DIY Corolla service

Hey,

Do any of you guys who own a corolla do your own oil and oil filter changes?

For the zze model, is it just a standard screw on oil filter?

For the zre model, is it complicated? because i was looking around on the net and stumbled upon;

http://forum.doityourself.com/automotive-s...r-location.html

so i was wondering does that apply to the our zre?

and since im here, is it the same for the 03 camry's?

Im just thinking about doing minor services for my family and hoping that its not too complicated.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Most definatly a great experience. Get the hands dirty! it's very very easy and it takes no time at all once you've done it once or twice and also much much cheaper. The filter is a screw type.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah same here. It's not too hard, just make sure you got the right parts :P and also the right tools. (used a crab claw to take off the old filter and was scared ****less becuz the oil filter was warped and I thought I warped the screw on the block as well)

Yeah I just started doing it

saves me about 50 bucks every 3 months plus I get to put in some "real" synthetic oil rather than to thin castrol edge the mech puts in

If you have trouble with the oil filter just punch a hole in it with a screwdriver and twist it off

wear gloves as warm/Hot oil sucks and makes clean up so much easier afterwards

was a good feeling when I started her up and she purred rather than sounded like a diesel before the oil change

Next thing is the plugs but I have to grow the Balls to do those LOL

Definatly only use the screw driver through the filter as a last resort , can be very messy and also see you sheer the filter rather than loosen it and then your in real trouble. The best thing is to make sure everything is nice and clean while your under there and use good tools for the job.

As a side note spark plugs are easier than changing oil.

Make sure you're smearing fresh oil on the rubber filter seal before screwing it on, that's the #1 cause of stuck filters. You really shouldn't need to use a screwdriver on them regularly. Also don't over-tighten them, it's usually right to just screw them on till the seal contacts the mating surface, then another half turn to tighten.

Do that, and they should come off by hand. If you're new to home-servicing I recommend going down to SuperCheap and looking for a DIY kit - they consist of a drain pan (to catch the dirty oil you're draining out), a filter wrench (used to get tight filters off without destroying them or getting messy), and a funnel which can he handy for filling up the oil when you're done without dripping it over the engine bay.

eg. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-st...=107265#details

I have done my own servicing for some time now, coming from a young age where i relied on cars for work, so had little choice.

Minor servicing is fairly simple, but dont forget that there are other things to be checked while doing it- brake pads, fluid levels, handbrake adjust, leaks, lights, all those bits and pieces. Its worth checking air filter at the same time- cleaning if required, wiper blades, windscreen washer bottle, etc etc etc.

I am a bit of an oil nut, so I will say- think about what you are doing. Make sure every surface that the oil comes in contact with (funnel, lip of the bottle etc etc) are spotlessly clean. Even clean down the bottle, making sure there is nothing that can drop into the funnel while pouring, and dont leave the bottle open for extended periods. Clean around the filler hole, and the sump plug hole ensuring nothing drops in. Every grain of sand that drops into your motor is potential for damage, but it is fairly easily avoided.

Oil- either choose one, and supply the same for the mechanic, or ask him to use the same, alternatively find out exactly which he uses and use the same when you change oil. There is (depending) up to half a litre that stays inside the engine which mixes with the fresh oil.

I have a habit of pouring through a couple of hundred ml straight through the motor (sump plug off) the first few seconds typically you see darker oil, tending to more the colour of the fresh. Some call this a waste, I like to see that last bit fall out before filling with fresh stuff.

Oil filter quality- dont know a whole lot, except to say most have a bypass filter nowadays, which is a great thing, as it means oil is more available to the bearings when cold starting. I know Toyota filters, while expensive, are generally of an extremely high quality. Please, dont go for the cheapest, nastiest available.

Consider a bypass filtration system. I will put a write up on the forum soon.

Dont forget- the often 'forgotten' oils- gearbox, power steering, diff, transfer case (all as applicable), as these wear too, and require periodic servicing....

Good luck, and have fun with it!

I am a bit of an oil nut

If you're not on it already, you might like BITOG: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

More about oil than you ever wanted to know!

Also re filters, Ryco are probably the best aftermarket filter that are readily available in Australia. They aren't the best filters period, but they are very good, and you can get them just about anywhere and for a decent price.

Yeah mate, that is a top site, as is NORIA.

Did a hell of a lot of research, and had some training, but to be honest found something i thought good enough to stick with, so havent done any serious reading for- crap probably 2 years now. Last time I was on BITOG everyone was raving about Amsoil....

Mecha'nic'-wombat lol, easy peasy... just do them up by hand first, or socket without the ratchet.. so u dont cross thread it. and dont over tighten it and strip it...make sure the gaps on the spark plug looks all the same, and none are damaged... n DONE!

Mecha'nic'-wombat lol, easy peasy... just do them up by hand first, or socket without the ratchet.. so u dont cross thread it. and dont over tighten it and strip it...make sure the gaps on the spark plug looks all the same, and none are damaged... n DONE!

Yeah, at least you aren't working on an Aurion:

dsc05602u.jpg

Yeah, at least you aren't working on an Aurion:

dsc05602u.jpg

yeah looks like my 6G75 in the 380 a real pain in the keister