dealer service- fuel Avg

forest24

Just had a service done through dealer, driving to the dealer (around 25K)fuel avg was 10.9, after service on the way back 13!!, same traffic condtions. does this settle down to the avg I was getting before, what could be the reason for such a jump? my guess is the Oil that was used, on the invoice it said 10w30 oil , from earlier discussions it was pointed out that they use semi synthetic ,

If I change the oil to better one now do I need to change the oil filter as well or can i still use the same one ,which should be new if the dealer has changed it.

Just thowing this out as a hypothetical question here....

When Toyota hook the car up for the service, is the transmission's/engine's ECU reset (or re-calibrated) by default ?

I'm wondering if the car then needs to re-learn how you drive again and until it does so, the mileage will read differently to what you are used to.

Blind Kid Seeks - are you able to ask one of the Toyota mechanics in the workshop why this might be happening (or is this not allowed) ?

Personally, I can't see the oil making such a difference.....but I have been wrong before :o

Also remember that there is a good chance that the car has been running in the workshop whilst not travelling any distance, which will screw up consumption figures...

Also remember that there is a good chance that the car has been running in the workshop whilst not travelling any distance, which will screw up consumption figures...

This is true and it should in theory settle down to normal with the next tank. I have experienced long term changes in fuel consumption after servicing. The first happened when I changed the engine oil to Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40, the average consumption jumped by 1-2L/100km, and I put it down to the oil. The second happened when I had the oil line replaced under the customer service initiative, the average fuel consumption dropped by 1L/100km.

This is true and it should in theory settle down to normal with the next tank. I have experienced long term changes in fuel consumption after servicing. The first happened when I changed the engine oil to Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40, the average consumption jumped by 1-2L/100km, and I put it down to the oil. The second happened when I had the oil line replaced under the customer service initiative, the average fuel consumption dropped by 1L/100km.

are you still using Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40, any ideas on why the avg jumped up, I would have thought better Oil equats to better avg. I was thinking of putting the same one in my kluger.

are you still using Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40, any ideas on why the avg jumped up, I would have thought better Oil equats to better avg. I was thinking of putting the same one in my kluger.

That is what I thought as well, since most of what I saw indicated synthetics give better fuel economy. However, the toyota stock oil is a 30 viscosity and the Mobil is a 40 which is higher viscosity. My understanding is higher viscosity = higher resistance = higher fuel consumption.

I personnally won't be putting the same oil back in as it was very expensive. Will probably try Valvoline as it is cheaper and is reported to be better with mileage (see http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...st&p=362937)

Edited by Kesawi

i dont know why the fuel consumption would change.

my theory is... the car sits idling, for maybe half an hour... while they let it come to temp to check a few things.. and during that time.. its using fuel, but not covering any distance... thus throwing out the average consumption.

i will ask the techs at the dealer next week for you though.

BKS.