Which Semi slick for TRD Aurion?

G'Day,

I've been out on the track recently with a friend in a Honda S2000 which had semi slicks on it grip was just excellent and decided I will try them on my TRD for more grip.

What tyres should I be looking at buying that are good on the street as well? I was looking at Federal for value for money.

Don't wanna spend a fortune on this just now.

Thanks

Semi slicks aren't very good on the street. They are very noisy, and the best grip comes when they are below the wear markers (provided the tyres heat cycle well). So they give the best grip when they aren't legal. Stay away from the Yoko/Advans as they don't heat cycle very well. Dunlop 03G and Bridgestone RE55S are the pick of the lot, but because they give the best grip and heat cycle the best they cost the most.

As for life, expect about 400km from your first set, and once you get better at controlling them you can probably get up to 700km out of them.

If you want cheap and half decent I hear good things about the Khumo KU36, but it isn't a true semi slick, hence why it can get above 1000km from them.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that you will most likely have to change to another wheel size... probably smaller than 19 inches. Finding a semi-click for a 19 inch wheel that will maintain the appropriate diameters required for the Aurion will be rather difficult (well that's what I found), so this is where it gets a little tricky. Getting 20's with semi-slicks will also probably end up too large of a rolling diameter so this is why you are probably going to have to go smaller. Only issue there is, I'm not sure what the legal requirements are because the TRD comes stock with 19 inch wheels. In my mind, I would imagine that going smaller would be illegal seeing that the 17 inch wheel that comes with the TRD is considered for temporary use only.

Just something to consider. But like what Dave mentioned, going for a semi-slick on a car that is mostly used on the road is a rather costly exercise. You are better off getting another set of rims to put them on and using them for track only.

Are you referring to track mileage?

yes

Also, I'm not sure about how much Toyo/Kumho cost, but they are a lot cheaper than the Dunlop and Bridgestones. For reference I'm told 17" in the Dunlop/Bridgestone are about the $470ea mark.

Federal 595RS aren't R-compound semi's - they are more like a UHP tyre. Also don't heat cycle very well but will last a long time if you don't wear down the shoulders.

Semi's not only wear quicker on the road, but they also aquaplane in the wet (a lot!).

Federal 595RS aren't R-compound semi's - they are more like a UHP tyre. Also don't heat cycle very well but will last a long time if you don't wear down the shoulders.

Semi's not only wear quicker on the road, but they also aquaplane in the wet (a lot!).

And just a note as well for the original question, both the 595RS and the KU36's don't come in a 19 inch size suitable for the TRD... well that's what the data on their site says.

• 2 weeks later...

For mostly street use, i would stay away from r compound and go s compound...sort of a semi slick for streets. The ku36 mentioned is a s compound tire and comes at a very affordable price if you shop around. Two other s compounds off the top of my head are advan neova ad-08's and falken's rt615.

In terms of traction, they are kinda in between a UHP street tire and an r compound semi slick. They will still need to be warmed up for fun, and generally aren't fantastic in the wet. Treadwear is acceptable if you're not a tight****.

I've gone through a set of falken rt615's and bridgestone re-01r's personally and think s compound is about right for street and mountain runs. Just keep in mind s and r compounds have a higher traction threshold then give way much quicker than street tires so you'll be gripping gripping gripping understeering much quicker. My personal preference is still street tires because i love feedback and hanging on the limits but i'm looking at some s compounds for my weekender as well. I'm thinking of settling for the ku36's to try them out.

S compounds also aren't noisy like r compounds are and warm up quicker mhmm. Oh and the mentioned re55s have been replaced by re11s.