TRD Squirrels for ZRE?

TRD15G163I0002.jpg

Just found this while searching around the jap sites...

"Oh TRD more - for squirrels ォ Ê ° Ì - Ï Ê Ý ÞÝ ½ À ° - ¾ ¯ Ä sale

TRDよりオ-リス(NZE151H・ZRE152H)用,パフォ-マンスダンパ-セットが発売! Oh from TRD - squirrel (NZE151H · ZRE152H) for ォ Ê ° Ì - Ï Ê Ý ÞÝ ½ À ° - ¾ ¯ Ä sale! ! !

「ザラザラ」「ブルブル」といった不快な振動・騒音が解消され,乗車中の快適性が向上します。 "Gritty" "shudder" is eliminating unpleasant noise and vibration, improving comfort during the journey.

( 更新日: 2009.07.07 ) (Updated: 2009.07.07) "

the pic shows "performance dampener" on the sticker... are these struts or steering dampeners? They look way to skinny for struts.. :huh:

Ah, i seee. squirrels huh? :huh:

So, does this part replace an OEM bar thats in the same place? or does it tie in the front end? I cant remember if i saw anything in its place when the rolla was on the hoist last...

Cheers John.

Dave see here:

http://model.auto-style.jp/index_car.php?p...imit_car[]=15G1

Translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...sl=ja&tl=en

Ah, if i clicked one step further i would have seen what it was... sorry fellas!

front

TRD15G163I0001_1.jpg

and rear

TRD15G163I0001_2.jpg

Hmmm... wonder how much they help reduce twist... interesting... Not cheap tho, probably around 1k AU$ when landed. Hopefully that for the pair!!

Not a solid bar, a dampener.

So, i assume from this, there is considerable flex in the rails thats transferred to the body. These must reduce the "noise" or vibrations buy reducing and slowing the noise transfer from each rail....

Dave, does that sound right?

Thats what i kinda thought, im sure they are used for a reason.

We obviously dont know how much force it will take initiate the dampening. Perhaps its TRD way of making a stiffer chassis without using a solid bar. Im thinking it will act as a solid bar untill forces exceed what they think will cause issues with the mounting brackets or the rails them selves, then the dampening will initiate? Depends what the compression initiation is set at i suppose..

Although, as the sales spiel says, its for - "Gritty" "shudder" is eliminating unpleasant noise and vibration, improving comfort during the journey. It doesnt mention structural rigidity.

Hmmmm....

Dave, does that sound right?

Sounds like BS. If you look at the picture of the front one there is a cross member there anyway.

Chassis' need to be stiff, not dampened ;)

Couldn't agree more. Fluffy toys and heads on springs on the dash would be cheaper and prolly do the same amount of good...... ;)

Thanks for the scientific input <_<

These are only released for the face lift ZRE, will not fit models before Oct 09. Also spoke to James at Castle hill. He has no other info on these either. Landed here around AU$1500!

Yeah, would want to something pretty special for that price. James also thinks they wont fit the export model, but im not sure if the export model is any different to the local Jap release...

These are only released for the face lift ZRE, will not fit models before Oct 09. Also spoke to James at Castle hill. He has no other info on these either. Landed here around AU$1500!

Yeah, would want to something pretty special for that price. James also thinks they wont fit the export model, but im not sure if the export model is any different to the local Jap release...

The pic i put up is a pre-facelift...

Didnt the ZZE T-Sport have a similar item in the engine bay,pretty much where the strut brace would go but one end joined the motor?

What is a squirrel? :huh:

Sorry John, your right. I just happened to look at the one for the face lift. There is also a set for pre-face lift. Same part number. James was the one who told me they may not fit and were for facelift. :huh:

Didnt the ZZE T-Sport have a similar item in the engine bay,pretty much where the strut brace would go but one end joined the motor?

Something like this?

307355.jpg

"These braces dampen the engine’s torque, recovering wasted motion into forward momentum." - Stillen

What is a squirrel? huh.gif

Dunno! Thats what the translator thew back at me :lol:

Something like this?

307355.jpg

Thats the engine dampener. I have seen some ZZE's in Japan with a OEM looking strut brace that looks like the dampener (squirrels :P) you have shown; this is what juvenile is mentioning.

The pic i put up is a pre-facelift...

What is a squirrel? :huh:

The comment I had from Japan (via James at Castle Hill) was that the attachment points were not there on the pre-facelift export ZRE whereas they were present on the JDM version. Also these were greyed out on the English page before the relase of the facelift (and still are I think). There was an English version of the info sheet I will see if I kept a copy on my work computer and if so post it.

I do like the name squirrel though much more intriguing than damper

Something like this?

307355.jpg

Thats the engine dampener. I have seen some ZZE's in Japan with a OEM looking strut brace that looks like the dampener (squirrels :P) you have shown; this is what juvenile is mentioning.

Yeah looked similar but went from the motor to strut tower,saw it in Greek car mag featuring T-Sport road test..

Havent seen one like it on a JDM though...

TRD version perhaps,

TRDsq.jpg

Looks difficult to mount :o