AE82 Twincam

jaderd

Cheers guys...its coming along well, havent given it a wash yet as i want to let the paint sit for a bit before i attack it with wash liquid etc.

What is the normal time period before you can wet/wash a panel that has been painted....remembering its just spray can paint, the internet mentions 1 month for full body respray.

cheers

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

decent effort there with the painting, one thing though you said u painted it with out washing it or polishing it first? one problem youll run into is that once you try to polish it back, if youve painted over dirty paint youll always get a line through it, where the dirt is trapped under the paint layers. in regards to washing it depending on how thick and how many layers youve applyed i would give it 2-3days

no sorry....my bad, the areas i painted were cleaned and wax/grease remover put on etc...proper prepping, i mean now that it is painted i havent washed it yet etc

yeah i thought by weekend i would wash it ..cheers mate

Niceee. Old school. Some of these old classics go hard for a long time, just need to fix a few little things here and there. Much more appreciation for it at the end of the day too i guess. I would love to get and old ae86 and make it my home project. I just dont have the space. Good work and good luck

yeah they are quite fun and do go hard for a 22+ year old car. Now that i have the Intake sorted with K&N panel filter, headers are ready to go, once i sell sportivo will get exhaust made up so atkes care if I/H/E then full suspension setup and should be a nice basically stock little rocket.

Even how it is now with stock suspension and no performance mods it goes quite well against modern day cars....just needs a really good clean so she is nice and shiny to shame some of the ppl with new cars that are filthy.

This one will be my daily as soon as i sell the sportivo, not really a hoe project at all, it will need to be reliable. AE86 are good although very overpriced esp in stock ADM guise with the 4AC......not really thrilling.

ghey as aids price ;).....anxious about tongith at 4.30pm got carswanted.com.au coming around to look at stivo, over phone without really knowing what specifics of a sportivo was he offered a not bad price in stock guise....therefore i would rip out all stock parts apart from ported headers and maybe king lows (more effort than worth selling etc) and part out items to recoup the costs i want etc

Edited by jaderd

Hey all car will be on the road tomorrow :) cant wait

Today i didnt do alot, quick little degrease on engine bay below dizzy where it used to leak prior to reco

- Cleaned the side strips and also cut & polished them back to there former nice white color.

- Cleaned out front right 1/4 panel, not as much much as the front left had

- Cleaned all interior with Meguiars Dash foam etc

- Put in genuine ZZE12X floor mats front and rear (wrong color for sportivo but had them in their for a while as got them cheap)

- Cleaned all rims with hot soapy water and toothbrush....tedious rims to clean...will use proper wheel cleaner solution next time im at carwash.

- tightened up a few loose screws in door sills and behind rear seats (just ones that hold carpet on back of seat with a panel etc)

- Found piece of paper in car which is the engine test card from the swap over engine that happened on 17th Oct 2001

- gave it a fang around the block and onto main road hitting redline in first and second.....felt quite nice

Half Cut Half not

P1020885.jpg

Not Cut

P1020884.jpg

Cut

P1020883.jpg

P1020892-1.jpg

P1020889.jpg

P1020888.jpg

P1020886.jpg

Hole was cut for sportivo as felt odd hitting the mat and not being able to push clutch to floor etc

P1020887.jpg

Next pics will be of the plates on it :)

FYI-

picking up another drivers door in white with big logo - my drivers door has dodgy paint from not last owner but the one prior to that....spray can i think lol

and also picking up another rear hatch with spoiler :) as a spare and also the little bit of dash as i want to fabricate a phone holder and dont want to wreck stock dash

Hopefully happening tuesday night

dashbit.jpg

looks the goods dude , i wanted those mats for my stivo :( , car looks great where your making your phone holder , those plastics are the hardest to find complete as they break like nothing else :(

Edited by eviltwin

well hopefully the guy can get it off in one piece.....how do they come off ? just pull toward and up or ? do they generally break when trying to take them off ?

Parts are coming from the guy who posted on Twincam as wrecking AE82 for 2 weeks etc.....getting door, hatch + spoiler and dash bit for $80 not sure if good deal or not but i said no probs lol.

mats - have got the nice darker balck / grey mats in sportivo but they will go with the sale so settled for these spare fair cacky colored ones but suit the already mutli colored cabin

Whitestivo - not too sure how it would go....figure it would near hold its own maybe ? i tell her it would flog her car anyway hahahah cos she keeps giving me crap about selling a nice car and getting an old "hunk of junk" that she refuses to hop in lol....

3 hrs 25 min and should in middle of VIC Roads appt.

with phone holder i was thinking just on that flat front bit of that dash piece....screw straight through it so nice and solid...hence why want a spare one

Edited by jaderd

with that dash piece barely tighten the two screws that hold it , they just break like nothing else due to the way they mount , you need to remove the rhs vent on the cluster housing and you will find one screw there , the other is up underneath at the base of him. The steering wheel looks to be in great condition mate , ive bought myself a nardi so ill be enquiring with you uncle about mine! Like your missus mine doesn't understand my AE82 , likes the stivo and she gets dark when ever i say "yeah it's alright i spose , got nothing on the twincam though" haha!