Mechanics in Newcastle

InactiveUser

Sorry if this is the wrong spot, couldn't think of anywhere more fitting. Anyway, I moved to Newcastle at the end of last year and I'm currently trying to find a good mechanic to go to. I've had my car done at NRMA shortly after getting here and that wasn't to bad, but does anyone have any recommendations for a mechanic they've used etc?

Sorry if this is the wrong spot, couldn't think of anywhere more fitting. Anyway, I moved to Newcastle at the end of last year and I'm currently trying to find a good mechanic to go to. I've had my car done at NRMA shortly after getting here and that wasn't to bad, but does anyone have any recommendations for a mechanic they've used etc?

The dealerships here aren't too bad (Newcastle and Charlestown Toyota that is, stay well clear of Cardiff Toyota), there are a million-and-one mechanics running around however and everyone will have their own personal favourites. Personally all the work on my car has either been done at Newcastle Toyota (for the first 8-9 years of it's life), then the rest by me except for rego (Theo's in Georgetown) and timing belt (Belmont Motor Repairs in Belmont). I've heard some good things about Nova (Hamilton) if you've got a modified car, but they might shy away from being associated with a stock Corolla or see a sucker coming.

Apart from that, best thing to do would be to find a couple that are either local to where you live, or convenient to public transport to get to work etc after dropping it off in the morning, and then try them out. No real point driving halfway across town for something that can be down around the corner. Speaking of which, whereabouts in Newy are you?

I'm actually in Belmont, so about 2km from Belmont Motor Repairs. I got my rego done with them in April. I guess the ease of getting there and back is a good point so I might think of them for the next service. I wouldn't mind doing it myself with some instruction from my dad who has been working with cars since before I was born, but I can't help thinking I need to keep it log book serviced to get a decent resale.

Edited by Aucix

NEWCASTLE TOYOTA ... STUFFED MY WIFES PRIUS :spiteful::angry: :( :nono::yahoo:

:D

WE NOW USE :3488.gif

:P :rolleyes::wub::clap::toast:

FOR BOTH HER PRIUS AND MY AURION.

WE USED THEM BEFORE WITH OUR PREVIOUS CARS AND , NO RIP OFFS, ALWAYS MOST REASONABLE CHARGES, VERY HELPFUL AND KNOWLEGABLE, REALLY GREAT TO DEAL WITH

NEWCASTLE TOYOTA ... STUFFED MY WIFES PRIUS :spiteful::angry: :( :nono::yahoo:

:D

WE NOW USE :3488.gif

:P :rolleyes::wub::clap::toast:

FOR BOTH HER PRIUS AND MY AURION.

WE USED THEM BEFORE WITH OUR PREVIOUS CARS AND , NO RIP OFFS, ALWAYS MOST REASONABLE CHARGES, VERY HELPFUL AND KNOWLEGABLE, REALLY GREAT TO DEAL WITH

What's the cost of a logbook service with them?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be wary of Belmont Motor Repairs. I was charged $1200 for a service,timing belt & new water pump in my 99 model Camry by them & my car came out driving worse than when it went in. I rang BMR the same day telling them what was wrong & that I needed my car to be right for my uni exam period- they assured me it was only the wheel balance causing the shuddering I was feeling. But things got worse (shuddering badly, even when idle) so I took it back in to them 3 weeks after the initial service & work had been done & explained what had been going on- told them it felt like a wheel was about to fall off at one stage. After a BMR mechanic looked at my car for half an hour while I waited they told me that I most likely had a compression leak causing my engine to miss & told me I'd need to book my car back in with them for further testing/repairs. I went straight to Nova Auto in Hamilton instead for a 2nd opinion & they performed a compression test in front of me (took 2mins & no leak), they showed me that BMR had fitted a new water pump as they'd said however they had re-fitted the old thermostat which had seized instead of putting a new thermostat in with the new pump, along with other problems they found & showed me on the spot ie. left front wheel bearing needed replacing, throttlebody covered in carbon, no. 3 sparkplug soiled & dead (all of which could have caused the shuddering). I'm in the process of writing a letter of complaint to BMR now actually. Very disappointed- they used to have a good name but since my troubles I'm now hearing other things. I'd recommend Nova (seem a lot more reasonable with pricing and standard of work), or Belmont Auto Centre (right next to Belmont Primary School) are always reasonable & handy location. Good luck with it.