CAI install help

hey guys :)

i'm in the middle of installing my simota CAI,

i'm under the impression i have to block the vaccum lines ? after the blue little circle thing :)

what should i be blocking this with ? :S

so basically i don't need any of that brown sensor stuff anymore ?

and all the other connectors remain in tact and i don't change them at all ?

i'm going off the K&N instructions so i'm a little confused

any help asap would be appreciated

i'm under the impression i have to block the vaccum lines ? after the blue little circle thing :)

I think the brown sensor might be your air temperature sensor? Not sure, but if it is, I reckon you'll need it.... the simota CAI only has a spot to screw in the MAF sensor...

And errr, you're getting me a bit worried, coz when I installed my CAI, the only thing I saw was the MAF sensor... didn't see any blue circle thing or any vacuum line... I've got a 1zz-fe, so is there a difference? Can someone please confirm? I don't want my engine to blow up or anything...

Oh, and also.... http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...p?showtopic=711

Edited by --Rudes--

the vaccum line thingo, before it splits off into 2 there is a little blue circle thing ?

edit: blue thing you can see in rudes link

what should i be sealing it with ?

also i can't seem to get either of the mounting holes to line up from the cai to the body work :S

Edited by darkeh

the vaccum line thingo, before it splits off into 2 there is a little blue circle thing ?

edit: blue thing you can see in rudes link

what should i be sealing it with ?

also i can't seem to get either of the mounting holes to line up from the cai to the body work :S

Don't worry... I couldn't get my brackets to line up either... make sure the first bracket is screwed in (the one on the main pipe), and let the bracket that's closest to the pod rest on the chassis...

I think the brown sensor might be your air temperature sensor? Not sure, but if it is, I reckon you'll need it.... the simota CAI only has a spot to screw in the MAF sensor...

And errr, you're getting me a bit worried, coz when I installed my CAI, the only thing I saw was the MAF sensor... didn't see any blue circle thing or any vacuum line... I've got a 1zz-fe, so is there a difference? Can someone please confirm? I don't want my engine to blow up or anything...

Oh, and also.... http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...p?showtopic=711

air intake temp sensor lives with the MAF sensor. ambient air temp sensor for the display inside (sportivos) doesn't even live remotely in that area.

The Blue "thingy" comes off completely, the hose which comes from the throttle body gets take out, and you block off the end of the throttlew body pipe(where the hose was" with a rubber stopper. The brown sensor is completely removed also.

The Blue "thingy" comes off completely, the hose which comes from the throttle body gets take out, and you block off the end of the throttlew body pipe(where the hose was" with a rubber stopper. The brown sensor is completely removed also.

yup what lucio said

you can either remove the blue thingy and piping all together and close off at the spout on the throttle body or you can remove the hose after the blue thingy and close if off there. it all depends on how big your fingers are as to which one you decide to do ;)

• 2 years later...

what exactly do the 'blue thingy' and 'brown thing' (i think u refer to them as the VSV ....) do - also what do the vaccum lines that come out of the stock airbox do .. if u block them off when u put the cai in ... what happens when u take the cai out ... are they necessary???

what exactly do the 'blue thingy' and 'brown thing' (i think u refer to them as the VSV ....) do - also what do the vaccum lines that come out of the stock airbox do .. if u block them off when u put the cai in ... what happens when u take the cai out ... are they necessary???

the VSV (or vacuum sensing valve) is used to control a flap at the bottom of the stock 2ZZ airbox. I'm not entirely sure but i think the flap opens under "lift" to allow more air to flow into the engine.

and yes, if you ever want to take the CAI out and reinstall the stock airbox, you will need it.

Edited by qkslvr