Off Road Capabilities

Kissa

Having recently purchased a AWD Kluger, and planning a trip to Tasmania, I am wanting to know if I can rely on it to take us the off road occassionally. We are looking at beaches and tracks - nothing too full on. But can it handle soft sand and mud?

Having recently purchased a AWD Kluger, and planning a trip to Tasmania, I am wanting to know if I can rely on it to take us the off road occassionally. We are looking at beaches and tracks - nothing too full on. But can it handle soft sand and mud?

Hi mate,

Fine for snow, sand, trails etc. The biggest limitation is the road orientated tyres.

If you are likely to do your fair share of trails etc, fit some all terrian tyres. This will give a huge boost. The standard tyres really are purely for onroad use, and very prone to punctures etc when heading off the bitumen. Remember the kluger lacks the ground clearence and underbody protection for anything too serious.

cheers and enjoy

Edited by wilsact

I think the Kluger will amaze you where it can go. However with ALL AWD/4WD a little bit of common sense is always worth exploiting.

The ground clearance is about 200mm which will see you over most rough stuff, however if not certain stop and have a look at the road area in question. The car does not have Low Gear range, while it will get up most respectable steep grades, if it has to climb over rocks an extremely steep inclines, it will fail. The tyres as already commented on, are road tyres, so do not expect miracles in mud. But crossing some slushy terrain will not be a problem. Also diff locks are not available so if you get one side of the car bogged (both left wheels or both right wheels) you will not be able to drive straight out.

I took mine on a round Australia trip last year and got into the Bungle Bungles where the only challenges were 7 creek crossing with about 50cm of water which the Kluger did without any difficulties at all. We got into Palm Valley near Alice Springs without any difficulty at all. We also drove on a beach with average sand dunes and wheel ruts without a problems (by letting the tyre pressure down). We also toured many national parks were the tracks I would have graded from easy to challenging. Most people would be surprised were even a 2 wheel drive, let alone a AWD will go. I find that with a small amount of common sense the driver's limitation are surpassed before the vehicle's limitation.

Enjoy your trip and do not worry to much about the Kluger's capabilities.

Edited by SamF

• 1 month later...

Dont go in soft black mud with the standard tyres, you will not be happy with the results!

I did it twice in the same weekend last month the road looked not too bad, the Kluger thought it was way to much for its little self to take and squealed like a pig!

Sorry about the big pics darn site doesn't re size!!

And this was the first time I was bogged so the car was twice as bad as the last photo, it had to be pulled out from the rear both times

post-5904-128576548674_thumb.jpg

post-5904-128576549333_thumb.jpg

post-5904-128576550403_thumb.jpg

Edited by PC XT
  • Like 1

• 11 years later...