Car Service - Optional Extra Servicing

Ronnyboy

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the below;

Its Time for another 6 month Service on my 2005 Camry.

When i called the Dealer to book a Service, they i asked if i wanted the following recommended service Done on top

Fuel Injector Service (rec every 30K or 12 months)

Airconditioning Anti-Bacterial Service (rec 12 months)

Power Steering Flush (Rec every 2 years)

Is it worth getting these optional servicing done that the Service advisors recommend or should i give it a miss?

Im not sure what Power steering flush is anyway, im guessing they are charging $130 to replace the fluid..... I duno,,

Feel free to comment :)

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the below;

Its Time for another 6 month Service on my 2005 Camry.

When i called the Dealer to book a Service, they i asked if i wanted the following recommended service Done on top

Fuel Injector Service (rec every 30K or 12 months)

Airconditioning Anti-Bacterial Service (rec 12 months)

Power Steering Flush (Rec every 2 years)

Is it worth getting these optional servicing done that the Service advisors recommend or should i give it a miss?

Im not sure what Power steering flush is anyway, im guessing they are charging $130 to replace the fluid..... I duno,,

Feel free to comment :)

I don't get my car serviced by Toyota, I go to an independent mechanic but generally do the power steering flush every two years along with the coolant and brake fluid (both of which are in the service book as 24 months). I also did the air conditioning service about two years ago because sometimes it would smell a little stale but since running the system almost constantly, the smell has not returned.

I've never done the injector clean, so cannot comment.

Edited by JMacca53

Its mostly upselling .

Same things done elsewhere and not at Toyota will save lots of $$$$ .

IMO Fuel Injector Service seems too soon at 30K ..

I would get the Aircon service if i felt it was required. Just a tip , when the aircon is used always turn off the AC and run just the fan for a few mins before turning the car off. Saves the hassle of getting it serviced later and the odour that comes out .

If you are not concerned about the cost then get it done .

mate, you warranty finished ages ago. Just go to another mechanic(not a dealer) and get the same service but way cheaper.

what the hell is it with dealers and up selling? injector cleaning at 30K? pfft. We had so many cars in our life time that had done hundreds of thousands of km's in its life time and we never done this injector cleaning stuff.

what the point in wasting the money? one day you are going to sell the car to someone else and they can foot the bill.

what the hell is it with dealers and up selling?

Um.... profit.

But yeah as said, try to look for someone more independent and with more competitive pricing. I wouldn't bother with the injector cleaning yet. If anything, get yourself a well known fuel additive that cleans your injectors and use that (eg. Fuel Doctor). The A/C cleaning as well isn't a bad idea if you are getting some really strong smells for more than a few seconds after turning your A/C on or off. However, you can usually get this done elsewhere for around $50, or you can just buy the treatment yourself for around half that and do it yourself.

As for the power steering, if it has been 75,000km or more since you have had it changed, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do that. But once again, try to look elsewhere for better pricing.

Its mostly upselling .

IMO Fuel Injector Service seems too soon at 30K

Thats exactly what i thought but thought it was a good idea to confirm. I do recall doing a fuel injector service 4 years ago (30,000 kms service) as the Service advisor said it will improve performance. Since the car was one year old back then, i agreed to go ahead with it as the vehicle was new and i didnt want to comprimise on performance in the years to come.

mate, you warranty finished ages ago. Just go to another mechanic(not a dealer) and get the same service but way cheaper.

I Still have warranty til end of 2011, hence the reason i am taking it to the Dealer. I had got a Complimentry 3 year Extended Warranty, which has never come in handy in the last 5 years.

injector cleaning at 30K? pfft. We had so many cars in our life time that had done hundreds of thousands of km's in its life time and we never done this injector cleaning stuff.

My old man said the same. He has never done the Injector service on any of his cars. He also said im better off going to Caltex and getting the Fuel Injector Fluid for less then $10 and using that(If needed)instead of spending $120 at the dealer.

Does anyone know what is involved and what dealers do for $120 on an injector clean? Surely they don't just chuck in an Injector treatment into the fuel tank and say thanks very much! I had an Ausy Skyline from new in 1989, did over 260,000 K's over16 years and other than the occasional Nulon injector treatment in the petrol tank the injectors weren't touched and were still working perfectly, when I parted company with the car. Oh! I used to put in 20Mls of two stroke oil whenever I filled the petrol tank, to help lubricate the valves and injectors and of insufficient quantity to affect the catalytic converter. Maybe Toyota injectors are of a poorer quality?

My old man said the same. He has never done the Injector service on any of his cars. He also said im better off going to Caltex and getting the Fuel Injector Fluid for less then $10 and using that(If needed)instead of spending $120 at the dealer.

Try Fuel Doctor. You can pick it up from any SuperCheapAuto. Also go to youtube and watch the Fuel Doctor video(just search for fuel doctor) and you will never use any other fuel injector fluid.

As for warranty, if the car is still under warranty and you would like to keep warranty, just go every 12 months to do dealer as per log book and JUST get the oil and filter changed. For everything else go somewhere else. Only go to the dealer to keep the warranty guys happy every 12 months so you don't forfeit it.

Does anyone know what is involved and what dealers do for $120 on an injector clean? Surely they don't just chuck in an Injector treatment into the fuel tank and say thanks very much! I had an Ausy Skyline from new in 1989, did over 260,000 K's over16 years and other than the occasional Nulon injector treatment in the petrol tank the injectors weren't touched and were still working perfectly, when I parted company with the car. Oh! I used to put in 20Mls of two stroke oil whenever I filled the petrol tank, to help lubricate the valves and injectors and of insufficient quantity to affect the catalytic converter. Maybe Toyota injectors are of a poorer quality?

I think its done with a machine. The only reason why the dealer would recommend this stuff is because they buy these fancy new machines, so they gotta make the machines money's worth somehow!

This is what i found on a Dealers website. Looks like they do more then drop fluid in the fuel tank

Fuel Injection Service:

Retores lost power and performance for only - $120 by cleaning carbon deposits from the upper cylinder area of the engine, ensuring your vehicle performs the way it was meant to. Fuel Injection Service is recommended every 20,000kms or 12 months.

This is what i found on a Dealers website. Looks like they do more then drop fluid in the fuel tank

Fuel Injection Service:

Retores lost power and performance for only - $120 by cleaning carbon deposits from the upper cylinder area of the engine, ensuring your vehicle performs the way it was meant to. Fuel Injection Service is recommended every 20,000kms or 12 months.

They do use an additive and the machine to go with it , Hardly any labour involved.

On car injector cleaning is very close to just being a gimic , slightly better the just Fuel Doctor.

You cant get the same results as taking the injectors off and then cleaning them.

The "Dealers website" is more aimed at people who dont spend time on these sorts of forums.The less technical and general knowledge ppl have the more they are inclined to believe the Dealers.

Seems like Fuel Doctor is the way to go... Might as well save the $120 for now :)

The only optional service i ended up doing was the Aircon service.

I've used the Nulon Total Fuel System cleaner and Valvoline fuel injector cleaner in the past.

I saw the Fuel Doctor product at Supercheap but didn't buy it because I thought the packaging looked cheap.

Will have to give it a try next time.

Edited by prometheus

Talking of Fuel Injector service, i was talking to a Mechanic Today, he was saying that when doing Fuel injector Services there is Three levels or layers that need to be serviced, where as when the Dealers do it they only do the one layer (upper level im guessing)not sure if the other layers are required or not.. But i guess the more layers the more it will cost :(

Does anyone know if theres any other Extra services other then Fuel Injector, Air Con anti bac and Power steering flush...

Talking of Fuel Injector service, i was talking to a Mechanic Today, he was saying that when doing Fuel injector Services there is Three levels or layers that need to be serviced, where as when the Dealers do it they only do the one layer (upper level im guessing)not sure if the other layers are required or not.. But i guess the more layers the more it will cost :(

Does anyone know if theres any other Extra services other then Fuel Injector, Air Con anti bac and Power steering flush...

To clean your fuel system completely, you may also need:

Fuel system cleaner (clean valve)

Engine flush (clean carbon)

If u diy the cost should be about $50-80. I still remember the old day, my mechanic (S. Motor) using racing fuel to clean the fuel system. Afterthat, they give me a sample of Fuel Doctor. At that time, fuel doctor is free.

• 3 weeks later...

The A/C cleaning as well isn't a bad idea if you are getting some really strong smells for more than a few seconds after turning your A/C on or off. However, you can usually get this done elsewhere for around $50, or you can just buy the treatment yourself for around half that and do it yourself.

I got the Air Con service done at the dealer about 3 Weeks ago and i have noticed that the aircon still smells a little stong. (Not as bad as it use to be though)

Is there any DIY products that anyone has used previously that they would recommend,,,,,

Edited by Ronnyboy