remote start

wilbur94

hello

i was wondering if u can get a remote start system on my aurion zr6 with push botton start my son has a mercedes e350 and all he dose is when you are walking up to it he pushes the panic botton once and the engine starts and it can be done on the aurion as i came across this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPsgOgkjo4 its the same key as mine

thanks

wilbur

Yes it is possible, but firstly will only work with the remote boot release for the Toyota remote. Secondly, it will obviously disable the remote boot release. And thirdly, it is quite pointless because you need to be fairly close to the car that it doesn't justify the need for it.

All it involves is disconnecting the +12v and ground connections from the boot release solenoid and connecting it to a relay instead. Then the N/O and common of the relay connect to the push button start switch and brake light switch.

Also defeats the purpose of the convenience of the Smart Key in which you then have to take it out of your pocket to start the car.

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't mind setting something like this up myself, but I'd rather not lose my boot release on the key fob.

Any reason why it couldn't be wired to the panic alarm button instead? Its not like I ever use that button. I mean, if I catch somebody trying to get near/into my car, I'm not gonna make it beep and flash pretty lights at them, I'd more likely go grab 'em by the throat! (OK, so maybe I'm a bit protective of my car!)

Also defeats the purpose of the convenience of the Smart Key in which you then have to take it out of your pocket to start the car.

The concept has its merits. I live in a suburban unit. I leave my car either parked out the front in my driveway, or in my garage, within range of the remote almost anywhere in my house, and I generally only park no more than 40 or 50 metres from work. At home or work I don't normally put my keys in my pocket til I'm outside the door (have to lock the doors from outside at both). It would be good to able to start the car while grabbing my gear to head for work, or while locking up at work, so by the time I get to my car the climate control has got the interior to a comfortable temperature instead of getting into a sauna/freezer.

Edited by Paradigm

Any reason why it couldn't be wired to the panic alarm button instead?

Your complete alarm controls are done through the main ECU. Rewiring it so that your panic button will operate your Start/Stop button would firstly disable your alarm completely (and also mean if your key is in range and someone sets your alarm off... the car will start), and will also play havoc with your car because the output for the alarm goes on and off constantly to flash the lights and beep the horn. This would mean if you were to wire it up, pressing the panic button will be like pressing your Start/Stop button continuously in 1 second intervals. Definitely not good.

This is why they use the boot release. When you press that button, the output is only on for 1-2 seconds which means that the switch will only be triggered once.

I leave my car either parked out the front in my driveway, or in my garage, within range of the remote almost anywhere in my house, and I generally only park no more than 40 or 50 metres from work.

I get the feeling that you might be thinking of the wrong type of range here. Are you trying to say you are in range as in you are far but close enough that the remote buttons work? Because this remote start trick will only work when you are in the key detection zone. The front and rear room oscillators that you can see in the attached diagram below form the actuation area of the push button start function and it's primary range is within the cabin of the car. Any range further than that can be very iffy, especially with the doors closed. This is why on the YouTube video, they are operating it with the door open:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

lockk.jpg

It's only when you are within this range that the Start/Stop button will work. If you are outside of this area, the button won't work meaning that you can not remote start your car. This is why I said in my first reply:

And thirdly, it is quite pointless because you need to be fairly close to the car that it doesn't justify the need for it.

If you want to test this. Get someone to stand 2 metres away from your car holding the key then you sit inside your car with the doors closed and the windows up, then try seeing if you can start your car. If you manage to succeed, get the other person to step further back until you can't operate the button, or if you don't succeed, then get them to slowly move closer. This will then tell you the maximum distance you can be from the car for it to work. You will most likely find that the distance will be that small that it would be just as easy to open your car door and press the button yourself.

Cheers for clearing that up Daryl.

Are you trying to say you are in range as in you are far but close enough that the remote buttons work?

Thats exactly what I'm saying. But if the key needs to be within the required range that it normally would for the start/stop button to work, then its a pointless waste of effort wiring it up. The start/stop button doesn't work if the key is outside of the cabin to the extent that if I am standing outside the car with the key in my right pocket, and I stick my left foor in on the brake and hit the button, the button still won't work as my right leg (and therefore pocket and the key) are still outside that cabin.

Bollocks to that idea then.