Cold Start - Rev start and start at 1500 rpm

BlueBird

Hi all

Pardon my ignorance ... I have just gotten the Oct-07 ATX ... I am new here :) so I have a few Q that I want to clarify & get feedback

1) When I start the car in the morning (cold start), the tachnometer pin start at 1500 rpm and stay there until I put into D more, and it move to 1000 rpm

2) Is this fixable under warranty - the right side window, when I wind up & down - there is a sizzling sound, and it does not happen to the other windows.

3) I noticed that there is a 'click' sound when I first drive, it comes after the first 2-3 mins and moving from 1st gear to 2nd gear - wonder if this is an issue?

4) Because I got the car 2nd hand, will Toyota dealer know what have been fixed onto the car, e.g. *touchwood* I do not hear any rattling sound on the dash but I am not sure if that has been fixed before by Toyota.

Appreciate any feedback or advice.

Cheers

1) Completely normal. When cold, the engine will initially idle higher then as it starts to get some heat into it, the idle will drop slowly. Most EFI cars will do this. I would advise to wait just a little bit before shifting into drive on a cold start. Just to be a little softer on things.

Here is something to look at plus a recommendation from me:

V6 Engine REVS When Cold

Letting engine idle for a while on a cold start

Toyota recommend that you start driving immediately without letting it sit to warm up. This stems from emissions mainly I would guess, but there is probably other factors at play here like having a load on the engine etc.

My recommendations would be to start you car then when the revs drop to around 1000 RPM or lower and the temperature needle moves onto the scale, then you can start driving it. This should take around 30 seconds to a minute from a complete cold start. Once you start driving just try not to get your revs high (I usually stay below 2500-3000 RPM) and within about 5 minutes, it should be warmed up sufficiently. It's easier to do if you have some suburb to drive thought as you leave your house.

Just for reference on some of the extra noise on the normal Aurion's:

2) Possibly not a fault if you can narrow down where the issue is coming from. A 'sizling' sound would seem to me like its the glass sliding on the rubber guides that the window slides along. If you can narrow it down to this, then it can easily be resolved with silicone spray or graphite powder.

3) Also completely normal:

2 things: Thudd when taking off and Tyre Change

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:
When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.

4) Any work performed by Toyota should have a record in their database. If not Australia wide, then at least at the dealer who performed any work. If you can find out who performed most of the work on your car, then this would be a good starting point if your local dealer can't tell you.

The sizzling noise you are getting from your window sounds like the window regulator motor and if you go to your nerest toyota dealer and say that the motor is noisy they will more than likely replace it cause thats what they did for my dads aurion and it is making the same kind of noise you are talking about.

Thanks to both for the feedback t... I will read up the info ...

I will bring the car to a toyota dealer for warranty checkup ... apparently when I enquire about the servicing I was told there is a warranty recall on the hose something I did not hear clearly as I was in the train.

Also I am interested in getting a alloy rims from SX6 ... which is 17" ... what tyre is recommended?

Cheers

Also I am interested in getting a alloy rims from SX6 ... which is 17" ... what tyre is recommended?

It's dependent on how you plan to drive, the conditions you will come across, your budget, whether you prefer comfort or handling with the willingness to sacrifice one or the other, etc.

It's dependent on how you plan to drive, the conditions you will come across, your budget, whether you prefer comfort or handling with the willingness to sacrifice one or the other, etc.

hi djkor

this is a family car and weekdays only drive like 20km per day, and more during weekend. I would prefer comfort as I tend to drive slow and within limit

budget ... value for money :)

Cheers