Engine Re-Build

addy287

Hey guys,

you all know by now wot car i have....i hope. anywho i was wondering my cars got 216xxx km on the clock, and is due for service at 219. is it worth it to have an engine rebuild, it doesn't have anything wrong with it (its a toyota :D). Just wondering wot the benefits of having a rebuild are, will it perform better? last longer? run smoother? more econonical? better acceleration? and costs involved. and wot an engine rebuild actually consists of doing.....lol

also while im on the topic of performance, does anyone know is the gen 5 stivo suspension will fit on my gen 4? and if anyone is selling, prefer just the back ones but fronts wouldn't be bad either.

thanks all

as far as im aware, gen 5 suspension wont fit gen 4.

as for rebuilds, unless youre having problem after problem then i dont think its worth wasting the money. if youre engine is running fine and smoothly, and youre getting decent economy, there wouldnt be a great deal of difference. theres no performance gains to be made if thats what youre thinking.

and as BKS pointed out, its quite a pricey exercise.

ring your mechanic to get a quote...

but for a good rebuild... expect around the $3 - $4K mark.

lol thats morre than i thought it would be....wot is involved in a rebuild?

edit just read lateralus' response..shame about the suspension is ther a difference between gen 4 models ie touring, csi, grande stiffness?

Edited by addy287

rebuilds is pretty much that - a rebuild. absolutely everything gets inspected, cleaned and tested, and if its out of spec, then its either rehoned or rebalanced, or replaced. everything you can think of gets a go-over, from top to bottom.

take the donk off the car and stripping everything from the engine and put everything back in :P

yes certain wore parts gets replaced and certified after the rebuilt...

mk well its clear that i dont need the rebuild done, lol

wot about the suspension if i go to a wrecker and get a higher model one will it be different? i got a csi

yeap as long you dont abuse/neglect the donk it will last at least 300-400k no problem... and when you need to rebuild the engine you might as well get another car unless you have done some significant mods to it... :spiteful:

Yeah, i'd only rebuild it if there is something wrong with it in the first place. OR if you are chasing big boost :spiteful: ie putting forged pistons and stronger shafts.

[edit] And I'd spend the money on new suspesion than ones from the wreckers. You dont know what could be wrong with them or how long they have been sitting there. You may be buying into more problems + all the suspension bar the touring and the grande are the same.

Edited by STYLSH

edit just read lateralus' response..shame about the suspension is ther a difference between gen 4 models ie touring, csi, grande stiffness?

The CSi, Conquest and CSX have stock standard suspension with Monroe shocks.

The Touring has stiffer springs, larger rear swaybar (I think) and Bilstein shocks. They also came standard with Michelin Vivacy tyres.

The Vienta models (VXi and Grande) have a more luxurious suspension. My girlfriend has a VXi and it rides quite firm but I tend to find it "floats" more in corners.

Yeah, i'd only rebuild it if there is something wrong with it in the first place. OR if you are chasing big boost :spiteful: ie putting forged pistons and stronger shafts.

[edit] And I'd spend the money on new suspesion than ones from the wreckers. You dont know what could be wrong with them or how long they have been sitting there. You may be buying into more problems + all the suspension bar the touring and the grande are the same.

the only thing stopping me from getting new suspension is the cost. on a standard camry is it the shocks or the springs that are the major downfall. cause i could possible change one of them.....

If you were in brisbane, you could come pick up the thicker touring rear sway bar that i have just sitting here :P

Touring models do have bilstein shocks and have stiffer lowered (slightly) springs from factory.

If you were in brisbane, you could come pick up the thicker touring rear sway bar that i have just sitting here :P

Touring models do have bilstein shocks and have stiffer lowered (slightly) springs from factory.

how much would it cost to get it couriered down...lol i would drive to brissy to get it, how thick is it?

and do u have ur old coilovers?

how much would it cost to get it couriered down...lol i would drive to brissy to get it, how thick is it?

Its too big for Auspost. And courier costs heaps unfortunately. It'll be easier if you find a wrecker with it in stock. And unfortunately i dont have my old set of suspension anymore (not coil overs), I sold them a while back, had kings superlows + stock shocks.

Its too big for Auspost. And courier costs heaps unfortunately. It'll be easier if you find a wrecker with it in stock. And unfortunately i dont have my old set of suspension anymore (not coil overs), I sold them a while back, had kings superlows + stock shocks.

how much u pay for the superlows? make an difference to the handling? and how thick is the touring sway compared to the others...mine is 19mm stock

Stock isnt 19mm thick. The whiteline upgraded one is 19mm thick! From the superpro catalogue the stock bars comes either as 16mm or 17mm as they are the sizes that are made for gen4s. Sway bar makes the most difference. So on a budget, I'd just get the whiteline sway bar for about $180 and then work from there. The lowering springs did their job of making it stiffer and lowering the car but I personally wouldnt say it made as much difference as what a sway bar would.

Edited by STYLSH

Stock isnt 19mm thick. The whiteline upgraded one is 19mm thick! From the superpro catalogue the stock bars comes either as 16mm or 17mm as they are the sizes that are made for gen4s. Sway bar makes the most difference. So on a budget, I'd just get the whiteline sway bar for about $180 and then work from there. The lowering springs did their job of making it stiffer and lowering the car but I personally wouldnt say it made as much difference as what a sway bar would.

my bad lol. its not 19, but now i can't remember if it was 16 or 17.....anyways the whiteline is 20mm yea?

and r the whiteline coils any good? and do u know how much they lower the car by? sorry if my noob questions are getting annoying, just tell me if they r lol

1) Wouldn't bother rebuilding unless you want to make the engine BETTER rather than newer :P

2) As Anthony and Dave have said, Whiteline RSB makes a mountain of difference... just ask anyone that has one :)