Nokia Bluetooth auto assign connection

fish475

Apart from the hollow/weaker voice the receiver experiences when using the bluetooth whilst driving.

My Nokia 6120Classic used to connect and disconnet fine each time I jumped in the car. About once every six months I would re down load the phones software to keep it all going the way it mean't to.

Last week I got a new Nokia 6720 with the 5 meg camera. Well it's totally pot luck if it will auto reconnnect each time I get in the car.

19 times out of 20 it has to manually reasigned. I've re loaded the lastest software to phone which was up to date in the first place approx 4 times. But it has not resolved the probem. Also it has been repeatedly reset to authorise it to connect automatically.

IN SUMMARY the 6720 is Crap re my problem, otherwise it's fine. So my daughters have picked an otherwise nice phone for nicks.

So in the Nokia range of late model phones who had success with what nokia phones.

As my old/used 6120classic is a liitle worn and instead of buying another new nokia and hoping for the best. I may be better of just buying another 6120Classic as there quite cheap and will most likely work properly.

EDIT, I have the 6 stacker/bluetooth gen toyota head upgrade.

Thanks,

Garry

Edited by fish475

We've tried a couple of Nokias including my 6500 Classic, as well as a new Samsung.

Haven't yet found one that works well with the Kluger bluetooth...

Toyota will reluctantly admit that the Stereo bluetooth for reasons unknown is not compatable with certain model phones. This topic has been extensively covered already, you just need to find the thread in the forum. I've had my stereo replaced with no chance in result. For some reason, most Dopod (HTC), Sony Erricson phones work fine but Nokia is hit & miss, as is Blackberry & ZTE (Telstra)

I've just bought a new Nokia 5730, so far okay but unsure about the tunnel effect on voice level.

I'm one of those guys who has created previous threads re the crappy Head unit Toyota put in.

My solution was to sell of my new 6720 and just get another 6120C that I have put away for when my current 2yr old 6120 stops working. This way I know it will auto connect each time. Even if the receiver get a hollow sounding reception, which I believe is the headunits fault.

The person I sold it to has new Commodore wagon and it Auto connects fine.

Wished I had never payed $850 for 6 stacker/bluetooth unit upgrade for KX-R, I only wanted the bluetooth capability. Its never been as good as the car for the whole 2 years I've had it. As we all know here on this forum.

Edited by fish475

My N95 8GB connects 95% of the time - sometimes I need to restart the phone - but this happens with all handsfree kits.

Agree the Kx-s Toyota head unit is not worth the upgrade - I am close to replacing mine with the FlyAudio gps unit.

I ordered the switch and unit earlier this week.

My Nokia 6600 fold always connects no worries! The only issue is that the unit in the car cant upload my phonebook. When I quizzed Toyota Aust they said some Nokia's do that so if I wanted it fixed I need to talk to Nokia to get a firmware upgrade that would fix the problem......of course my reply to the phone monkey breaches forum rules so I will say no more!

Edited by Freewuns

• 3 months later...

Got an old 6233 (which was a flash phone for it's time) and it connects automatically without a problem each time I get into the car, seems like I'm lucky...

My wife has an old, old 6230 and that does NOT auto connect.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I'm just about to pick up a new KX-S and have an old Nokia 6151. I have been planning to upgrade it - if it doesn't reliably connect to the new car, that'll be enough of a trigger for me to switch to a Sony Erricson ...

Anyone know if an iPhone has any issues?

Roger.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I'm just about to pick up a new KX-S and have an old Nokia 6151. I have been planning to upgrade it - if it doesn't reliably connect to the new car, that'll be enough of a trigger for me to switch to a Sony Erricson ...

Anyone know if an iPhone has any issues?

Roger.

There was an article in the cars guide section of the Brisbane Courier Mail recently that said most OEM in-car bluetooth systems were well behind mobile phones in terms of technology. It went on to say that people had upgraded their phones thinking that would solve the problem, but it actually made it worse as the newer phones were having compatibility issues with the older technoglogy and protocols in the OEM car systems.

Got an old 6233 (which was a flash phone for it's time) and it connects automatically without a problem each time I get into the car, seems like I'm lucky...

You need to maually switch between phones with the stero in the KX-S. From memory:

1. Hit the green phone button.
  2. Turn the left knob until "Bluetooth" is shown on the display.
  3. Press the left knob.
  4. Turn the left knob until "Select Phone" is shown on the display.
  5. Press the left knob.
  6. Turn the left knob until the name of the desired phone is shown on the display.
  7. Press the left knob.
  8. The screen flashes "(connecting" or somthing similar) until the phone is connected.
  9. Once connected the screen flashes up "successful".
  10. You may then need to press the red phone button to get out of the menu.

The above may not be 100% accurate but you should be enough for you to be able to find your way through it.

My N95 8GB connects 95% of the time - sometimes I need to restart the phone - but this happens with all handsfree kits.

My Sony Ericsson K750 connects without fuss 100% of the time :P

You need to maually switch between phones with the stero in the KX-S. From memory:

1. Hit the green phone button.
  2. Turn the left knob until "Bluetooth" is shown on the display.
  3. Press the left knob.
  4. Turn the left knob until "Select Phone" is shown on the display.
  5. Press the left knob.
  6. Turn the left knob until the name of the desired phone is shown on the display.
  7. Press the left knob.
  8. The screen flashes "(connecting" or somthing similar) until the phone is connected.
  9. Once connected the screen flashes up "successful".
  10. You may then need to press the red phone button to get out of the menu.

The above may not be 100% accurate but you should be enough for you to be able to find your way through it.

Kesawi, many thanks for the reply... this is why I love the forums, you state a problem and more likely than not, someone who's reading knows the answer...

Sure enough, changing the phone pairing using the radio's menu works a treat, I think this is extermely silly and unnecessary however I'll have to learn to live with it. Most likely the wife's phone will be setup as default and I'll have to remember to change to mine when I'm privileged enough to drive it on the weekends :(

Kesawi, many thanks for the reply... this is why I love the forums, you state a problem and more likely than not, someone who's reading knows the answer...

Sure enough, changing the phone pairing using the radio's menu works a treat, I think this is extermely silly and unnecessary however I'll have to learn to live with it. Most likely the wife's phone will be setup as default and I'll have to remember to change to mine when I'm privileged enough to drive it on the weekends :(

Glad to be of assistance.

I can see one advantage in not having the stereo switch between phones automatically. If two people get in the car each with a mobile, then how does the system chose which phone to connect with? The driver's phone should have priority, but I'm not sure how the system could be programmed to determine which is the driver's. Also, the passenger may not want to use the car hands free, and it would also be less distracting for the driver.

I can also see one disadvantage. My partner has two moblies, one for work and one for personnal use. It would be nice to have both synced to the hands free.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

As far as i know, bluetooth can only handle one connection at the time. That means that even if you have two phones configured in the system, only the last phone paired will re-pair automatically. If you want to change the phone, you have to manually do it. Both my HTC and my wife's iPhone paired quickly when each was the last connected. But it was a hassle to change which phone to connect. That is with the standar KX-S audio unit and with the flyaudio that I have upgraded. Solution for me, my wife uses the car the whole week, so just leave her phone programmed. Over the weekends, I just use her phone if I need to make a call while I'm driving, or use my speakerphone if I'm driving alone. And BTW, the latest flyaudio unit can access your mobile phonebook as well as the sim card numbers. Downside is that there is no search function. I need to scroll through the XXX number of contacs I have to find one - it's faster using the phone and then hit dial!

Calichin

Hi,

The kluger is great except for the radio/Bluetooth. My Nokia 6120 works fine, my wifes 6120 won't connect??? work that out, so we replaced hers with a Nokia 6720 and now it works sometimes. The screen comes up with not available??? often. She's not happy.

Anyway our dealer has placed an order to replace it under warranty.

i must say the Tom Tom GPS has a better Bluetooth, it picks up all the contacts automatically and is more user friendly. The Kluger should be great but it's not. Toyota need a hurry up especially for the price one pays for a new one.

Geoff