Inside the in-dash 6 CD changer

DJKOR

For quite some time I had always wondered how my old in-dash 6 CD stacker actually worked. What made me curious was the fact that the actual CD player and changer component is about the height of a CD-ROM drive meaning that there wouldn't appear to be much room for it to all work inside. What was even more intriguing is that even after inserting a full 6 discs that stack up on top of each other, you can still select any disc you want and eject it. I had always wondered how this was possible.

So while I had my head unit out of storage this morning, I took the top end off it and recorded what goes on inside. In the video, you can see I insert 3 discs, then eject the 2nd disc, followed by the 1st and then the 3rd:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

curiosity still has the better of me.. on the ve commo 6 stacker, the cd insertion is right at the top.. i mean top top, how does it get the bottom cd out, does it squeeze all 5 cd's above the insertion?? nice vid too :huh:

holden-ve-commodore-8-big.jpg

^ That's just like the Aurion one. On the Aurion, it does look like the CD slot is not near the top, but if you take the unit out and look at it side on, the CD slot is right on the top as well, but there is a little trick the unit uses to do it's magic. It can angle the discs.

As you can see in the video, the discs are held mainly by the rear-right (appears as lower-left in the video). The discs are then able to be pushed at an angle to allow the discs on top to be pushed up high allowing the discs underneath enough clearance to eject. If you pay attention to the video when the discs move up and down, you can see how they kind of have a bit of movement in them.