AE96 - tougher box n clutch

hey guys i was askin zeerolla bout this and he said to post it up.

im lookin at gettin a new clutch n possible g/box for my 1.8 twin caM ae96.

my question was regarding the g/box n i was thinkin bout gettin sumthin a lil stronger then the stocko one...is there another 'box out there that is a simple bolt on that offers a lil more strenth then the stocko ?

thnx in advance

also while im at it how bout calipars too? anything worth upgrading too ? even ones from a newer model rolla ?

your car's an AE10x... Either an AE101 or AE102.

What do you need a stronger gearbox for?

A good upgrade would be a LSD C56 from an AE111 20V, it bolts straight in place and has better ratio's in 3rd and 4th.

If you want a stronger box, then you can use an E58 from an AE101 GZE, you will need the rear engine mount, driveshafts, flywheel and clutch to use it. It weighs 50kg in comparison to your original boxes 25kg, and the ratio's aren't suitable for a NA motor.

i was thinkin of a stronger box coz ppl say i drive pretty rough...i dont think i do tho...apart from that i was/am doin 800 km a week in it.

its not the AE 10... coz mine doesnt come with electric windows as standard.

the ratio's are ok apart from 5th...the car revs at 3 grand when im doin 100....is that normal....

how easy is it to source one of those LSD's and what improvements am i likely to see ?

im only a newb to this and havnt owned my car all that long...still figuring it all out

thnx

In order to warrant a gearbox upgrade from stock, you would need some pretty serious mods, I don't see that "rough" driving would be so detrimental to a gearbox that it would warrant a tougher box on a strong motor, if it does then seriously I think maybe a few advanced clutch control techniques may be in order (im not having a shot at you here I dont know how you drive, im just saying if your driving IS to blame then you need to address that rather than your car).

woah woah woah im not a lousy driver....i no ur not takina shot at me its ok

im jst simply doin what most ppl do and that is 'improve' their cars i was jst thinkin that i already hav to replace the clutch which means pullin it all apart so while its their i might aswel do sumthin else if its warrented.

as suggested the LSD...i dunno really what it will do....i would like to improve the 5th gear ratio...revs way to high....altho the LSd might not fix it if it improves other things then i might consider puting that in.

also anyone know of calipars that r an upgrade from the ones i got now but r a bolt on ?...maybe newer rolla ones ?

The LSD will limit how much it slips one wheel, in other words if you break traction when you take off, its usually only one wheel which slips, an LSD will deliver more of the power to the other wheel which still has traction effectively reducing how much traction you lose to the wheelspin.

Seriously if you want to enhance your car, I would not be starting with the gearbox, I would start with some bolt on power mods, maybe look at your induction and exhaust systems, think about opening those to up and maybe a new ecu to take full advantage of these bolt on mods. Its all dependant on what you want to spend but the toyota box's have historically been pretty tough and it would be a shame to see someone spend money on a tougher one where realistically the engine is not powerful enough to warrant that extra strength.

As for the ratios, the ratios were designed to keep your car in a nice spot, when in 5th if you put your foot down, it should pull away at an acceptable level without the need to downshift, this is because you are sitting in a spot pretty high on the torque curve. Lowering your cruising gear revs will mean you have to downshift on every single hill and every time you want to speed up. I own a sportivo and they sit around 4,000 when doing 120KM/H it took a little getting used to but I appreciate it when I put my foot down in 6th gear and it still pulls forward :).

Edited by Blade Hunter

i already hav the cat-back xhaust fitted and a pod filter. when i get round to it i will make some kinda better flowing CAI for it also and possible heat shield for the POD.

as far as bolt on power mods...i dunno what else to do other then a full supercharger/turbo conversion. i want to increase power but not to the extent to havin to replace the exhaust...which is only 1500km old.

remappin the comp or gettin a new one...not too sure bout that. anyone else that can suggest sumthin plz do otherwise i think i might fit the LSD and a new clutch from Dapto c&B as 'zeerolla' did.

thnx ppl

Well there are som good piggy back ecu mods out there which can be mapped specifically to your car, a few of the guys here have them and are totally wrapped with the power increase but more importantly the broader power delivery range.

Being that you have already got a couple of bolt ons, I would definately think about some forced induction, once you have set up a super / turbo charger then sure consider a new gear box because your going to be pumping a fair bit of power through it :).

what sort of pwr increase would i b lookin at from gettin a remapped ecu ? would it be significant and as far as 'bang for ya buck' a good investment ?

and if anyone of the illawarra ppl could giv me a hand and point me in the right direction as far as ppl to c bout gettin this done, would b vry much appreciated

yeah ive considered the supercharger conversion lately....instead or turbo...coz it isnt done as much...and as i read and understand the power delivery is a lot lower in the rev range. where as turbo often kicks in at much higher say 5000rpm +

what sort of pwr increase would i b lookin at from gettin a remapped ecu ? would it be significant and as far as 'bang for ya buck' a good investment ?

and if anyone of the illawarra ppl could giv me a hand and point me in the right direction as far as ppl to c bout gettin this done, would b vry much appreciated

yeah ive considered the supercharger conversion lately....instead or turbo...coz it isnt done as much...and as i read and understand the power delivery is a lot lower in the rev range. where as turbo often kicks in at much higher say 5000rpm +

5000rpm+... where did u get that number from? :blink:

You would usually have it kick in around 3,000 but I prefer a supercharger as a daily driver option, no surprises and good constant power.

Hehehe get a nice little gilmer belt drive on there too and you get that ZzzzZZzzz supercharger sound :).

Edited by Blade Hunter

maybe my figures a lil bit exagerated but u get what i measn dont ya.

yeah the supercharger is a much better daily driver option as far as i know

but this ECU thing (like a unichip) has anyone got a decent power increase form them? and what sorta price am i looking at ?

ill close the topic then n start another as we r startin to wander a bit off the topic :D

sorry mate didnt exactly know how u run ur forums here...

yeah anyone here with a clue bout upgrade with brakes/calipars ?

or what sorta increase with the unichip can b expected ?

Edited by 2XCIT3

upgade to some "superstrut" ae101 20V twin piston brakes with 275x25mm discs.

unichip etc on youe current motor is the worst bang for buck mod you can do. An ae101 4agze conversion is the best bang for buck mod if slapping a small turbo setup on your oiginal motor doesnt appeal to you.

AE101 GZE swap = about 40kw increase for $4000ish

small turbo setup = about 40kw increase for about $3500-4K

Unichip = about $1200-1500 for 10kw if you're lucky.

upgade to some "superstrut" ae101 20V twin piston brakes with 275x25mm discs.

unichip etc on youe current motor is the worst bang for buck mod you can do.  An ae101 4agze conversion is the best bang for buck mod if slapping a small turbo setup on your oiginal motor doesnt appeal to you.

AE101 GZE swap = about 40kw increase for $4000ish

small turbo setup = about 40kw increase for about $3500-4K

Unichip = about $1200-1500 for 10kw if you're lucky.

Some places to get these sort of things done in Wollongong and Illawarra are: Leisure Coast Carburators or "ScreaminPerformance.com" at Fairy Meadow. They are not the big bling bling workshops but is a family business and they do alot of custom work. I had a bar-plate front mount intercooler custom made by them before, tha car is even on their website and they also did a good job on my friend's red DC2 TypeR turbo (can still see the car at Wollongong Uni, a chick is driving it now B) ) -> 500+hp Supra -> 500+hp R34 Skyline Gts-t -> currently EVO 8. He lives in Wollongong, but the last time i saw him was a year ago.

Another good/better place is Southern Motor Works (look up yellow pages). They are in Albion Park Rail 20mins south of Wolongong located behind Tory Toyota. They do a lot of rexes and custom turbo setups etc. the boss drives a Lotus Exige and has 2 spare 2ZZGE engines fully tuned with engine internal mods in his workshop. Haven't witnessed the peeformance of these engines yet nor his Lotus Exige's so can't say much but his workshop is quite well known in my area.

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

thnx ppl this info is really appreciated. i know the screaminperformance workshop but since southern m/w is only like 10 mins from ny place it makes it quite a good option.

so with the recomended small turbo conversion the use of the LSD and upgraded clutch n brakes would this see a pull of maybe 130kw with the stock engine ? and possible 14 sec quater ? jst wondering...

thnx agn ppl....oh yeah and i would hav to get a new ecu wouldnt i with the turbo conversion i wouldnt b able to get the original remapped ? would this also b the case with the AE101 4agze swap ?

cheers

To give you an idea of power, now this is a VERY rough convertion and is not car specific but if you take the KW of your car and work out how many KW you want to get to, the difference on 7 is how many pounds of boost you need. In other words, every pound of boost will give you around the 7KW mark :).

So, lets say you have 102 KW, you need a further 28 to get to 130

28/7 = 4

You would only need to run 4 pounds of boost to get to the 130 KW mark.

Like I said this is VERY rough but is close enough for you to estimate your power gains, play with the figures a bit, I would have thought 6 or 7 pound would be normal in this application which would give you mid 40's KW in power gain.

Edited by Blade Hunter

i havnt had the car dynoed but according to redbook the engine makes 85kw at 5600rpm...that 102kw figure might b from the nxt series up ?

so it seems i would hav to run sumthin like 6-7 psi to achieve the 130 mark

would this mean a rebuild of the internals of the engine ie pistons etc ?

just tryin to weigh up all the costs involved b4 makin a decision

i havnt had the car dynoed but according to redbook the engine makes 85kw at 5600rpm...that 102kw figure might b from the nxt series up ?

so it seems i would hav to run sumthin like 6-7  psi to achieve the 130 mark

Possibly and possibly not, a MOTEC and an efficient front mount intercooler should keep your engine running fine. Might need bigger injectors too but other than that i think you will be fine with sedate amounts of boost. I would say with 4-6psi you can see about 80kw atw minimum. Btw if you go turbo you will need a 2.5inch or bigger exhaust.

Z

so it seems i would hav to run sumthin like 6-7  psi to achieve the 130 mark

i think so long as you make 7 your limit, you should be fine.

the 102 was just an example, i had no idea what yours produces :)

alright this is startin to get quite expensive now :P

ok so lets see we have...

>turbo

>injectors

>intercooler

>motec ecu upgrage

for starters....then....

>new larger exhaust

>upgraded clutch

>ae101 brakes upgrade

= how much ??? :blink:

but anyway i hav to seriously sort the clutch n suspension n brakes first as they r gggaaaawwwwnnnn

when i get it all 2gether itll b worht the moeny im sure

>turbo - $200 for second hand WRX turbo

>injectors - $150-200 for a set of secondhand 4agze injectors

>intercooler - $150-200 for a secondhand cooler of some description

>motec ecu upgrage - Dont need to go with a top of the line ECU. Greddy Emanage with MAP sensor, ignition and injector looms will do fine.

>new larger exhaust - $600-800 for 2.5" mandrel exhaust from turbo back including new highflow cat ($1000-1500 if the worshop feels like ripping you off.)

>upgraded clutch - $250 for HD Daikin kit, $200-300 labour to fit

>ae101 brakes upgrade - Set of superstrut fronts usually go for between $200-700 depending on what you get... $200 is secondhand calipers, pads and discs, $700 is new discs and pads, secondhand calipers.

Then you have:

-cooler piping silicon joins, clamps etc - $450 - 600

-Turbo manifold $400 in steampipe

-walbro fuelpump $170 (optional)

-Emanage setup $600-700 second hand incl support tool, ignition and injector looms and map sensor

-Tuning $200-500 depending on skill of tuner.

-BOV $40 for brand new Bosch BOV from an Audi

-Turbo oil feed line and fittings $50

-Turbo oil return fittings $50

Labour to install $1K approx