it's not working. I didn't check it further as It's raining now..

FYI: I didn't play with any wires except for the red and white ones that do the reverse lights.

Any chance for Toyota not charging me If i bring it to them after I finished my camera? Is it covered under their warranty?

Edited by VF-X

Seems like I bought the wrong extension type. The extension was gold, while the actual wire was coloured silver. I don't know if this is the source, but my guess would be this and i'll just get another one similar in colour.. I guess I'll figure about the camera out later on.

What exactly were you extending. You need to be a little specific. Were you extending the power wires or the video wires? Either way, it doesn't matter about the colour of the wires. For the job you are doing, you can use a mix of bare copper (copper coloured), tin plated coper (silver coloured), or gold plated (gold coloured obviously), and that itself won't be the cause of your problem.

Reversing sensor power, which is located under the steering wheel has the light on. However, it's not working. I didn't check it further as It's raining now..

Doesn't necessarily mean that it is okay. The indicator light for it can be fed off the relay power side of things.

FYI: I didn't play with any wires except for the red and white ones that do the reverse lights.

I would be looking at your connections there then and making sure it's not shorted out. Then check fuses as mentioned above.

Any chance for Toyota not charging me If i bring it to them after I finished my camera? Is it covered under their warranty?

They could possibly look at it for you but they will charge because you were the one making modifications to it. They may possibly not attempt to fix it as well if you were to ask. If you can't do it yourself, you are better off getting an automotive electrics shop to help out.

VFX - I can always have look at it for you when you pick up your body kit etc.

AUR30N

Thanks for the offer Ari.. But not possible with the parker lights not working and drive all the way to ur place.. Car might not get there in a piece.. :lol: + no license yet.. ah..frustrating.. :(

Hey guys, just curious, how serious the problem is if the screen pops up 'Check ur VSC'. I tried to warm the car today so i drive it around for a spin. The car was like 'gasping', startle between on and off when i turned the air-con on.

When air-con off, it's normal only with the VSC error. Now it can't start itself, think it's short on battery..

Booked a service in toyota for Thursday now... <_< :(

Hey guys, just curious, how serious the problem is if the screen pops up 'Check ur VSC'. I tried to warm the car today so i drive it around for a spin. The car was like 'gasping', startle between on and off when i turned the air-con on.

When air-con off, it's normal only with the VSC error. Now it can't start itself, think it's short on battery..

Booked a service in toyota for Thursday now... <_< :(

Don't get overly concerned if the 'Check VSC' warning comes up since most of the time it will come on when another fault is present. In most cases, the VSC is fine, but you should still get the car checked to see what the actual fault code is. Still haven't figured out why the VSC warning comes up, my guess is that people would more likely take it in to get checked if presented with that message rather than a check engine light.

Do I need to get very concern if my battery is now barely working? I came to this conclusion from the fact that after I jumped start my car, it can go barely alive for 3 minutes. I need to jumped start the car around 4 times to finish a 1-2 km distance.. :(

Could this be a symptom of error due to my previous fault? Can a simple electrical error cause all of these?

Do I need to get very concern if my battery is now barely working? I came to this conclusion from the fact that after I jumped start my car, it can go barely alive for 3 minutes. I need to jumped start the car around 4 times to finish a 1-2 km distance.. :(

Could this be a symptom of error due to my previous fault? Can a simple electrical error cause all of these?

Have you visually inspected all fuses yet? In this case, I would also take a good hard look at the fusible links in the engine bay fuse box (the big long blue ones). Quite possibly something is playing up with your charging system. Not particualrly the alternator, but can possibly be. Does your charge light on the dash stay illuminated once the car is started? If you aren't confident doing some troubleshooting with a multimeter, I would suggest to have someone look at it for you.

Sounds like your alternator is dead to me. Same thing happened to my Patrol. Ran on battery for 3 days! Usually the battery works for a while without an alternator but then dies. The longer you run it without an alternator charging the battery, the more damage you do to the battery and the less charge it can hold in the future.

If it's not the alternator, it could be something in the electrical system near there.