Mixing Oils

Kesawi

I have 4L of Mobil SuperSyn 0W040 oil left over and intend to switch to a different synthetic 0W40 next service. Would there be any issues with using 1L of the left over Mobil oil with 5L of the other oil to make the 6L required for the Kluger?

I have 4L of Mobil SuperSyn 0W040 oil left over and intend to switch to a different synthetic 0W40 next service. Would there be any issues with using 1L of the left over Mobil oil with 5L of the other oil to make the 6L required for the Kluger?

None. You can mix them.

Honestly? I really wouldnt. For the sake of 1 litre of oil, i really wouldnt. What is the other oil? and why change from the Mobil you are using?

Reason I say is we dont know if the bases are the same, or if the additive packs will mix suitably. Just buy a 1 litre of the oil you intend to use, or 5 litres and have 4 waiting for next time. It is safer to do so.

Honestly? I really wouldnt. For the sake of 1 litre of oil, i really wouldnt. What is the other oil? and why change from the Mobil you are using?

Reason I say is we dont know if the bases are the same, or if the additive packs will mix suitably. Just buy a 1 litre of the oil you intend to use, or 5 litres and have 4 waiting for next time. It is safer to do so.

I haven't really been happy with the performance of the Mobil. Fuel consumption increased when I switched to it, and it's also twice the price of Valvoline SynPower 0W-40 which I'm looking to switch to. I have 3.8L sitting around which I would rather use than throw away (i'm happy to sell it cheap or if need be give it away if anyone needs some). The information on the Valvoline site does say it is compatible with other Synthetic Motor Oils (http://www.valvoline.com.au/files/productpdfs/7.pdf).

oh, really your going from Mobil to Valvoline to save fuel? Generally Mobil is a far higher quality than valvoline. What were you using before, and what was your change in consumption? Look you probably can mix them, but its definantly not recommended.

Look I only know one oil I can say will reduce fuel consumption, but in a petrol passenger vehicle, even that struggles to achieve better than 10% or so (compared to 'average' oils). By all means try the valvoline, but i really dont think you will achieve much. Again even the best that I know of doesnt have that great an effect.....

oh, really your going from Mobil to Valvoline to save fuel? Generally Mobil is a far higher quality than valvoline. What were you using before, and what was your change in consumption? Look you probably can mix them, but its definantly not recommended.

Look I only know one oil I can say will reduce fuel consumption, but in a petrol passenger vehicle, even that struggles to achieve better than 10% or so (compared to 'average' oils). By all means try the valvoline, but i really dont think you will achieve much. Again even the best that I know of doesnt have that great an effect.....

I went from the stock standard semi-synthetic toyota provide as part of the servie advantage program to the Mobil 1 SuperSyn. I as averaging 11-12L/100km before the switch and am now 13-14. Drving style hasn't changed, if anything I've been less agressive with the accelerator. Still running same weight in the car and tyre pressures have been maintained the same. Don't see the point in paying almost double for Mobil.