Headunit Review (Ebay Special)

imposter

Hello all, I recently purchased a headunit for my Aurion from Ebay. I purchased the unit from user 'pay_per_view', it was advertised as being plug and play with the Aurion and the Camry. It has GPS, Bluetooth, DVD, 7" screen etc.

Today I had the unit installed, and I must admit that I am a little disappointed. I will write a quick review of the product.

Cons:

* Unit does not sit flush in the factory location, there is a gap along the bottom, and it pushes the air vents out a little

* Display button on steering wheel still works, so I can view my fuel usage etc, however other buttons (volume, scroll) do not work at all.

* I have a really old Ipod nano, at the moment it is not being recognized by the unit (might just be a software issue here)

* GPS function is not working, first I could get to the menu, but if I selected 'navigation' it was just saying that the SD card could not be recognised. Now when pushing GPS button nothing happens at all, it just displays a picture of a car.

Pro's

* Sound is really clear

* Movies play perfectly

* Reverse camera works flawlessly

* Touch screen does not lag

At this stage I am still 50/50 about the unit, I am not completely satisfied, but I don't totally regret it either. Some things such as not fitting 100% perfectly I can understand, since you get what you pay for. However, I expected the GPS to work, as well as steering controls.

I will be contacting the seller with regards to my problems and see what he/she has to say. This is the headunit that I purchased, except I got it at a slightly lower price

I hope others find this useful when deciding whether to purchase this particular unit or not. I am yet to hear back from seller, however at this stage I would advise against purchasing this unit.

I also found out today that POLARIS actually makes a headunit which replaces that of the Aurions, I think it's about $1300-1400, and it has a 6.5" screen.

Cheers,

EDIT: PICS

Vent.JPG

Vent2.JPG

Edited by imposter

I also found out today that POLARIS actually makes a headunit which replaces that of the Aurions, I think it's about $1300-1400, and it has a 6.5" screen.

Nice little write up!

Yea i have the POLARIS unit. Everything works well, but for the price it retails at i was expecting it to be a little better, it seems a bit cheap

Cheers

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the reaction from the seller. I have bought the same unit which should arrive early this coming week. Supposedly it was located in Brisbane but I have my suspicions it wasn't.

I asked them about the compatability with the AU Aurion & the reply was "The unit will arrive according to your AU car specifications and wiring."

My main interest in it is for the Bluetooth. Did you do the install yourself?

It said Brisbane but it actually came from China. I planned to install it myself but just did not get the chance, so I had it installed at an Audio shop. The wiring is is plug and play I guess, it just does not appear to be 100% compatible. The reason I bought this type of unit was because I wanted to keep volume controls on my steering wheel, otherwise I would have just bought a DIN and purchased something different.

I also managed to get GPS running yesterday, I think it may be a faulty SD card. I am not a fan of the software though.

imposter - did you ever get a response re the various issues, specifically the volume buttons on the steering wheel? Have you managed to get them working?

I received my unit yesterday (supposedly held in Brisbane, but sent from China) but won't be able to install it for a couple of weeks owing to a knee operation last week which limits my mobility. I might see if I can find an audio installer to do it for me.

The issues above seem isolated to this particualr unit as there are many users here with other units and non of the mentioned issues.

I had a look at this unit shortly after purchasing my Dig_options one and I didnt like the fact it lit up blue.

Waynus: The seller emailed me back and told me he would contact his supplier and get back to me. I was asked to please be patient, so I am not expecting an answer anytime soon.

I can not get the buttons to work, however I have managed to get the GPS going (occasionally). I am pretty sure there is an error with the SD card so I am working on it as I type this reply:p

Hidden Taco: I have looked at other units people have installed (photos on net) and you are right in that they all appear to be sitting flush, and working well. It's a shame because at the time of purchase, this seller was the only one with units. After I received it I noticed that Dig_options had new head units on offer. The blue lighting at night is terrible, you can not see the writing behind the buttons when the light is on.

I guess the main things keeping me happy are: Sound quality is great; when the GPS works it gets a signal really quick and works well; DVD playback is excellent with clear video quality and sound; reverse camera works well with the unit; and, I can play my songs using the USB.

FYI Waynus: If you end up having issues similar to me (I hope mine is a one off dud and you don't have any problems) to address the GPS issue I reloaded software onto the SD card (unit comes with a cd with software), as it appears that the SD card came with incorrect software; some files were missing and there were incorrect commands for detecting the GPS receiver.

I also ran windows error check on the SD card, as there seemed to be some issues with the card when I tried to copy/delete files, running error scan allowed me to copy and delete files.

Also if the unit is telling you that there is no SD card loaded do the following: remove card, turn the card upside down and push it in until it clicks/locks, then pull the card out, now insert it again the right way and push it all the way down. It is a dodgy method, so I don't know whether it is just a bad quality card, or there is an issue with the unit reading the card. But when you insert the card normally so that it locks in, it does not go deep enough to register, and the unit keeps saying that no card has been inserted.

More and more issues :|

Sorry to reply to myself three times in a row, but just an update for anyone who purchases this unit and has issues:

1) In my case the unit does not really sit flush in the dash

* Reply to me was: No idea, our car dvd is specail for TOYOTA Camry, so please make sure your car is this model.

I tried explaining that it is an Aurion but still same and it does not fit etc etc, but they refuse to accept that it is not sitting flush.

2) Volume controls not working

* Sellers reply: Please find the answer on the last page of your manual, there teach how to solve this problem.

You have to program these yourself, I followed the instructions and all buttons now work. I thought it would have come pre-programmed but that was not the case.

3) Ipod not being recognised

* Sellers reply: Our unit support Ipod 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations, please make sure your Nano is in these 3 Generations.

4) GPS plays up alot, when it works it is 100% perfect, however sometimes it says that NO SD CARD IS FOUND.

* Sellers reply: On the top of the unit, there is one small whole shows reset, please press it, and take SD card out, and insert again, it will find the SD card, if not, please try it again until unit find the SD card.

For the record this does not work, I am led to believe that there is either an issue with the SD card/SD card reader in the unit. I will soon try a new SD card in there and see if it makes a difference.

Also the software on the SD card is not 100% correct and needs to be reloaded from the CD supplied

If anyone has any questions about this unit feel free to PM me or reply here. I am trying to sort out as much as I can.

Sorry to reply to myself three times in a row, but just an update for anyone who purchases this unit and has issues:

1) In my case the unit does not really sit flush in the dash

* Reply to me was: No idea, our car dvd is specail for TOYOTA Camry, so please make sure your car is this model.

I tried explaining that it is an Aurion but still same and it does not fit etc etc, but they refuse to accept that it is not sitting flush.

2) Volume controls not working

* Sellers reply: Please find the answer on the last page of your manual, there teach how to solve this problem.

You have to program these yourself, I followed the instructions and all buttons now work. I thought it would have come pre-programmed but that was not the case.

3) Ipod not being recognised

* Sellers reply: Our unit support Ipod 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations, please make sure your Nano is in these 3 Generations.

4) GPS plays up alot, when it works it is 100% perfect, however sometimes it says that NO SD CARD IS FOUND.

* Sellers reply: On the top of the unit, there is one small whole shows reset, please press it, and take SD card out, and insert again, it will find the SD card, if not, please try it again until unit find the SD card.

For the record this does not work, I am led to believe that there is either an issue with the SD card/SD card reader in the unit. I will soon try a new SD card in there and see if it makes a difference.

Also the software on the SD card is not 100% correct and needs to be reloaded from the CD supplied

If anyone has any questions about this unit feel free to PM me or reply here. I am trying to sort out as much as I can.

Thanks for all of this. I am hoping I might get to mine later today & if so will report any issues. If there are any then it will be going back - I won't have your patience.

I will claim the item has been misrepresented & does not do what it is claimed it will do. Look at it all - claimed to suit an Aurion (but they seem to be saying in an email Camry only) & it doesn't fit properly; sent from China when item location stated as Brisbane; faulty SD card or SD reader. Will be an interesting exercise.

Hi guys,

I have now been selling these units for a year now and to date have tested around 7-8 units from that number of different manufacturers. Some have been high quality, and others complete rubbish. One unit I tested did have an issue similar to your problem with the SD card. It turned out to be a faulty sd card reader where the sd card simply wasn't sitting in the slot properly. Try and take the sd card out, clean and push it back in. You may need to insert a little piece of card on top or below the card to hold it in position. If this fixes up the problem, you may like to ask your supplier for a replacement sd card reader. Please feel free to PM me if you need any help with sorting out your problems.

Good luck.

Matt

hi guys,

i got the same unit from the same guy with all the same problems,

firstly it would not read the SD card, then a week later it worked out of the blue it just decided to work, then it wasn't receiving a signal, had to open it up and found the installer didn't connect the receiver to the back of the unit so after i corrected that mistake i found out that i have to manually search for the GPS signal every time i want to use it, then it works great.

secondly, it doesn't fit perfectly as you say it pushed my air con unit a little up and a gap on the bottom.

and thirdly, my buttons on the steering wheel don't work properly, when you press the volume down nothing happens but press the volume up and the volume goes down, the only thing that does work is the up/down scroll buttons.

the only good thing about the whole unit is the way it lights up at night

so its occurred to me maybe that's why it was so cheap.

Kasemi:

You don't need to manually search for the GPS receiver all the time. Open the softtware files on the SD card, look for a file called sys.txt, open it in note pad and just change the port and buad settings from 2 and 4800 or whatever they are, to port 1 baud 9600 (Or the figures that come out when you autoscan). Then it will connect automatically, without needing to search.

To fix buttons, with car turned on, power off the headunit. Grab your remote control, and push '8' then 'setup'. It will take you to a setup menu where you need to program steering controls. Instructions are on second last page of booklet.

If you need further information or help let me know, I have addressed all issues except fitment so far. I think that the headunit is not so bad TBH, if the fitment issue is addressed everything will be alright.

When I get a chance I will take off the trim and see what can be done.

Kasemi:

You don't need to manually search for the GPS receiver all the time. Open the softtware files on the SD card, look for a file called sys.txt, open it in note pad and just change the port and buad settings from 2 and 4800 or whatever they are, to port 1 baud 9600 (Or the figures that come out when you autoscan). Then it will connect automatically, without needing to search.

To fix buttons, with car turned on, power off the headunit. Grab your remote control, and push '8' then 'setup'. It will take you to a setup menu where you need to program steering controls. Instructions are on second last page of booklet.

If you need further information or help let me know, I have addressed all issues except fitment so far. I think that the headunit is not so bad TBH, if the fitment issue is addressed everything will be alright.

When I get a chance I will take off the trim and see what can be done.

Thanks for that, i will have a try first thing when i get home.

Well I installed it this morning. No real issues with the physical install & wasn't doing a camera. It fits fairly well, certainly enough for me not to be concerned.

Bluetooth works fine with my Nokia 6300;

DVD's play perfectly;

Audio CD's & MP3's play perfectly;

Radio is very clear & managed to get the steering wheel buttons working to some degree although more tweaking required. Manual instructions are not that clear to me;

Not interested in TV or IPod connections so left them alone.

NOW - the GPS does work as I took imposter's suggestions re the SD card first.

Imposter - do you know if this unit speaks the street names? There is a section to set up voices which I have done but I don't get any when the GPS is in operation. The manual says to "See User's Guide of GPS Satellite Navigator for more operation details" - that would be great if there was one, I can't find it not even on the supplied CD? The 2nd thing is when the GPS is on, is it possible to listen to the radio? I can't work out how to do this if in fact it is possible.

Good stuff champ, glad you didn't have any major issues.

To get speaking street names you need to select a voice which says TTS next to it, I am assuming you have selected a British voice with TTS next to it. For some reasonthe British TTS is not loaded onto the SD card, and selecting it will result in no spoken directions at all. When choosing a voice scroll down and find an American voice which says TTS next to it (if you want spoken street names) or any other voice if you don't care about spoken street names, that will fix it up for you.

What issue are you having with the steering buttons?

Cheers,

Edited by imposter

To get speaking street names you need to select a voice which says TTS next to it, I am assuming you have selected a British voice with TTS next to it. For some reasonthe British TTS is not loaded onto the SD card, and selecting it will result in no spoken directions at all. When choosing a voice scroll down and find an American voice which says TTS next to it (if you want spoken street names) or any other voice if you don't care about spoken street names, that will fix it up for you.

Cheers,

Cheers Imposter, found one American voice with TTS (Susan?) & that did the job. Thanks mate. Would be interested to see if I could get other voices loaded onto the SD card so will do some research during spare time this coming week.

I guess it is a deliberate design not to be able to listen to the radio or a CD whilst the satnav is operative.

No major issues with the steering buttons (AT-X) - I have the volume + and - working fine. The mode button at the moment turns the system on & off & I don't know that the other 2 are doing at this stage. The instructions are not real clear & I just need some time to sort out what the various functions are & which button(s) they need to be assigned to. I think I have managed to get the radio to Australia rather than USA2 which it seemed to default to. Anyway I have no major complaints with this unit.

Cheers,

Cheers Imposter, found one American voice with TTS (Susan?) & that did the job. Thanks mate. Would be interested to see if I could get other voices loaded onto the SD card so will do some research during spare time this coming week.

I guess it is a deliberate design not to be able to listen to the radio or a CD whilst the satnav is operative.

No major issues with the steering buttons (AT-X) - I have the volume + and - working fine. The mode button at the moment turns the system on & off & I don't know that the other 2 are doing at this stage. The instructions are not real clear & I just need some time to sort out what the various functions are & which button(s) they need to be assigned to. I think I have managed to get the radio to Australia rather than USA2 which it seemed to default to. Anyway I have no major complaints with this unit.

Hi Waynus!

I have the digi_options unit and you can listen to radio (or anything) t the same time as using the GPS by keeping the Bottom right button pressed while plying whatever you are listening to until the GPS screen comes up. (I think it is the "Band" button). That is how I can navigate backward and forward between Audio and GPS.

It may work for you??

All the best

Alfred

Also, I think if you hit the radio/cd/etc button whilst the GPS is on, it will take you to that screen, but GPS is still running in background, so when there is a turn coming up it will quickly take you back to the GPS screen, and then back to radio.

Waynus: do you mind posting a picture of how your head unit ended up fitting into the dash. Are there any gaps in yours similar to the ones I have in the pictures from first post?

Should see the issues I am having with this seller regarding the reversing camera, never will I deal with Pay_per_view again!!!!!!! Took one month for me to get it, and it is used and missing the power cable.

Also, I think if you hit the radio/cd/etc button whilst the GPS is on, it will take you to that screen, but GPS is still running in background, so when there is a turn coming up it will quickly take you back to the GPS screen, and then back to radio.

Waynus: do you mind posting a picture of how your head unit ended up fitting into the dash. Are there any gaps in yours similar to the ones I have in the pictures from first post?

Should see the issues I am having with this seller regarding the reversing camera, never will I deal with Pay_per_view again!!!!!!! Took one month for me to get it, and it is used and missing the power cable.

I'll give the GPS/Radio a test tomorrow.

I'll take a couple of photos of the unit tomorrow as well & post them up.

I just hope this unit doesn't fail because the chances of getting any satisfaction seem remote judging from your experience so far. I seriously have doubts about a seller who states item is in Brisbane & ships it direct from China - I'm still considering whether to report this to EBay.

out of curiosity..can you use the tomtom GPS map/system on these units.

Its just that soo many gps systems are sooo GAY. I was curious to know if it uses the tom tom menu instead of something like garmin for example.

curious to hear feedback on the GPS and what they use