work to buy me car

jaderd

Hi Guys just wanted to start a discussion around this.

have discussed with boss and fairly sure going down track of getting a work car.

Obviously wont be an expensive car i dont think (max 25k prob) is talking to accounts to suss it all out...who knows expensive car may work better for tax etc ? anyone know.

business will own car ill drive it for work 5 days a week and keep it all the time though etc

Obviously want something that looks ok, goes well etc..will be manual and id say definitely 4 cylinder.

Need to sell it to boss also though so also thinking along lines of maintenance costs, warranty lengths and also fuel economy, standard features (bluetooth mainly....even GPS) etc.

A few i have thought of are included below.....now some have cons re service costs and standard equip but here they are....no particular order

- Toyota is strong in my mind mainly for it being a toyota, cheap service schedule, Andy sells new cars for toyota so could always chat with him/ purchase through etc. Im going manual with whatever car just so it feels a little sporty ;)

VW golf 90TSI

1.4L turbo/supercharger = Turbocharged Stratified injection (petrol)

6.4l / 100km

2010 Ford Fiesta ECOnetic WS

1.6l turbo Diesel

3.7l / 100km

2010 Toyota Corolla Levin SX ZRE152R

1.8L petrol

7.3L / 100km

2010 Volkswagen Golf 77TDI Trendline VI MY10

1.6l turbo Diesel

4.9L / 100km

2010 Toyota Yaris YRX NCP91R

1.5L petrol

6.1L /100km

Please add your thoughts on any car you feel fits my need and reasons why.

Edited by jaderd

yeah i dont like the mazda 3's a great deal...have sat in a spanking new max sport a mate has and dont like it too much

The TSI was my first choice but then started thinking service costs etc....but dont think boss would mind as she has an 118i beamer hatch and fair sure that would eat the dollars at service

Edited by jaderd

If its a work car... i wouldnt worry with the YRX... the YRS + Safety Pack would be my sweet spot.

clean looking little car, 1.5,

VSC, TRC, 7 Airbags,

PA Steering,

Very spacious (deceptive)

Digital dash,

Bluetooth + MP3 + USB

Leather steer and gear,

4 power windows.

very econmical, very cheap running costs... (Toyota Service Advantage $130 per service for 3 years/60K)

RELIABLE!

RESALE!

OMG buy the Yaris!

i wont bag the other cars....

but please check out the following... Service charges, and CO2 Emissions. Deisel cars are great for fuel economy, but are the dirtiest polluters. Not a single one made the Green Car top 50.

I'm not a fan of any of the cars on your list, but if I had to pick one on that list I'd probably pick the VW golf 90TSI.

What about the Honda Jazz/City? Or if you can convince your boss for a little bit more there is the Fiat 500 Sport :D

If its a work car... i wouldnt worry with the YRX... the YRS + Safety Pack would be my sweet spot.

clean looking little car, 1.5,

VSC, TRC, 7 Airbags,

PA Steering,

Very spacious (deceptive)

Digital dash,

Bluetooth + MP3 + USB

Leather steer and gear,

4 power windows.

very econmical, very cheap running costs... (Toyota Service Advantage $130 per service for 3 years/60K)

RELIABLE!

RESALE!

OMG buy the Yaris!

i wont bag the other cars....

but please check out the following... Service charges, and CO2 Emissions. Deisel cars are great for fuel economy, but are the dirtiest polluters. Not a single one made the Green Car top 50.

Ill agree here, yaris's are epic little cars... and they are lot bigger on the inside they they appear on the outside!

and for what they are, they are fast!

I just have a big soft spot for golfs

I'm not a fan of any of the cars on your list, but if I had to pick one on that list I'd probably pick the VW golf 90TSI.

What about the Honda Jazz/City? Or if you can convince your boss for a little bit more there is the Fiat 500 Sport :D

Honda Jazz FTL, they are slow as a wet week and ugly :P

thats just my opinion though.

Fiat 500 sport ftw tho.

one of the main things im happy about is it means less time /km on the road with my twinky....and means i can pull it apart and do things slow as i have another car :)

Edited by jaderd

Andy is a good man,

currently sussing out a nice little 3 door YRS with safety pack ex demo (500km) that they have at moment :).

boss has said not a problem around that price range but i personally would like to go the yaris to show im not drying to drain her of every last dollar plus i know for service, safety and warranty / reliability toyota will be great

plus its a an extra car for the TOCAU community lol

:)

thanks for comments and ideas guys

What about a hilux? in all seriousness, if it's 1 tonne capacity, there are significant tax advantages to having this as a company car

Company cars are as good as the lease scheme you have them on, so if you can pull a better rate from a particular dealership, then run with that. What about the balloon and what you think the car is going to be worth at the end of the lease period?

Get rid off all those crap cars on the list, and get someone you really want. I don't think FBT will matter to you J as you don't have kids or payments for kids, and hell, who would want a yaris anyway.

I've been out of the tax side of accounting for a while, but this is what i coud remember.

whitestivo

Andy is a good man,

currently sussing out a nice little 3 door YRS with safety pack ex demo (500km) that they have at moment :).

boss has said not a problem around that price range but i personally would like to go the yaris to show im not drying to drain her of every last dollar plus i know for service, safety and warranty / reliability toyota will be great

plus its a an extra car for the TOCAU community lol

:)

thanks for comments and ideas guys

so when is it mod time? hehe

if you werent able to go for the Toyota side of things id definatly have a look into a Hyundai I30 aswell. that or be a man and convince the boss a red twinky is on the cards or no deal!

hahaha

nah real rapped the boss has come to the party on this deal its been on my mind for a while re. wrecking my twinky doing mass km's etc....and would rather not...pretty sure going to be the yaris YRS + safety ....nice little 80kw monster

whitestivo....the tax aspect etc isnt going to affect me at all as work is taking care of everything and paying for everything....basically it ends up being just as if i drive it etc....finer detail to be sorted but yeah its not me personally taking out the lease through work etc

Some nice choices there mate.

Personally I would probably go for either the Rolla or the Golf.

However, have you considered the Lancer at all? I believe you can score a Lancer VR in manual for around 25k fairly easily.

Also since your looking at the Yaris, the Mazda 2 or Suzuki Swift is also worth looking at.

so your employer is going to outright purchase the car?

If it's on a novated lease through the company then the FBT amount is decided on the number of KM's you drive per year.

I last had a "company" car in 1998, the sweet spot for that with regard to FBT was 40,000km a year which left a bunch more money in the account for tyres/fuel/servicing/insurance/rego etc. Myself and all my other workmates who spent the days driving around to customer sites all got series 2 N15 SSS Pulsar's, as they were through a novated lease for the company we ended up getting ~$6K off the on-road price.

I now just take a car allowance and do what I like with my "work" car.

Edited by CHA54

I now just take a car allowance and do what I like with my "work" car.

This. Novated leases are rubbish now days with all the rework they have had by the governemnt to close tax loopholes and the like over the years. Pretty much have to be in the top tax bracket while doing 40,000+ km to see any benefit.

All those other details aside... I would go for one of the Golf's. I think a 1.6 diesel would be a bit limp, I know the previous 2.0L golf was good but the 1.9L was crap... Cant beat German quality!

Otherwise, maybe the Yaris followed by the Fiesta, cutesy small car fun.

well i have options

boss has said can go with the allowance aspect and then yeah basically do what i want with the cash

i guess i could then buy a cheaper car and pocket the cash and claim the car 100% for business as the twinky is then my personal car etc.

problem is i would then own two cars and one would always be on the street parking and i would hate that lol.

other way is through boss on a chattel lease where she pays for everything....would also be 90+ percent for work as i would use it on weekends a bit bu yeah most km for work driving so lowers FBT for her

what option is better, of course me buying a cheapie and paying for everything myself i may pocket 5-6k a year but yeah the idea of a brand spanking car is nice and i dont have to deal with any maintenance, rego, insurance etc throughout year...which is annoying etc

what would you guys do