SIDI misconceptions

Ok, I am massively confused!! Probably because of marketing hype and lack of education on the topic. buuuuuttttt....

Is SIDI another name for something that has been in production engines in one form or another since WW2 and every other big brand car manufacturer has used a variant of SIDI since? So GM/Holden come into the game late and start touting it as a revolution to the car industry?

Can anyone elaborate on my uneducated research?

I have used this a reference for the most part

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

And i understand not to trust anything on the internet as gospel but I am interested in everyones opinions.

well holden tried to claim fame to "esp" as a revolutionary safety feature but it had been on foreign cars for ages. which is annoying as now all government funded safety campaigns use a commonwhore as the display vehicle and call it "esp"

so its no wonder theyre doing the same with sidi.

on the bright side, toyotas world-acclaimed 2gr-fse has had direct/ported injection since 2006 :) so holden can stick that in their pipe and smoke it

Edited by lateralus

What I don't get is that if Holden and others are saying that their direct injection is more fuel economic, then why didn't Toyota use the 2GR-FSE in the Aurion? Just that part of me that wanted the extra power I guess.

What I don't get is that if Holden and others are saying that their direct injection is more fuel economic, then why didn't Toyota use the 2GR-FSE in the Aurion? Just that part of me that wanted the extra power I guess.

I would assume this is because the 2GR-FE was already more fuel efficient and powerful vs the non-DI GM motor during both their release time frames and Toyota are keeping it up their sleeves to push their next gen range. I suspect the next line up of Toyota V6s will have 2GR-FSE engines and claim improvements over both the last gen Toyota V6 the DI GM motor.

If I am right, unfortunately Toyota don't think they can trend set in Australia rather match or better their competition.

Once the 2GR-FSE is put into a Toyota I will lose some love for my Aurion.

Cost would have been one factor behind Toyota's decision no doubt, why put something in the car that was more expensive and would have made the car dearer and less competitive against the competition when the standard 2GR was already better than Falcon & Commodore in both performance, economy & emissions, and I believe atm Toyota's D4-S injection is reserved for Lexus models only in this country. That might change in the future though... ;) One can only hope!

Edited by AvalonKid

Cost would have been one factor behind Toyota's decision no doubt, why put something in the car that was more expensive and would have made the car dearer and less competitive against the competition when the standard 2GR was already better than Falcon & Commodore in both performance, economy & emissions, and I believe atm Toyota's D4-S injection is reserved for Lexus models only in this country. That might change in the future though... ;) One can only hope!

well if the 1mz-fe was exclusive to lexus es in the 90s, and then later replaced the 3vz-fe in the camrys, with the 3mz then replacing the 1mz in the lexus', i dont see why the 2gr-fse wouldnt be able to replace the 2gr-fe in the aurion in years to come. but then again, they may decide on a different engine family to use altogether

Edited by lateralus

Spark Ignition Direct Injection, very nice indeed how it works, a big step up for the HFV6 motor, from 195kw to 215kw, 3.6L, and a new motor 3.0L, I dont know who made it first but Holden have been using it already in their Z22SE motor for a few years, the Z22SE motor has minor problems with the high pressure motor and no doubt the VE motor will aswell... the SIDI isnt 'VE series 2', i dont think there will be a series 2, but this motor is going in the 'VF' commodore next year..

Just because i work at holden doesnt mean im going to stick up for them lol i have no clue who 'made' SIDI, its been out for ages. at holden collage they say we are the first in the country or something like that....

That is interesting.

I think the ad says its the first Australian built engine to have it. I guess that is true, i dont know.

Considering there really is only one other Australian-built engine, it's kind of a moot point.

It's like winning the Melbourne Cup when there are only two horses.