Corolla related article on www.drive.com.au

I tripped over the following article on www.drive.com.au, which I thought would be of interest to the Corolla owners here ... have a look at it before you read the rest of my post ...

Drive article

After reading that article, I thought I'd send them some feedback, and I'd just like to hear everyone's opinions on it (not trying to create a situation, just interested in people's views). Here's what I said to them:

"After reading your "Good Sports" article (drive.com.au, 6/6/05). While I think this was an excellent article in demonstrating the value of used performance cars, I feel a need to comment about your comparison between the Corolla Ascent and Corolla Sportivo.

This article has been skewed by using two models which are towards the cheaper end of the market, so that the $9,000 price difference can be rephrased as "huge % more". This trick can be used for lots of different cars, for example, is an Impreza WRX really worth 100% more than an Impreza GX.

What really needs to be considered, as an actual buyer of these cars would do, is to compare the extra cost in $ terms with what those same improvements would cost them, again in $ terms, if they were to buy the base car and modify it themselves.

Yes, I am a Corolla owner, I bought a Conquest over an Ascent because the extra luxuries on board would have cost me a lot more to buy myself than if I had added the accessories to an Ascent, not to mention the fact that all items are covered by the factory warranty.

I'm a big fan of the Drive website, but I just think on this occasion you needed to take an approach that mirrors a buyer's perspective, rather than using sensational claims.

Cheers."

After just having read the article I can say I dodnt really see eye to eye with the writer of this piece.

Seems hes comparing apples with oranges.

listing the retail price of a Sportivo and then going on to list a list of "quite used" alternatives for 2/3 of the price doesnt seem to make a convincing story.

I dont need to tell anyone here that used cars carry so much more risk than buying a brand spanker. I cant see how the writer can compare a swag of mid to late 90's performance car with a brand new vehicle. Sure some of the vehicles mentioned would beat a sportivo down the 1/4 but its not all about that. Yes, the used vehicles are cheaper but these cars are mostly over 5 years old and 100,000km's.

It doesnt really seem like a fair conparison to me.

Relevant for people looking to buy on that budget but then again they wouldnt be looking for a Sportivo in the first place would they?

After just having read the article I can say I dodnt really see eye to eye with the writer of this piece.

Seems hes comparing apples with oranges.

listing the retail price of a Sportivo and then going on to list a list of "quite used" alternatives for 2/3 of the price doesnt seem to make a convincing story.

I dont need to tell anyone here that used cars carry so much more risk than buying a brand spanker. I cant see how the writer can compare a swag of mid to late 90's performance car with a brand new vehicle. Sure some of the vehicles mentioned would beat a sportivo down the 1/4 but its not all about that. Yes, the used vehicles are cheaper but these cars are mostly over 5 years old and 100,000km's.

It doesnt really seem like a fair conparison to me.

Relevant for people looking to buy on that budget but then again they wouldnt be looking for a Sportivo in the first place would they?

Yesyesyes Support!

just like friend of mine bought a ext-demo car from holden (only done 18,000km), he got a big problem with the exhaust, the car would stall at the traffic light. In the first 4 months after the bought the car he had to visit holden again for the same problem and by friend was so pizz about this. After that he launch a complain to the customer affair Association and forward those letter to holden, finally he got a new engine.

When the time he bought this car, he could choose drop around 2k for no warranty or the normal price a continue warranty.

In short buying a second may give a better buget in term on $ in a short period, when comes to repair, it time to pay back. Lucky my friend got warranty, otherwise he would go bankrupt. B)

Edited by overloade

You dont need to buy an ex demo holden to suffer huge problems... just ask the thousands of people who bought brand new 5.7litre SS's.

Aussie cars are generally pretty crap.

And to me the sportivo was easily worth the premium over an ascent.

You dont need to buy an ex demo holden to suffer huge problems... just ask the thousands of people who bought brand new 5.7litre SS's.

I wouldn't quite say that ... after spending two weeks and 6000-odd km tripping around south-eastern Australia in a mate's 03 Falcon XR6 auto, I found very little to fault, other than fuel economy perhaps, but we were 4-up with a fortnight's gear in the boot, so 10 kms to the litre probably isn't too bad. I wasn't a fan of the sportshift, but we really didn't go anywhere that made use of it, I guess.

It handled well, rode well (even over cattle grids) and got up and boogied when the right foot said to. Oh, and he doesn't have auto-up on the driver's window, that annoyed me when stopping at places. :P

I know that's only one car out of the many thousands that are made, but its light years over the dribble that they were making 10 years ago. And don't forget, Toyota Camrys and Mitsubishi Magnas are Australian, too, and the only ones who really complain about them are Ford and Holden owners. :)

That article is a load of crap, and you cant even find those cars at those prices. What they dont mention is the hastles in finding a second hand car that has not been thrashed to the s**thouse. That article if you notice is all about killowats and price, because thats all that matter in a car rite??? what a joke, i am dissapointed and dont feel any confidence in what these motor journos say about cars because they are biast 9/10 times and write crap 9/10 times.

"Nissan's delicious, rear-drive 200SX coupe can also be found for this budget, a 1998 example with 111,000km costs about $18,200."

DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! c'mon its a car not an edible item, and where are you going to find one like that in stock form, and in the colour you want.

Haha, just read a writeup on Merc's CLS in the Carsguide. The writer used this phrase: "The four-door coupe, with a sloping roof-line, was even dubbed "Jag Fighter" throughout its development."

WHAT THE HELL IS A FOUR-DOOR COUPE!??!?!?!!?

Edit: the RX-8 is a 2+2 door, you still need to open the front door to access the rear door.

Edited by aaronng

Haha, just read a writeup on Merc's CLS in the Carsguide. The writer used this phrase: "The four-door coupe, with a sloping roof-line, was even dubbed "Jag Fighter" throughout its development."

WHAT THE HELL IS A FOUR-DOOR COUPE!??!?!?!!?

Edit: the RX-8 is a 2+2 door, you still need to open the front door to access the rear door.

I guess its a sedan with f-all rear headroom :P

If you can, have a look at the CLS from dead rear ... if nothing else, it will increase the value on a few thousand AU Falcons! :lol:

last night when we were getting ready for the track day today both shao and I notices that the SA Built Sportivo the trim and everything almost fell off the car, where the trim in my JP built accent was quite tought to get off, so it would appear that the JP built car was stuck together better, also the inside of the boot after the trimw as removed also had a better finish

Edited by Northy