sportivo brake noise

daniel83

hey , so i installed brand new genuine toyota pads and had my front rotors machined.

now at low speed just before the car stops a terrible Creaking type noise is coming from mainly the RHF.

ive checked everything is tight, sitting correctly.

just wondering if any1 has had a similar prob?

what u guys think of genuine pads. esp these crap SA sportivo brakes!!!!!! cheers

Did you bed the new pads in?

Might be an issue with very little transfer of pad material to the rotor. Pads are probably still green. I would consider bedding them in first then see if it still happens. :)

Personally I think the OEM pads are the issue witht he sportivos chomping thier calipers. I know plenty of guys that are using aftermarket pads on standard discs with no issues :)

Give it another few days to a week of driving. Let everything settle/bed in first. Some brakes can be like that. As long as it's not a loud squeal or grinding sound, you should be alright.

Alternatively, you can bed them in like you would with any new pads. That will speed things up.

yeah i bedded them in correctly..

been in for about 2 weeks now so id say they r bedded in by now lol..

i no the SA brakes are sh#thouse maybe thats the prob?? whats a good aftermarket option

thanks

oh can also hear a slight rotational noise at low speeds..

checked backing plate not rubbing etc?????

My next bit of advice is usually to go on a hard mountain run or something like that to get them to really settle in. I've never really come across an issue just as you describe it. Trying an aftermarket pad does seem like something I would do as well, but then that involves more cost.

Personally I think the OEM pads are the issue witht he sportivos chomping thier calipers. I know plenty of guys that are using aftermarket pads on standard discs with no issues :)

Nothing wrong with stock pads; cheap, take temperature well (up to 500*C), long wearing, low dust, nice cold bite; pretty much everything that makes a good street pad.

I know the noise your describing. Does it come and go?

well its only started happening with the new pads and machined rotors..

i guess it doesnt happen every single time i pull up but is very noticeable esp in the stop start morning traffic..

very loud creaking! also can feel through pedal sumtimes

basically heavy braking at 20, 40 , 60. so ABS would activate

Speeds are a bit slow, I start at 60 and go up to 80 a couple of times but I never come to a stop. I usually release the brake at 20-30km/h. After doing the procedure don't come to a stop for a while so they can cool down. I prefer to not have ABS kicking in, it just need to be heavy braking, not emergency braking.

Dad's car made that noise for a couple weeks but it went away.

basically heavy braking at 20, 40 , 60. so ABS would activate

Try something like this:

Do you want them bed in for the street or track?

I'll explain the softer way for the street I do.

Go to quiet road, while on the way drag the brake a little to get some heat into the system for 1km or so (don't want heat shock to the system). Then do a few heavy brakes from 70-30km/h, increase speed to 90-30 a couple of times and then drive off cooling the brakes down. Do not stop during the process or soon after doing it. You'll notice the brakes smelling funny and not working as effectively as you do more stops.

Instead of slowing to 30km/h though, I usually slow down to about 15km/h then accelerate back up to speed as quick as I can, then repeat. That's just me though. Seems to work for me.

Instead of slowing to 30km/h though, I usually slow down to about 15km/h then accelerate back up to speed as quick as I can, then repeat. That's just me though. Seems to work for me.

Thats fine, as long as you don't stop or go too slow there won't be any issues.

Yeah I don't come to a stop when bedding in. I'm gonna try machining rotors again and get new pads .. Cause I think the guy who machined them didn't use a brush to dust off the metal particals etc. So the pads may have picked up the metal???

Don't waste your money getting them machined again, it just brings you one big step closer to having to replace the rotors. Any metal pickup is fine, it'll wear off.

As for the squeal that goes way with brake pressure, it wont affect braking performance. Check to see if the anti squeal shims were put back in. Another option is to chamfer the edges of the pad, might not work, but up to you if it is worth a try. Some people put copper grease behind the backing plate of the pad, again might not work.