Fog Light Globes

Not sure if this is covered or not (couldn't find it in search). Have any of you guys changed the bulbs on your fog lights? How easy is the process? This is on the ZRE! Thanks ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OI just because some of us drive with them on doesnt make us ****ers.

Blinding on-coming traffic just because you want attention pretty much makes you a ****** in my book.

There are legitimate uses for fog lights, but at night in clear weather is not one of them. Put them on during the day I have no problems with, it can increase your visibility to other drivers, and if it makes your wang feel bigger - sure, more power to you. Once it gets dark though, do us all a favour and just stick your regular headlights on.

Just came to my mind... Has someone tried to change low beam lights' and high beam lights' places? I don't know if it makes any sense or if it's even possible (as the globe types are different). You would also no longer have projector type low beam lights. Does that make any sense, is it worth trying?

Another idea is to install projectors into the high beams too...

Best regards, Alex

Once it gets dark though, do us all a favour and just stick your regular headlights on.

I think it depends on the attitude... I am not being blinded, maybe it's cos I don't think about it like that. If I'd look at the drivers and think that they are blinding me, the situation might be totally different. But as I am just driving and doing my thing, I don't feel like their foggies are bright at all... So it may be good to try to leave all the "ready" thoughts and look and try to see the situation as it really is, not as you think it is :)

Best regards, Alex

There ain't no fog in Sydney... Please tell me you're not one of those ****ers who drives around at night with headlights and fog lights on?...

***** your being a bit aggressive with your comments dont you think! I'm not "one of those ****ers" no! Just because I want to change the bulbs on my foglights does not mean I will be having them on all the time! ...

***** your being a bit aggressive with your comments dont you think! I'm not "one of those ****ers" no! Just because I want to change the bulbs on my foglights does not mean I will be having them on all the time! ...

Sorry mate, not out for a fight, just really sick of the number of inconsiderate drivers around Sydney. I see clowns driving around with them on at the worst times every single day, and when you see someone hop on and say "how can I make my foggies brighter?" - well, I ask you, what am I supposed to think? Honestly, without trying to be a prick about it, why on earth do you need brighter foglights in Sydney?

BTW, true fog lights are yellow. The white "fog" lights in most cars these days are actually referred to as "driving" lights. 55w isnt bright anyways...

kobbsno10, if your after upgraded H11 for your "fog" lights, Philips CrystalVision 4300k H11 are a good upgrade to match the ZR HID's. Cleaner colour, better vision, and no, not blinding.

............ why on earth do you need brighter foglights in Sydney?

Sand storm or a heavy **** pour like in Melbourne yesterday .... not brightly lit areas/roads ...... long distance driving .... and so on so forth

You do not need to remove the entire bumper to change the fog globes. Simply undo the screws holding the splash guards on either side. Then you can pull them back and get your hands in to swap the globes out.

Actually, I have a question for the people who hate people with foglights on, I simply cannot understand how it is "blinding". The lights - if aimed correctly, aren't blinding at all? They point to the ground not up in the air..?

.even if you have fogs pointed down.. not all roads are smooth... bumps cause any light to hit the on coming driver eyes...

i got a warning twice from cops, so i keep them off if the weathers fine. it's better than paying a $74-$84 fine.

Well on a rough road the lowbeams would be more of an issue than fogs.

The only place I use my fogs is on small residential roads with less lighting than main roads. I need to see dips and bumps on these smaller roads ;)

Use em anytime you like! :spiteful: I seriously dont know what some people are complaining about... ive never had an issue with oncoming driving or fog lights, from any car and i have super sensitive eyes at night... bumpy roads.. fines.... pffff, they aint true yellow foggies, so they are meant to be used as driving lights. Im sure those with HID foggies or anything over 6000k and you would get unwanted attention...

Fog lights are non-directional, they are designed to spread/scatter light evenly in pretty much a 180 degree arc in front of the car (not just downwards) - compared to low-beams which are designed to aim forwards and downward, and cast a pretty tight beam by comparison.

What this means in practice is that more peripheral light gets into the eyes of oncoming and upcoming traffic. If you looked directly into a low-beam light it probably would be brighter than the average fog light, but they don't often shine directly at you unless someone is coming over the crest of a hill. Fog lights on the other hand are constantly casting light directly at other drivers, which affects their night vision. During the day it's much less of an issue, as your eyes are already adapted to bright conditions (though you'll still cop a ticket for it).

The other dumb thing people do with foggies is use them instead of low-beams, which is a bad idea because when people are looking for other cars (merging, turning out of streets etc) they aren't looking for lights 20cm off the ground, they are looking for objects at about eye level.

I understand some of you aren't phased about how people use their lights, and I doubt I'm going to change your mind about that, but do realise that there are people who give a **** about it - and it's enough of a worry that the police and RTA give a **** about it too, so I'd say there is a message in that somewhere. Please, I'm asking you as a favour, just switch them off at night - it won't make any difference to you, it might make a difference to someone else, and at the very least it's one less thing you can get pulled up for.

Danja. Maybe you should take your gripes here. Im sure you'll have fun there.

I cant see how ZRE foggies can be considered non-directional. They are in a confined, forward facing polished housing, not open faced big dishes like other foggies (ie large WRX style).

From Wiki:

Front fog lamps

Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[10][11][12] They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.

Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[13]

The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[14]

Edited by dutchie101

Geez. Not another fog light b*** fight.

At the end of the day, driving around with fog lights in non-foggy/rainy conditions is illegal, otherwise there wouldn't be fines for it. Regardless of what you personally think... it's still illegal. End of story. No point arguing it.

For that matter... because it is illegal, anyone arguing saying that they are a nuisance has more persuasion than those arguing against that.

Personally, I find them annoying. Not enough to complain about it, but it just gives off more glare than those without. When I say glare, I'm not referring to in your eyes type of glare. It's the fact you have 2 sets of lights approaching rather than one set. Even with proper aiming, it can still appear bright. Also, fog lights aren't exactly an aimed type of light. They are designed to spread light over a larger distance.