Nissan Maxima

So I've been busy lately, travelling from site to site

Got myself a nissan maxima, damn ugly, but interior was nice indeed.

When driven hard, the car would rev out, then sit on the redline all the way past 100kmh, no feeling of changing gear

What's going on?

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo

So I've been busy lately, travelling from site to site

Got myself a nissan maxima, damn ugly, but interior was nice indeed.

When driven hard, the car would rev out, then sit on the redline all the way past 100kmh, no feeling of changing gear

What's going on?

whitestivo

CVT - Continuously Variable Transmission - basically no set ratios, the transmission varies the ratio infinitely (to a point) to keep the car in maximum power band (when flooring it) or maximum economy zone (when cruising). Kinda the reverse of a normal engine/gearbox which keeps the ratio fixed but varies the engine speed, this varies the ratio but essentially fixes the engine speed

I sort of get it

so insted of ratios in a gearbox, how does it hold certain revs? i also noticed that at cruise speed at 100kmh, it would sit at 1500rpm, but if put back into sport shift, it went into 5th and raised to 2500rpm

It felt as if the car was struggling sitting at max revs, as the torque probably peaked earlier.

Or was that just me?

Change of role at work, good old days for tocau at work aren't as common as before. Damn it. I did see a man about the stivo, i'll post up some pics of the new pieces soon... stay tuned

whitestivo

I sort of get it

so insted of ratios in a gearbox, how does it hold certain revs? i also noticed that at cruise speed at 100kmh, it would sit at 1500rpm, but if put back into sport shift, it went into 5th and raised to 2500rpm

It doesn't "hold" the revs per-se, it alters the ratio so that the revs fall into a desired range.

CVT is not nessecarily "old technology".

It has been around for years, but so has the electric motor.

Like the electric motor, they were restricted from full automotive use due to a limitation in their design. For the electric motor it was held back by battery technology, for CVT they were just too weak for use in cars. It was not till recent developments in their design and in the materials used to make them, that they are now capable of use in cars.

They are still weak gearboxes tho. The V35 Skyline 300GT breaks it's gearbox so often, they should be recalled imo.

CVT is not nessecarily "old technology".

It has been around for years, but so has the electric motor.

Like the electric motor, they were restricted from full automotive use due to a limitation in their design. For the electric motor it was held back by battery technology, for CVT they were just too weak for use in cars. It was not till recent developments in their design and in the materials used to make them, that they are now capable of use in cars.

So these "recent developments" which makes CVTs "now capable for use in cars" weren't around when the first car with a CVT was built in 1958 (the DAF 600), and was in a mainstream production model with a normal engine size (1.4L) in 1976 (Volvo 343)?

It's only recently that they have been adapted for use on LARGE POWERFUL cars, but CVTs have been on small cars since at least the 80s, if not earlier.

Just for the record scooters do not have a CVT they have a centrifugal clutch and one gear that jsut revs until the motor is at max capacity.

Some scooters DO have CVTs, especially the Maxiscooter-style (ie a "touring" scooter)