VDJ76R

kenuppa

I am considering a new VDJ76R as a tow vehicle for a caravan.

I have seen comments elsewhere about the V8 diesel having problems with oil consumption.

Does anyone know if this has been sorted yet, or is it an ongoing problem with the Alloy V8?

Also, it is very hard to find info, reports etc on the VDJ76R. Anyone know where such info is available.

Local Toyots does not even have one in the yard so I can show my wife. I have to convince her before I can buy one.

Rgds,

Ken

The oil consumption issue is hit and miss, mine was a little thirsty for it but settled right down after 5,000 on the clock.

Then it was a great engine, didn't like cold weather though, sounded like the block was gonna split in half on cold start ups lol

I happened to roll mine while towing my race car, I wanted a wagon as replacement, but insurance wouldnt do it.

Not sure where to find your reports as such, are you referring to reviews etc? try magazines?

I didnt like the new dash layout when I got my replacement, the cab chassis actually reduced in size, my knee was squashed between the door pod (GXL) and the steering wheel, no matter where I positioned it.

Hope the wagons have more room.

I dont know if they've changed the front/rear track difference yet, that may be something to look at as well.

Good luck

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the width of the wheel track is a silly arrangement which Toyota should rectify.

Apparently fitting spacers to the rear wheels is not a good solution, and obviously not approved by Toyota from what I hear.

The oil consumption is an ongoing issue.

Look at posts on http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/

I will keep looking for info on a solution or rectification before deciding to buy.

Rgds,

Ken

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the width of the wheel track is a silly arrangement which Toyota should rectify.

Apparently fitting spacers to the rear wheels is not a good solution, and obviously not approved by Toyota from what I hear.

The oil consumption is an ongoing issue.

Look at posts on http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/

I will keep looking for info on a solution or rectification before deciding to buy.

Rgds,

Ken

Gidday Ken,

Did you find a solution for the track width difference yet. I am a newbie to the forum but have had Toyotas of various models for the past 25 years. I have just bought an 07 model troopy (my first new-ish Toyota, and bloke followed me to the shop the other day to tell me my truck was tracking out by 2". I told him I was aware that the front track width is almost 4" wider than the rear and he couldn't believe it. I would be keen to know if you found a solution. Thanks.

Cheers........ Rod

Rod,

The difference in track width is not a problem.

Toyota made the front track wider, to allow fittment of the "V" engine. The rear track is normal width.

Fitting spacers is illegal, at least in QLD.

Once you are driving, you cant see, feel or notce the difference.

Rgds,

Ken

The standard tyre size is 265/70R16.

Has anyone fitted larger, such as 285/75R16?

This would increase OD from 778 to 838mm which would reduce revs by about 8% in top gear.

Anyone know if this is this allowed?

Rgds,

Ken