Adding Handsfree to ZR6

JAID

Hello all,

I have a number of questions interelated. Would be obliged if any can answer some.

I wish to put a Parrot MKi9200 bluetooth handsfree along with the Parrot UNIKA steering wheel button control device into my stock standard 2008 Sportivo ZR6. As the standard ZR6 steering wheel has limited buttons it would be ideal if one pad could be replaced with another with more buttons or at least a current blank be activated.

The ZR6 has two audio toggles and one mode switch on the LHS and one Display mode button and a blank on the RHS of the 3 spoke steering wheel. A note to Toyota elicited that buttons are available. Several discussions with the local spare parts crew elicited that the RHS button panel could be replaced (and at an affordable price.) Discussion with an Auto electician suggested that the coil circuit board or whatever the wiring loom comes to at the steering wheel probably wouldn't carry a signal anyway.

To ensure suitability Parrot would like to know the brand and model of the AM/FM Radio 6 CD stacker which is standard in the car. Parts tell me that this is a Toshiba but that model is unknown. Any further comment on that?

It occurs to me that if we get an or a few extra buttons if they are not operating anything else, the way the UNIKA system jockies onto other controls without affecting their other use may be useless anyway as the extra buttons would not be wired into any other specific operation.

When the GPS options are added in to this vehicle the RHS steering wheel button pad is different to the stock standard one I have. Can it be assumed that the wiring loom doesnt change with that? That is, would there be wiring ends left available to take the additional buttons?

There is a fair bit of detailed knowledge required to answer I suppose, but perhaps somebody has had this apart.

Thanks

Ian

Discussion with an Auto electician suggested that the coil circuit board or whatever the wiring loom comes to at the steering wheel probably wouldn't carry a signal anyway.

It occurs to me that if we get an or a few extra buttons if they are not operating anything else, the way the UNIKA system jockies onto other controls without affecting their other use may be useless anyway as the extra buttons would not be wired into any other specific operation.

When the GPS options are added in to this vehicle the RHS steering wheel button pad is different to the stock standard one I have. Can it be assumed that the wiring loom doesnt change with that? That is, would there be wiring ends left available to take the additional buttons?

The wiring harness is already there. The way it works is by varying resistance when a particular button is pressed. If you obtain the appropriate circuit board/button assembly, you can just replace the blank panel there and you can work off that. As you mentioned though, you will need to tie into it because those new buttons won't work on anything else if they weren't already there.

Getting your handsfree to tie into this can potentially create some issues, but that all depends on how it connects. I personally have never heard of the UNIKA system before. I will look it up in the meantime. The reason I say this is depending on how the UNIKA connects, if it ties in parallel with the controls, it needs to be a high resistance circuit otherwise it will potentially cancel out your existing audio controls. If it ties into the existing controls in series, then it needs to be of low resistance for the same reason. Just basic electronic knowledge there. Probably best to ask the people where you are getting it from.

These pictures here will give you an idea of how the on hook/off hook buttons tie into the harness already there:

Left side:

dsc02392h.jpg

Right Side:

dsc02394j.jpg

Basic layout (corresponds with the orange, pink, and yellow wires behind the head unit):

control.jpg

To ensure suitability Parrot would like to know the brand and model of the AM/FM Radio 6 CD stacker which is standard in the car. Parts tell me that this is a Toshiba but that model is unknown. Any further comment on that?

The stock head units are Fujitsu Ten which share some commonality with Eclipse.

• 8 months later...