2500 rpm vibration in AE102R

Hey guys

New to the forum and new to toyotas! drove a lancer for the past 5 years before the cv joint and arm snapped/popped out while driving... but thats history

I recently got a 98 ae102r and during drive in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear theres a bit of vibration while at 2500pm (only when driven). This is extremely noticeable if its held at that rev range regardless of speed.

Ive had a mate and a mechanic check it and both believe its an exhaust issue. The mechanic was telling me it was a cheap exhaust, where its lost its guts? I may've heard wrong and he could tell it was possibly aftermarket (i do believe it was probably changed after a rear hit which it was in a rear hit).

Question is, if it is an exhaust issue, being a crappy one.. how much would it cost for a replacement that would fix the issue, what's the cheapest i can go?. What are the chances of it not being that? I guess its probably too hard to say for now? Has anyone else had such issue?

Side question - do late 90s camrys/toyotas tend to have lower paint quality as i see a handful of camrys especially with just faded paint jobs. I do believe my car has lost all its gloss as it has been stained by tree sap and still stained after trying to clean it a few times with standard and heavy duty wash. I've read that mineral spirits can remove stains, has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Thanks all

Noob rolla driver :rolleyes:

hey hey & welcome

I have an AE102, 1995 model. As far as the paint goes, that is easy- yeah, I believe (just based on what I have seen) the toyotas of this era (then again commodores and falcons arent immune by all means) do show their age when not very well looked after. This can be restored. Things like faded paint, and tree sap need to be agressively treated- using things like paint cutters (like cut and polish). Applying by hand has mixed results. I know myself if I hand cut a car, it not only takes a full day non stop work from dawn till dusk and then some to do it properly, even then its not as good as a machine applied job. I am aware that meguires and others do produce these palm polisher things, which people with them do recommend (I think worth around $250?). Please, dont go looking at the cheap orbital polishers available at supercheap- they really arent worth the money. I got myself a decent rotary buff and pads for around $200, but you do need to be very careful with these.

You can also visit a detailer, who can cut and wax your paint work for (last time I looked) around $100. After that, its just a case of maintaining the finish, which is a lot easier than restoring.

As far as the vibrations go- sorry, I really cant help you there. Exhaust issue? I really wouldnt think so. You've got me stumped on that one....

Is the 2500rpm issue just a noise (like a rattle or vibration) or can you feel it through steering or pedals etc?

If it's just a noise, then exhaust is a good sign, check the heat-shields along the length of the exhaust as well as the ones around the catalytic converter, I had a horrible rattle in mine which turned out to the be the heat-shield above the cat being only held on by one spot-weld.

And for the paint, get some cutting compound (Kitten worked well for me) and cut the paint back till it is even and dull (don't go too far or you'll wear through the paint), then wipe it clean and hit it with some polish, it did wonders for my 102 (which was white). Takes a day or so to do the whole car by hand (it'll build up your arms too), and depending on how much maybe 1 or 2 tins of cutting compound (they're like $10 each) and one of polish, but the results are definitely worth it.

When you say vibration I don't think of the exhaust at all.

I guess it depends how strong the vibration is, and if it's more of a rattle than a vibration?

It's always hard to tell over the internet, but like someone else said if you can feel it through the steering wheel or pedals its unlikley it's going to be exhaust related.

If it's a rattle, at low revs you're exhaust might have that deep note to it that's causing a rattle somewhere?

i personally can feel the vibration (not rattle) more towards the engine tho im not sure if it is.. the vibration is steady if i hold it at that rev range, doesn't go stronger or weaker.

wouldnt say its from the wheel or pedals.. its like a medium tone vibration if that makes anymore sense

thanks for the feedback so far tho!

If it's a physical vibration then it's quite possible engine/gearbox-mount related, pop the bonnet and get someone to rev the engine to that rpm whilst you take a look and see if you can see the engine kicking around a bit. Then again, it might only appear under load to free-revving won't disclose it.

If it's a physical vibration then it's quite possible engine/gearbox-mount related, pop the bonnet and get someone to rev the engine to that rpm whilst you take a look and see if you can see the engine kicking around a bit. Then again, it might only appear under load to free-revving won't disclose it.

yeah only can feel it when driven...

Is the noise any stronger when turning to the left? If so I've got the same issue but I can't feel any vibration, just hear the rattle. I'm keen to find out what it is too

I would check the engine mounts first, btw is it auto or manual?

Giving it quick sharp revs from a stand still while your in the engine bay can usually depict worn engine mounts (just turn the throttle lever), and as such can only feel it when driving as it isnt that bad when stationary and so at that particular revs it is worst due to the way engines work and the engine also doing that certain speed.

Karl.

that sounds like the same issue my partners car had. once you begin accelerating up to the 2500-3500 range it vibrates like crazy through the steering wheel, if you apply heavy acceleration it goes away a bit, and once you get to speeds in excess of 150kph it dies down. also there was a strong knocking sound when the car was doing a hard right hand turn. if your car is doing this kind of thing it will be the cv joints. i just replaced the ones in her car and the problems all gone, you can tighten them up, and mabye get another 20000kms out of them, but its better to get new ones for it now, before you vibrate something else off the car and cause more damage!

the knocking sound mentioned before can be to the left or the right, depending on which joint is more worn.

Edited by bonzai_cyberninja

I would check the engine mounts first, btw is it auto or manual?

Giving it quick sharp revs from a stand still while your in the engine bay can usually depict worn engine mounts (just turn the throttle lever), and as such can only feel it when driving as it isnt that bad when stationary and so at that particular revs it is worst due to the way engines work and the engine also doing that certain speed.

Karl.

its AT

nothing can be felt at stand still

and the sound on bends isnt a knocking sound, i remember having this a bit on my old lancer... its more of a repeated chirping sound.. funny enough it sounds also a bit of the sound when water is simmering in a pot... thats what comes to mind.

2 people believe it could be something with the brakes, even though i dont need the brakes applied to heer this sound during steering..

• 3 weeks later...

Is the noise any stronger when turning to the left? If so I've got the same issue but I can't feel any vibration, just hear the rattle. I'm keen to find out what it is too

Hmm ive got a similar vibration turning left in the AE112R sportivo , i figured the chirping sound was from the brake pad giving its 'wear sound' as when i jump on the brakes it disappears and secondly is starting to create a pull on the steering when you hit bumps or lumps in the road. (no doubt requires a balance and an alignment).

next to figure out this caliper assembly got the caliper nut off , just not the caliper and its not budging. I suspect theres more bolts to take off that are hooked up to those ridiculously tight brake lines??