LED Daytime Running Lights legal in Australia?

hi all, i plan on installing a strip of LED DRLS on my '08 Prius (corny i know, but i love them)

but are the legal? i want them basically to turn on when the car powers up, and turn off when the car is off. Is it legal to have them on AND the headlights at the same time? They will be mounted underneath the stock foglights in the lower grill.

thanks

Edited by dolce_vita

ok here is the double standards about to come out regarding vehicle modifications and road rules ..... basically anywhere u put them is practically illegal if the police believe it is infringing / distracting to other drivers even if u dont think it is or even if u think it just adds to the look of the car when the lights are on ..... now the crappy thing is that it doesnt matter that every one of those new audi's has led headlights and ive spotted some of the new commodores have led foggies ..... the fact that urs didnt come like that out of the factor deems them to be illegal ..... i know double standards but wat u do .... them is the rules .... ive heard of a few ppl get fines for those single led's that u place on ur windscreen squirters so yeah like i said try at ur own risk

ok here is the double standards about to come out regarding vehicle modifications and road rules ..... basically anywhere u put them is practically illegal if the police believe it is infringing / distracting to other drivers even if u dont think it is or even if u think it just adds to the look of the car when the lights are on ..... now the crappy thing is that it doesnt matter that every one of those new audi's has led headlights and ive spotted some of the new commodores have led foggies ..... the fact that urs didnt come like that out of the factor deems them to be illegal ..... i know double standards but wat u do .... them is the rules .... ive heard of a few ppl get fines for those single led's that u place on ur windscreen squirters so yeah like i said try at ur own risk

It's not quite double standards, the manufacturer has to go through the whole design and testing phase, comply to Australian Design Regs, impact tests, aiming etc etc. The average punter on the street then assumes that because they're on a new Commodore then they can whack them on their 30 year-old clapped out Gemini and everything will be hunky-dorey.

A similar philosophy would be "you can get a Commodore with a 6.2L V8 now, my Camry is about the same size so I'll chuck a 6.2 in that".

It's not quite double standards, the manufacturer has to go through the whole design and testing phase, comply to Australian Design Regs, impact tests, aiming etc etc. The average punter on the street then assumes that because they're on a new Commodore then they can whack them on their 30 year-old clapped out Gemini and everything will be hunky-dorey.

i agree and disagree with this ...... some things are just common sense and others are as u highlighted .... simply out of the question ..... to be brutally honest its just a way for the whole industry to make a buck off the average punter as ull need to get it engineered what ever it is etc etc etc .....

A similar philosophy would be "you can get a Commodore with a 6.2L V8 now, my Camry is about the same size so I'll chuck a 6.2 in that".

i dont see an issue with this ;) ;) ;) sounds like an awesome conversion .... when do we start ;)

i agree and disagree with this ...... some things are just common sense and others are as u highlighted .... simply out of the question ..... to be brutally honest its just a way for the whole industry to make a buck off the average punter as ull need to get it engineered what ever it is etc etc etc .....

It's also a way of simplifying rules and making it a more even playing-ground - if there were exceptions set up for each different mod or every different chassis then the rule-book would be thicker than a large-print compendium of the complete works of Shakespeare bundled with Lord Of The Rings, and about as easy to read.

your car looks pretty new so yeah i wouldn't care.. only old pos cars with led strips should be defected for bad taste..

and what cop pulls over a prius?

Either a good looking modified prius / a speeding one.

• 3 weeks later...