Road/tyre noise on the Aurion

Does anyone experience road noise/tyre noise in there Aurions? I just drove my bro in laws sportivo camry and that thing is deadly quiet and his tyres are like only few weeks left from having to replace but the car is still quiet as!

Is this the lack of sound deadening in our aurions or is it my tyres?

My aurion is still on factory tyres but have at least another year in them. Still some meaty tread on them. When I hit speeds of about 100 to 105 it gets fairly loud to the point where people gotta raise there voice to talk. though compare to the camry the aurion is for sure much louder.

The Aurion does lack a bit of sound deadening so road noise is something that you are definitely going to get.

That said, tire choice will also make a fairly big difference. For example, On my last Sportivo, my stock Michelin Energy MXV8's were a relatively quiet tire. When I changed to Potenza Adrenalins, I immediately noticed a difference in road noise. The Adrenalins were a good deal quieter than the Michelins.

On my TRD, I had been using the Dunlop Sport Maxxs at the front and Yokohama S.Drives at the rear. The other day, I did a rotation and put the Yokos to the front and the Dunlops to the rear. Immediately as well, I noticed a difference. This was more noticeable though. The Yoko S.Drives are quite a noisy tire. You get that wooshing sound like the Doppler effect or whatever it's called when you swing a length of hose in a circle around your head like a lasso.

Never bothers me though cause I always have music to overcome it, but fact of the matter is that even though there is not much sound deadening present, you can still choose a quiet tire to make a bit of difference.

yep i found the stock dunlop tyres, with NO sound extra sound deadener was pretty noisy.

once i had dynamat in front and rear doors, rear boot, rear shelf done, it quietned down a fair bit. then i had the 17's with adrenalin tyres fitted and it turned silent.. :ph34r: :)

I have this issue with adrenalin tyres. Some people say they are quiet and some say they are loud so who is telling the truth?

Can people answer these questions for me so i can confirm quires about this tyre?

1. How is the grip in wet for these tyres?

2. How is the grip in general before "warming" them up to get max grip?

3. Are the RE001 quieter than your previous tyre? (state which tyre used before)

4. How bad is the wear?

Is this review about right for the RE001? http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Potenza-RE001.htm

I'm trying to see the comparison between the Dunlops if it's accurate or not. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SP-Sport-Fast-Response.htm

So it looks like tyres can be the culprit but also poor sound deadening. Seriously, the cousins 02 sportivo feels like its made out of steal hard rock and the aurion build quality feels like peddle rock. Not trying to diss the Aurion but over time it feels like Toyota went a bit relaxed on build quality. Everything in the 2002 sportivo just feels so damn solid. No creaks, squeeks anything.

1. How is the grip in wet for these tyres?

When the tires less than about (my estimate here) 70% worn, their grip in the wet is good, but there is certainly better out there. Any more worn than that and you start to experience hydroplaning a bit more and general wet weather grip starts to deteriorate.

2. How is the grip in general before "warming" them up to get max grip?

For everyday driving it has fairly reasonable to better than good grip. Within legal road speeds, you won't have them slipping an sliding when cold. It's only when you are giving them a hard run that you notice the effects when cold. But this usually goes away after a few corners.

3. Are the RE001 quieter than your previous tyre? (state which tyre used before)

I reckon they are quieter than a Michelin Energy MXV8 in the same size (215/55R17).

4. How bad is the wear?

Under normal conditions where you don't always take roundabouts and corners at fast speeds, and if you have a good wheel alignment, these tires can be expected to last around 35,000km or more. On the other hand, if you always push them to the upper end of their grip and drive aggressively all the time, then expect to get around 20,000-25,000km out of them.

Is this review about right for the RE001? http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Potenza-RE001.htm

Seriously, the cousins 02 sportivo feels like its made out of steal hard rock and the aurion build quality feels like peddle rock. Not trying to diss the Aurion but over time it feels like Toyota went a bit relaxed on build quality. Everything in the 2002 sportivo just feels so damn solid. No creaks, squeeks anything.

Partly this is due to production costs, fuel efficiency and for ways to maximise profit. Safety kinda comes into play as well. The use of lighter alloy materials and more plastics means that you can make a lighter car for better fuel economy as well as saving costs since mess material is used. As well, certain use of plastics and more hollow body components allow for better impact absorbing properties in a collision. Then the simple act of reducing sound deadening also allows cheaper production.

It's what you get when you want more for less.

I forgot to also mention how comfortable are the RE001? Is the tyre soft, medium or hard compound rubber?

I'm not sure what it would be defined as, but to me, the tire felt to be a medium compound rubber.

In terms of comfort, I didn't notice any difference in ride comfort changing from the Michelin MXV8's to the Adrenalins in both the 215/55R17 and 225/50R17 profiles. This being on a Sportivo with stock Sportivo suspension.

DJKOR i was looking at some of photos of your previous Aurion and i noticed that the "arrow" in the RE001 tyres on the left were pointing down and the right were pointing up.

Did this affect the performance at all when you drove it?

Thanks for all the help so far.

DJKOR i was looking at some of photos of your previous Aurion and i noticed that the "arrow" in the RE001 tyres on the left were pointing down and the right were pointing up.

Did this affect the performance at all when you drove it?

The Adrenalins are a asymmetrical, non-directional tire. One side is labelled as 'inside' and as long as this side is orientated appropriately, the direction of the tread pattern is fine, even though you can see the pattern pointing in the opposite direction.

Have a look at several types of asymmetrical, non-direction tires. You will see the same type of situation with respect to the tread pattern direction. If it were a problem, you would think Bridgestone wouldn't be fitting them.

Does anyone experience road noise/tyre noise in there Aurions? I just drove my bro in laws sportivo camry and that thing is deadly quiet and his tyres are like only few weeks left from having to replace but the car is still quiet as!

Not sure about the Aurion but had the same problem, though only slight, in my Vienta. Solved the problem,by completing the double door insulating pieces that Toyota left out around the doors.

Not sure about the Aurion but had the same problem, though only slight, in my Vienta. Solved the problem,by completing the double door insulating pieces that Toyota left out around the doors.

What do you mean left out? On purpose or accident?

Am I the only one who actually like the Tyre noise on Aurion? It somehow feels tougher.. I know it's not :lol:. Althou I also like the very quiet, nice Aurion. :)

Ingres did his sound deadening for his ICE.. It eventually benefits him in this way too. And yes, sound deadening makes a lot of difference. But is it worth the money if intended only for the tyre noise? :s

• 1 year later...

Ingres did some sound deadening for his even red aurion he said it made lots of difference...

Just wondering where the extra sound deadeding was applied? Eg. front doors, back doors, roof, floor? I've got my front door sound deadening and been advised that the outer skin may not been sound deadedn. So I may have to redo the fronts as well get the back done.

Yes the Aurion has ALOT of road noise, so i went to supercheap auto and ordered some sound deadning material for about $150. I stuck this stuff on up in my wheel wells mainly in the front and some in the rear. I also stuck some inside the center console as i noticed some noise coming up through there. The difference is 10 decibels. Without sound deadening the aurion was 74-75 decibels at 100KM/H / 2000rpm on the M7 then with sound deadening with those same figures and road, the reading was 64-65 decibels. So i am very happy with my result andi can notice the difference !!! toast.gif

So it looks like tyres can be the culprit but also poor sound deadening. Seriously, the cousins 02 sportivo feels like its made out of steal hard rock and the aurion build quality feels like peddle rock. Not trying to diss the Aurion but over time it feels like Toyota went a bit relaxed on build quality. Everything in the 2002 sportivo just feels so damn solid. No creaks, squeeks anything.

So true mate, the reason why i bought an aurion (as i owned a falcon) was because i could not stand the build quality in the ford.....but to be honest i didn't realise toyota slacked off this much huh.gif im dissapointed. My 95 camry that i had back in the day was absolutely perfect ! I really hate this plastic s*** Toyota needs to return to making cars the way they used to make them. sad.gif

Yes the Aurion has ALOT of road noise, so i went to supercheap auto and ordered some sound deadning material for about $150. I stuck this stuff on up in my wheel wells mainly in the front and some in the rear. I also stuck some inside the center console as i noticed some noise coming up through there. The difference is 10 decibels. Without sound deadening the aurion was 74-75 decibels at 100KM/H / 2000rpm on the M7 then with sound deadening with those same figures and road, the reading was 64-65 decibels. So i am very happy with my result andi can notice the difference !!! toast.gif

Great work! A 10db difference is huge.

Excuse my ignorance, but with the whee wells did you apply it on the outside? If so, are there any issues with it such as pealing off?

mmm this is strange as the 40 series Camry and Aurion have a lot more deadener in them especially across the cowl panel. HSD Camry takes it all to the next level though with much thicker deadener used all round and anybody who has driving the cars back to back its immediately evident that the hybrid is massively quieter followed by the aurion and then Camry. Aurion is generally quieter than Camry as the powertrain is light years better and much quiter.36 series certainly was well put together, dash design was nothing special but materials used were quite durable. Hopefully the new model will be a massive leap forward in this regard.

So true mate, the reason why i bought an aurion (as i owned a falcon) was because i could not stand the build quality in the ford.....but to be honest i didn't realise toyota slacked off this much huh.gif im dissapointed. My 95 camry that i had back in the day was absolutely perfect ! I really hate this plastic s*** Toyota needs to return to making cars the way they used to make them. sad.gif

I feel the same , my 95 V6 Camry touring was rock solid , very quiet on the road and even at 15years old was an excellent car to cruise in , the interior held up very well. I can only hope the aurion holds up to that standard !

Edited by MyATX

Excuse my ignorance, but with the whee wells did you apply it on the outside? If so, are there any issues with it such as pealing off?

No i took the wheel off then all the plastic. I got the gurney and blasted the area clean and then stuck it on. And no i will not peal off, once it is on it is fairly perminent

Edited by toyota pride

No i took the wheel off then all the plastic. I got the gurney and blasted the area clean and then stuck it on. And no i will not peal off, once it is on it is fairly perminent

I measured the sound levels at 60km/h on a relatively smooth road. I was getting around 80db on my Radio Shack Meter. I'm using the Transas Teo Plus tyres which are supposed to be one of the quieter tyres in the market. Didn't realise it's that noisy!

I'm planning to get all the doors (both the inner and outer skins) sound deadened. I'm also exploring the prospect of having sound deadening applied to the front tyre wells depending on how much it will cost me extra.

I had no issue with factory spec and road noise...after i got me new wheels/tyres the noise was greater...then when i had her lowered the noise was a lot less so it is still a non issue for me thankfully...cheers cam