Aurion Fog light + strong smell when first accelerate

jk23

Sent my car for the first 12 months service.

I broke one of the RHS fog light when travelling on high way the other day, and the light glass is gone, but the bulb still works . I asked Toyota the cost to replace one, and the quotation I got back is , A$400 for a light.

Does that sound too much for you guys?

2) Whenever I accelerate my Aurion SX6 the first time after ignite the car, there always be a strong smell comes after that (it's not the break/belt burns smell) . I pretty sure it's not the aircon, because I can smell that 'things' with my aircon is OFF and the air 'circulated' is selected. I mentioned this issue to the service guy when 1000km initial service, I have been told it's my new carpet smell (fxxk off... i knew what a new carpet smell like, and that's just not that smell). And this time, I have been told different story, where the aircon filter underneath is full of bacteria, and it's gonna cost me A$98 to do something with it, and (can't be assure that will work)...

Has anyone of having this experience?

I have heard a method in order to kill the bacteria yourself, can't for the life of me remember what it is thought.

Anyone knowledgeable on this? I need it done myself actually.

I have heard a method in order to kill the bacteria yourself, can't for the life of me remember what it is thought.

The thing is , why this ONLY happen to TOYOTA?... I never had a problem with other brand of cars, such as Suzuki. I remember I had the same issue with ECHO, but the issue went away after years driving it. If it's the bacteria, it doesn't make sense, as the bacteria should be accumulated itself.

I remember DJKor mentioned something about the aircon, but I can't remember where I read it from...

For your fog lights, that is WAY EXPENSIVE. Just pick up a set on eBay for like $150. You will get new fog lamp assemblies and two new bulbs.

The air conditioning smell is a little bit of a funny one. Traditionally, it is caused by bacteria on the A/C evaporator which produced an odd smell when moist (moisture in the air condensing on the evaporator). As well, you can get some odd air conditioning smells due to the pollen filter.

It should be noted though that these two probable causes seem to tie in together with the Aurion. For example, changing your A/C filter can make the smell seem like it has gone away, but I have personally found that it somehow masks it to an extent. I am yet to figure out how such a thing occurs. For example, my A/C filter is currently really dirty (looks black in colour) and my A/C has absolutely no smells whatsoever, humid day or not.

Anyways, there are three options to kill this bacteria:

1) Drive around with your air setting set to 'fresh air' as much as possible. Over time, the bacteria should be killed off. By 'over time' I mean weeks or even months. But if you leave it open all the time, this should create no issues once it is gone.

2) Glen 20. Not the most ideal approach (personal opinion because I don't like the stuff), but you turn your A/C to full and spray this stuff upwards into the passenger side footwell underneath the glove box. Removing the plastic there when doing this would be advised. Or

3) Get your hands on a commercial ozone generator (very commonplace in hotels so it helps to know people). Run this in the car for an hour, with about 10 minutes of this time spent with the car started and A/C running at full. Make sure you ventilate the car for 30 mins afterwards.

If the smell still remains after that, give it another hour of treatment. You can keep repeating this if necessary. One good advantage of this method is that it kills pretty much EVERY odour in the car.

Edit: Thanks for the link mikka. Saved me from doing a search.

For your fog lights, that is WAY EXPENSIVE. Just pick up a set on eBay for like $150. You will get new fog lamp assemblies and two new bulbs.

$400 was same price I had to pay when my Levin ZR's foglight was smashed too. Apparently they're the same/similar fittings.

$400 was same price I had to pay when my Levin ZR's foglight was smashed too. Apparently they're the same/similar fittings.

the price just unacceptable.