Insurance claim, I was clipped on the tail.

h3ctic

G'day guys,

i was clipped on the back today by a guy trying to change lanes. he scratched the bumper a little and damage isnt too bad. Slightly morphed a bit. I got his details and such but now im not sure where to go from there. I've never done anything like this. Should i make an insurance claim or something? and if so, how do i go about it? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

x2 call the insurance company ask about the excess as well you may not have to pay this as it was not your fault. What insurance company are you with.?

WHen i had a claim with nrma i called they gave me a claim number and they discussed where i was going to send the car to get repaired and then arranged with the repairer and all went smoothly.

Good Luck.

G'day guys,

i was clipped on the back today by a guy trying to change lanes. he scratched the bumper a little and damage isnt too bad. Slightly morphed a bit. I got his details and such but now im not sure where to go from there. I've never done anything like this. Should i make an insurance claim or something? and if so, how do i go about it? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

With RACV they cover a hit in the rear with no excess (at least that's what they did for me), provided you give them the full details of the offending driver. I believe all or most of the insurance companies have some sort of an agreement with each other on this.

Edited by peregrine

So you have no insurance. or third party.?

Greenslip is compulsory and different to other insurance.

third party covers the other car damage if you cause and accident and comprehensive is just that covers everything.

I would call the other guys insurance and have a talk to them due to the privacy act they will not give you details of the other guy but you can ask general questions.

Hope this helps

Also Have you taken your car to a repairer and received a quote so you know how much damage there is.

this is what i would do but this is just e it is up to you .

1. go to the panel beater get a quote to fix the damage.

2. ring the guys insurance company.

Organize for the guys insurance company to inspect the car.

4. get the car repaired.

Enjoy Driving and good luck

others maybe have other ideas but this is just my two cents.

if youre not at fault, you can claim for your damages through the other driver's insurer providing they've already lodged a claim on their policy

it may take a little while through, as insurers generally only settle their own client first before any third party's, and your settlement is always subject to whether or not their client has paid their excess straight up.

h3ctic... if im not mistaken... i think u are on ur own...

as u have no cover u will not be covered for anythin.... :angry:

u should start considerin looking around getting quotes and see if this guy is willing to pay for it..

wat if the guy refuses to give me his insurance company info and refuses to pay the quote?

section 54 of the insurance contracts act 1984 baby!

under s54, an insurer must pay a third party even where there is no cooperation from their client. but youve got to prove youve made reasonable enquiries and attempts to contact, locate or seek reimbursement from the other driver. if you can prove the other driver is liable for your damages and that your damage would normally be covered by there policy (ie. nil exclusions) then you can lodge a s54 claim on their policy

I had someone reverse into my car.

I only had third party insurance.

THEY should make a claim, and give you the claim number.

Then you can ring up their insurance company, state the claim number, and then discuss options to get your car fixed.

That's what I had to do. You shouldn't have to make the claim if you're not at fault.

But if they aren't willing to make a claim, or didn't have insurance, then I think you're stuffed.

Get quotes and find out how much it'll cost you, and see if they are willing to pay for the damage...

But yeah, good luck dude. Life's a bitch.

How can no one have insurance? Don't you people have CTP?

- If someone hits you from the rear REGARDLESS - then they're at fault. They should tell you which insurance company they're through.

- I dunno anything about this greenslip stuff, so dunno what that entitles you to...

- If they hit you and they have no insurance, you can legally sue them for the damages. If YOU actually had PROPER insurance and they didn't have any at all, then your insurance company would sue their ***** after your car's been sorted out.

I only know this coz my last Camry had a similar scenario. Some lady rear-ended a 4WD, which then ricocheted into the back of mine at a set of lights. I had 3rd party, the 4WD had full comp, but the person that caused the accident didn't have any insurance at all.

Either way, my insurance company contacted the person who caused the accident and asked her to sign a form stating that she was responsible for the accident (I had police reports and everything... she wasn't gonna get away with it). Once the form was signed, my car was repaired. If I had full comp, my car would have been repaired - no questions asked... regardless of whether the person had caused the accident had insurance or not. RACQ (my insurance company at the time) said that they technically sue the person who caused the accident.

That's what I know anyway.

talked to the guy. have arranged to have the back bumper fixed up on thursday. seems all good. lets see how it pans out on thurs. fingers crossed.

but its a relief that he didnt try and be an **** about it. good for him.

similar drama happened to my gf, but she was on third party. let me tell you, third party with AAMI IS A BEEEEEEEYATCH. they pretty much ignore you with everything, the only best thing to do is get quotes and give it to the person, if they dont fix it up in a particular date then sue their *****!

on the spot of the crash, should always write up a note and get the driver to sign it, that its their fault to reduce drama from happening...