Road/tyre noise on the Aurion

No i took the wheel off then all the plastic. I got the gurney and blasted the area clean and then stuck it on. And no i will not peal off, once it is on it is fairly perminent

Hi Toyota Pride,

Did you stick it to the rear of the plastic or in the metal wheel well itself?

Cheers Rob

Just got myself new tyres. bridgstone RE002. Very quiet! Previously I had RE001. The new ones definitely very quiet.

From personal experience, new tyres always seem to be quiet and more compliant. I suspect this is because the rubber needs to cure and settle first. It'd be interesting to see what they're like after a few thousand kms.....

No i took the wheel off then all the plastic. I got the gurney and blasted the area clean and then stuck it on. And no i will not peal off, once it is on it is fairly perminent

Can I ask, when you measured the db levels, did you use any particular weighting? I was using the Radio Shack SPL meter and just realised I had it on the "C" (music) weighting when it measured 80db at 60km/h. When using the "A" (speech) weigthing it was in the mid 60 dbs.

Can I ask, when you measured the db levels, did you use any particular weighting? I was using the Radio Shack SPL meter and just realised I had it on the "C" (music) weighting when it measured 80db at 60km/h. When using the "A" (speech) weigthing it was in the mid 60 dbs.

From a purely empirical point of view, it shouldn't matter as long as the same settings on the SPL meter are used for the "before" and "after" measurements. You're looking for RELATIVE change in db levels and doesn't matter what initialised parameters you are using as long as the settings are the same.

Think of it this way, if someone tells you the temperature has dropped 15 degrees, it won't matter if it's in Celsius or Farenheit, or Kelvin. Fact is, it's gone cooler by 15 degrees. In this case, it's gone "quieter" by 10db.

From a purely empirical point of view, it shouldn't matter as long as the same settings on the SPL meter are used for the "before" and "after" measurements. You're looking for RELATIVE change in db levels and doesn't matter what initialised parameters you are using as long as the settings are the same.

Think of it this way, if someone tells you the temperature has dropped 15 degrees, it won't matter if it's in Celsius or Farenheit, or Kelvin. Fact is, it's gone cooler by 15 degrees. In this case, it's gone "quieter" by 10db.

I understand it's all relative. I am really more curios why we would get a big disparity in our initial readings. I just got the four doors sound deadened and got an improvement of around 2-3db. From 80db to around 78-73db at 60kph on the same patch of road. The earlier post mentioned tha the initial reading was 75db at 100kph and after sound deadedning was applied, the sound was around 10db improvement. Note when measuring road noise using the "A" (speech) weighting, the meter is less sensitve on the lower frequencies. In fact, when I measured using this weighting I was getting readings in the mid 60s.

By the way, 15d egrees cooler in celcius is not the same as 15 degrees cooler in Farenheit.