Clear layer peeling on front bumper!

maso_01993

hey guys, my parents aurion's front bumper clear layer is peeling in a 4 places that i can see. 3 are small but there is one which is next to the number plate (30cm away) which is really noticable, and also one that is on the side of the front bumper which is pretty big too. i am really picky so which is why it bothers me! i have not used any chemicals on the car apart from just normal soap...so i do not know why it would peel.

does anyone else have this problem? and should i take it back to toyota to fix?

here are some pics of the peeling....

shows 2 small partsand 1 big part that are peeling....

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ryn8fd.jpg

the one on the side of the front bumper.....

http://i32.tinypic.com/2zz0ub5.jpg

thanks in advance!

Unless you caused it, that should be covered under warranty. Definitely take it back and push for something to be done to fix it

i will take it back a.s.a.p before it starts peeling more.

The bumper scratches look like the plastic has been stressed or bent...has it had a slight bump in the front?

i think that was from going up my driveway. one time we had 5 people in the car and because the car is lowered and has 19's it scrubs (the bumper and exhaust pipe) if you do not go on an angle up the driveway.

thanks for a quick reply and your help!....cheers

stuff like that only happens if theres a stone chip and the clearcoat starts flaking away. if it was inconsistency in the finish, there'd be more of it.

judging by the cracks in the clearcoat in the second pic, i think you should take better care of your car!

Edited by lateralus

Unless you caused it, that should be covered under warranty. Definitely take it back and push for something to be done to fix it

The bumper scratches look like the plastic has been stressed or bent...has it had a slight bump in the front?

i think that was from going up my driveway. one time we had 5 people in the car and because the car is lowered and has 19's it scrubs (the bumper and exhaust pipe) if you do not go on an angle up the driveway.

Sorry mate, but without actually seeing it in person (looking at the photos) it does look as though the damage was not a manufacturing defect. I'd be surprised if Toyota fixed this... On the up side, it's only a couple hundred dollars to respray the bumper...

stuff like that only happens if theres a stone chip and the clearcoat starts flaking away. if it was inconsistency in the finish, there'd be more of it.

judging by the cracks in the clearcoat in the second pic, i think you should take better care of your car!

i think it might be stone chips as there are heaps of stone chips on the bonnet from driving on the freeway and also to melbourne and back (from sydney) a few times.

and yeah, the 2nd pic is pretty bad but as i said it was from going up the driveway. one time we had 5 people in the car and because the car is lowered and has 19's it scrubs (the bumper and exhaust pipe) if you do not go on an angle up the driveway.....has not happened again (learnt the hard way!)

Sorry mate, but without actually seeing it in person (looking at the photos) it does look as though the damage was not a manufacturing defect. I'd be surprised if Toyota fixed this... On the up side, it's only a couple hundred dollars to respray the bumper...

i will try and see if they will fix it under warranty....but now that i realise that it could be stone chips that have made it peel, i doubt they will fix it under warranty.

cheers

i had the same problem took it back to toyota but had one of the guys tell me they only clear coated the major surfaces ( i thought it was a major surface), after a little talking some more with my dealer he said he'd call someone to respray at no charge. all was good except you can kinda see the paint doesnt insactly match. but, no more flaking so i dont know if this helps but definately go down n give it a shot

i had the same problem took it back to toyota but had one of the guys tell me they only clear coated the major surfaces ( i thought it was a major surface), after a little talking some more with my dealer he said he'd call someone to respray at no charge. all was good except you can kinda see the paint doesnt insactly match. but, no more flaking so i dont know if this helps but definately go down n give it a shot

thanks, i reckon we will just take it back and hope they will respray it for no charge (maybe under warranty). thankyou everyone for your help!.....cheers!