Diamondback Tyres on Camry Altise V6

K8Canb

On my recently purchased Camry Alrise, I noticed that two rear tryrs are Diamondback and front tyres are dunlop. The diamondbacks are almost new and I just now discoved at K-Mart that Diamondbacks are dirt cheap ($79 each for 205 65 15) that is cheaper than BobJane brand tyres.

I am now worried about these Diamondback tyres as I firmly belive in "You get what you pay". I have heard from friends that these are crfap tyres and their grip on wet roads is horrible, however, none of them have actually used these tyres.

Just wondering about your thoughts on these tyres.

K8Canb

Realistically... what are you thoughts?

Personally, just from the name alone I would call them a cheap crappy tire. But that said, they may work just fine in terms of everyday use, much like a cheap shoe can easily work for covering your foot and protecting it from the ground. It's just they may not be the safest tire out there should you ever come across a situation that may call on good grip, and as you said, wet weather performance may not be so great.

get a ku31 or ku36 or somthing along those lines

is it worth risking your life for an extra 25$ a corner??????

i went through that stage because i was poor. i got 7$ 2nd hand(70-80% tread tho)tyres from a wearhouse close to me and ran them. i soon learnt when i couldnt stop or accelerate

i now run one of the best road legal tyre avaliable and it makes the world of difference

Diamondback mostly focus on bike tyres and not car tyres. If you are getting tyres go with Kumho KU31.

And even then I wouldn't ride a Diamondback frame/tyre!

Get a decent tyre, makes all the difference.

Realistically... what are you thoughts?

Personally, just from the name alone I would call them a cheap crappy tire. But that said, they may work just fine in terms of everyday use, much like a cheap shoe can easily work for covering your foot and protecting it from the ground. It's just they may not be the safest tire out there should you ever come across a situation that may call on good grip, and as you said, wet weather performance may not be so great.

Thanks for the reply DJKOR, my issue is the tyres are already came on my car. I bought the car in Pickles auction, as the car was a repossed one the original owner masy have gone for cheap tyres.

My problem is I live in Canberra and wet driving and black ice are regular issues here. I hate to throw the almost brand new tyres but worry about my own safety.

My drawing has now become slower!

K8Canb

Those are the Brand tyres my Grandad has on his 94 model Camry.

He doesnt really mind those tyres as he only take the car to work,shopping and families places (which is all near by)

Plus he usually stays 5-10 KM's under the speed limit.

I once had to drive his car in the rain at night and the performance and handling were fairly poor.

Realisticly it comes down to your personal choice - If your happy with it then keep it,

it also depends on the condition your going to drive in.

If you do drive in poor conditions then id say its a good idea to have better performing tyres.

I noticed that your about the same age as my grandad, so its a good idea to take into consideration on how far you drive and your driving style.

Those are the Brand tyres my Grandad has on his 94 model Camry.

He doesnt really mind those tyres as he only take the car to work,shopping and families places (which is all near by)

Plus he usually stays 5-10 KM's under the speed limit.

I once had to drive his car in the rain at night and the performance and handling were fairly poor.

Realisticly it comes down to your personal choice - If your happy with it then keep it,

it also depends on the condition your going to drive in.

If you do drive in poor conditions then id say its a good idea to have better performing tyres.

I noticed that your about the same age as my grandad, so its a good idea to take into consideration on how far you drive and your driving style.

I wish I could drive bit slower! Unfortunately in Canberra everyone drives at or slightly above the speed limit, if anyone try to drive slower then the other drivers get angry and sho their anger too. Most roads have 50, 60, and 80 km speed limits. Couple of roads have 100 km limits and that is my worry! The two tyres which are Diamondback are near new and I hate to throw them, may be I will use them sometimes and then change to my normal Bridgestone.

Thanks for all for replying and some suggest not to buy these, unfortunately I already have them on my car.

If the tyres are not safe then the Government should not allow them to be sold in Australia!

K8Canb

f the tyres are not safe then the Government should not allow them to be sold in Australia!

K8Canb

The tyres are safe in the respect that they meet a minimum safety standard. However, that minimum standard may not be the same as YOUR minimum standard - one man's "poor handling, crap grip, squeals like a pig" is another man's "I only drive around town, rarely get to 60km/h, never take a corner in anger, and don't want to pay $300 a corner for a tyre for my bog-stock 4-cylinder econobox". In short, they are only going to be "dangerous" if you ask more of them than what they are designed for. Remember that 90% of road users are simply commuting from A to B and care nothing about how they get there as long as they do get there, and it is for these people that the cheap Kmart/Bob Jane tyres are designed for. Obviously you can't take those sorts of tyres and expect them to handle well under the punishment of an enthusiast, in the same way that you can't take a performance tyre and expect it to live up to a penny-pincher's expectations for wear life, noise and cost.

f the tyres are not safe then the Government should not allow them to be sold in Australia!

K8Canb

The tyres are safe in the respect that they meet a minimum safety standard. However, that minimum standard may not be the same as YOUR minimum standard - one man's "poor handling, crap grip, squeals like a pig" is another man's "I only drive around town, rarely get to 60km/h, never take a corner in anger, and don't want to pay $300 a corner for a tyre for my bog-stock 4-cylinder econobox". In short, they are only going to be "dangerous" if you ask more of them than what they are designed for. Remember that 90% of road users are simply commuting from A to B and care nothing about how they get there as long as they do get there, and it is for these people that the cheap Kmart/Bob Jane tyres are designed for. Obviously you can't take those sorts of tyres and expect them to handle well under the punishment of an enthusiast, in the same way that you can't take a performance tyre and expect it to live up to a penny-pincher's expectations for wear life, noise and cost.

Thanks

K8Canb

I wish I could drive bit slower! Unfortunately in Canberra everyone drives at or slightly above the speed limit, if anyone try to drive slower then the other drivers get angry and sho their anger too. Most roads have 50, 60, and 80 km speed limits. Couple of roads have 100 km limits and that is my worry! The two tyres which are Diamondback are near new and I hate to throw them, may be I will use them sometimes and then change to my normal Bridgestone.

Thanks for all for replying and some suggest not to buy these, unfortunately I already have them on my car.

If the tyres are not safe then the Government should not allow them to be sold in Australia!

K8Canb

Use these wheels for now and if you feel its not safe or it doesnt meet your expectations, Change them to Bridgestones.:)

• 1 month later...

It is interesting to note that almost every tyre manufacturers have started marketing cheap tyres. Other day I received Bridgestone catalog in mail box and a tyre called "CALIENTE" 205/65R15 is priced $79; also got BobJane Tmart catalog and all major manufacturers have started selling cheap car tyres.

Looks like Diamondback tyres selling at $79 at Kmart must have forced all manufacturer to face the competition :P

Anyone noticed the avaioilability of cheap car tyres (sub $80 to $95) from most manufacturers?

It is better to stay away from these cheepies.

K8Canb

Fortunately, the weather is going to be warmer and maybe drier then the winter we had. So black ice won't be a problem until next year. See how they go and make a decision before the next winter.

Unless the storm that New Zealand copped today makes its way over the Tasman to us.