17 Inch Vortex Wheels for 2005 Model Camry

Ronnyboy

I Went down to the Toyota dealer Today (Stewart Toyota in Sutherland) and picked up 4 Vortex 17X7 Alloy wheels for my 2005 36 Series Camry.

The Vehicle currently has 205/65/15R (15X6 alloys im guessing) tyres on them.

Two questions, does anyone know what tyre size will i require for these new 17 inch wheels? e.g. 225/45/17R

Secondly what brand name tyres should i go for? i had the following wheels in mind

Bridgestone ER300

Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001

Yokohama S Drive

Dunlop SP SPORT 3000A (downside is that this Dunlop tyres are no longer made in Australia)

Please feel free to recommend other brands..

the tyres u mentioned are great,

however,

if you dont wanna pay a bomb for them...primarily because you are driving a camry, and if you're not going to use your camry for track racing, (if u do i'd pay to see that! :lol: )

i'd highly recommend Toyo Tyres

They are all made in Japan & truely, very much so, exceed your money's worth.

Ive got a set of Toyo Teo Plus 215/55/16 on mine atm that have lasted me beyond 40,000km on spirited driving, and with the fact that i got them for $155 each. no tyre i found at that price and at that size will do 40,000km at spirit driving. hell no. ive tried all the other brands like yoko's c drive, goodyears, bridgestones and so forth. if you find a brand which does last 40k on spirited driving, they will cost u a bomb no questions asked.

the tyre design works, so much so that michelin came out with a similar tread design, copy cats <_<

If you're after ultra comfortable, awesome wet performing, fuel saving tyres, get the Teo Plus in your size. You wont regret them. Very very quiet as well - kill the yoko db decibel range anyday.

If you're after a sports everyday driving, get the Proxies 4.

Threadwear for both tyres is standard 300, u'd be surprised how soft they still remain after years of use.

I thought i had posted a reply to this thread...and it's like where did it go...

and yeah the topic got re-posted in the correct section...."Camry Forum"...

anyway i'll just copy past what i wrote in it....

"yes it is 225/45R17...

the RE001's in that size are made in Australia.

and they are right now priced @ $249 @ JaxQuickFit"

And i did have those same wheels for the V6 Camry(Gen 5.5)....but i ran 235/45R17 on Bridgestones RE030 and they lasted like 55000kms...

yes it is 225/45R17...

the RE001's in that size are made in Australia.

and they are right now priced @ $249 @ JaxQuickFit"

And i did have those same wheels for the V6 Camry(Gen 5.5)....but i ran 235/45R17 on Bridgestones RE030 and they lasted like 55000kms...

If i use 235/45/ instead of 225/45 will there be any issues with the driving or the speedo showing incorrect speed.

I have come down to the following Three tyres,

Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001 $230 at Jaxquickfit

Toyo Proxes 4 (Price Unknown)

Dunlop SP SPORT 3000A $225 at Jaxquickfit

Take your Pick :)

I will add to this thread what I have done to other threads with the same question. If you want to find the effects it will have on your speedo etc, use an online calculator like the following. This allows you to compare multiple tire/wheel sizes to help choose the right one:

1010 Tires: Tire Size Calculator

Plugging in your figures, you will find this:

tire.jpg

Now this is where I will mention that despite the 235/45R17 tire seeming to be the better choice due to the minimal change in overall diameter, you have to remember that a 235 wide tire is in fact best suited to a 17 inch wheel that is around 8 inches in width. This choice in tire would not be good for a 7 inch wide wheel which is a pretty common 17 inch wheel width (and the same with the Vortex wheels as you have posted).

... and if you're not going to use your camry for track racing, (if u do i'd pay to see that! :lol: )

What... you didn't think it was possible (thanks SuperDave for the pic):

IMGP0927.jpg

i LOL sooooo loud...everyone kinda looked this way :huh:

open office spaces not good 4 camry track forum surfing...

though on further evaluation, that cam doesnt have rice mods or has attempted to be a car its not. i guess it doesnt hurt to drive your car leisurely around a track :)

if i saw a fully pimped up camry with racing conversion done like 6-7years ago, of a gen4 v6 camry which raced in events that aired on sbs sidetracked program.....then it'd worse?

i dont what event it was, some like a gt cup but with 4 classes of cars racing at the one time on the one track.

Everything Daryl said is correct...(the Vortex are 17 by 7)

and min width of the wheel for 235/45R17 is 7.5...

but that's what Toyota gave me when i got the car...so didn't complain...and just went with it...

and all was well...

RE001's are a good set but don't last very long (on an Aurion anyway, should last a lot longer on the Gen5 Camry)

Looks like i will be getting Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001 Tyres.

I might give my Local Bridgestone Tyre Centre a call and see if they can Match the Price with Jaxquickfit

I Called Bridgestone last week for a price, they quoted me $256 Per Tyre. were as Jaxquickfit quoted me $230 each if i get set of 4.

I opened one of the Alloy wheel Boxes today and was looking at the Instuctions, one of the sentence said to "Install With a Fitting Kit (Refer to Dealer) If applicable.

Does anyone know anything about that? What is a fitting Kit. The box had wheelnuts, Centrecaps and Air Valvecaps....

What is a fitting Kit. The box had wheelnuts, Centrecaps and Air Valvecaps....

David (SupaTouring) has provided this answer before for a thread on the Aurion boards. Same deal really:

anyone know what the "fit kit" is for? i was under the assumption that the new wheels would just bolt directly onto the car??

The "kit" has items for removing the wheel nuts if the nut hex is a different size to standard as was the case with my gen4 Camry with the GTP 17x7 wheels. The nuts for those were 19mm instead of 21mm so a wheel brace was included along with a piece of felt to protect the wheel when in the boot and I think it also came with another bolt to hold the spare wheel down in the boot.

So really the kit is to give you any extra items to remove or store the accessory wheels from/in the car.

Toyota accessory wheels that I have bought have always come with wheel nuts, centre caps and valves

What is a fitting Kit. The box had wheelnuts, Centrecaps and Air Valvecaps....

David (SupaTouring) has provided this answer before for a thread on the Aurion boards. Same deal really:

anyone know what the "fit kit" is for? i was under the assumption that the new wheels would just bolt directly onto the car??

The "kit" has items for removing the wheel nuts if the nut hex is a different size to standard as was the case with my gen4 Camry with the GTP 17x7 wheels. The nuts for those were 19mm instead of 21mm so a wheel brace was included along with a piece of felt to protect the wheel when in the boot and I think it also came with another bolt to hold the spare wheel down in the boot.

So really the kit is to give you any extra items to remove or store the accessory wheels from/in the car.

Toyota accessory wheels that I have bought have always come with wheel nuts, centre caps and valves

So in other words This is an option item to have and is not a requirement? Or should i just go and get it just to be on the safe side :)

So in other words This is an option item to have and is not a requirement? Or should i just go and get it just to be on the safe side :)

You said it yourself:

... one of the sentence said to "Install With a Fitting Kit (Refer to Dealer)
If applicable

If the new wheel nuts are too big/small for your current wheel brace in the boot, then this would be a situation where the fit kit would be needed.

I came across the following Website by the name of Carbon Black, it allows you to review/Compare Tyres and Centres in Australia.

Feel free to have a look,

Carbon Black URL

As mentioned in the forum here, Re0001's are good Tyres but they seem to wear out quick, others have left the same review on Carbon Black....

I came across the following Website by the name of Carbon Black, it allows you to review/Compare Tyres and Centres in Australia.

Feel free to have a look,

Carbon Black URL

As mentioned in the forum here, Re0001's are good Tyres but they seem to wear out quick, others have left the same review on Carbon Black....

thats a well known website, but its only good for tyres that are popular and widely used, and sometimes reviews can also be based on too many variables

not the best website for you to buy as hardly any official sellers quote u back on the price, or tender a price at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input everyone, i have decided to go with The Bridgestone RE001. I Went to Bridgestone today and have placed an order for these tyres for $220 a pop (225/45/17) and should get them by Tuesday. I wanted to get the ER300 since they are more quiet and use the RFT technology but they are out of stock :(

I finally got my Tyres put on Today, i ended up getting the Adrenalin RE001 225/45/17. I think size 235/45 would have fit aswell.....

The Speedo is only 1 KM higher which isnt really a worry....

The next thing i have to do is get Locknuts for the wheels.. anyone got any ideas how much they will cost or what is the best ones to get?Not sure if toyota has Genuine Locknuts..

In the meantime here are a few pics that i took of the wheels.... i will take more clear ones during the day

post-17377-1268056922_thumb.jpg

post-17377-1268056940_thumb.jpg

post-17377-1268056955_thumb.jpg

post-17377-1268056971_thumb.jpg

post-17377-1268056988_thumb.jpg

post-17377-1268057008_thumb.jpg

They look great, i was about to get a set from ebay, they sold for about $160ish but were the first ones, 5x100

Great looking wheel, nice buy ;)

Seeing as you went to Stewart, you must be a local, i'll keep an eye out for you :D

They look great, i was about to get a set from ebay, they sold for about $160ish but were the first ones, 5x100

Thanks...

The Kappa 17's would look pretty good on the ZR Corolla, i know they are not cheap though.

Seeing as you went to Stewart, you must be a local, i'll keep an eye out for you :D

Yeah sure why not :)