modifying toyota camry headlights

PatrickBlaze

If the SV33 lights are somewhat similar in construction to the SV21 headlights, then the inside surface of the glass will not be smooth and clear. This would mean that fitting projectors is not going to be an easy task (ie. not a DIY job unless you have some professional tools).

first you have to buy projectors and bulbs that will fit them (usually hids).. mind you projectors cost a few good hundred :(

have a look on google for projector retrofitting, a few people on these forums have done it (only one i can recall is STYLSH)

first you have to buy projectors and bulbs that will fit them (usually hids).. mind you projectors cost a few good hundred :(

have a look on google for projector retrofitting, a few people on these forums have done it (only one i can recall is STYLSH)

That's not the first step. First step is to confirm what his headlights look like. I say this because the local Camry from around that year had headlights that will be incompatible with projectors. There is the possibility that his import may be the same. My headlights looked like the one below. The front surface is glass meaning that it's not like Perspex where you can carefully sand those ridges down yourself.

TSV4500NLR-1-marked.jpg

Well if it is plastic but still has those ridges on it (used to aim the light), then you will need to have that made clear before you should consider putting projectors in. The process for this involves sanding the ridges down till the surface is flat, then using finer and finer sandpaper and then working to a light cutting paste, you make the surface clear and smooth. This will make the lens surface thinner, but at least it will enable the projectors to do their job.

Have a plastic shop cut and plastic weld a clear panel in there (may have to put a certain grade to withstand heat and rocks - maybe lexan). Easiest but will not be cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

Molding will be very very expensive as they will have to firstly make the mold and then using the mold to make your covers. I was thinking of getting them to cut a circle out where the projectors will go (making it bigger tho) and then getting them to weld in a clear piece in that spot. The light beam coming from the projector won't be very big at that point so its do-able. And I have seen cars with such setup from stock. Pricewise for this, I wouldn't have a clue though. As a guide, i got my front lip plastic welded together after it smashed into 10+ pieces and it costed me $150.