Apple's program to shutdown jailbroken apple devices

dyslexik

Concerns jailbroken iphone users Apple's remote shutdown program

Apple's becoming the next Microsoft in the early nineties when they had a huge popularity boost and became cocky.

I have no doubt that they'll be slapped with an anti-trust law suit pretty soon ................ perhaps .......

Anywho, not using any apple devices nor do I see myself do in the very near future ..... Andriod FTW !!!!

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

ROFL, this is the biggest media beat up i've seen in a long time.

The idea behind this technology is to prevent theft of iPhones/access to potential classified corporate/personal/govt. information on said devices.

If apple wanted to stop jailbroken devices, they have had the means to since the iphone was released.

i agree with mick..

are you seriously telling me that the people who actually WROTE the operating system for the iphone dont know where the holes are in the software that allows jailbreaking?

a company the size of apple only had to employ 1 or 2 people that are good at finding holes in software... i'm 99% sure they would have already done this... lol

if not, they are the stupidest company around...

The reason why it's only been recently reported of Apple's extended power over the functioning of their products, is probably due to their own legal proceedings in court, since God knows how long... So maybe there lies your answer to your questions why Apple hasn't been able to remotely shutdown JB iphones in the past.

Just like the marketing gimmick for the iphone 4 prototype. It was "supposably lost" by one of their staff at a bar, but knowing that new phones competing against the iphone 4 will be released at the same time as its predetermined launch, it made consumers stop and wait for the new iphone 4 to hit the shelves. It hit the news headlines and what was good about it was that Apple didn't have to fork out money for advertising and marketing expenses like other brand labels had to. Even, with the reception flaws, consumers still wanted the iphone 4 purely for the same reason as iPod buyers back then bought an ipod. It was a new toy from Apple with a new design.

kenshin - you have a JB iphone, so this concerns you.

secaboy - you have both an iphone and ipad, not sure if its JB or not, but if it is, then it concerns you. I'm 100% certain that Apple, a company of that size is aware of its OS flaws... but maybe they just hide it better than MS.

Guni - you say you prefer the Android platform, I'm assuming you have a Samsung Galaxy S. If you do thats great, because its a pretty good PDA phone. It purely sh*ts over any other Windows Mobile PDA phones out there in the past and now as well as the slow as F**k HTC HD2 released a few months ago. But here lies the underlying fact, that iphone buyers buy the iphone not because its got the best functions, etc... they buy it because its the new iphone. Pure and simple.

Btw... on the link there is a section below the news article that allows you to make your above comments, so why not direct your "APPLE" questions there instead.

i agree with mick..

are you seriously telling me that the people who actually WROTE the operating system for the iphone dont know where the holes are in the software that allows jailbreaking?

a company the size of apple only had to employ 1 or 2 people that are good at finding holes in software... i'm 99% sure they would have already done this... lol

if not, they are the stupidest company around...

With hundreds to thousands of people writing code for an operating system it is impossible for any one person or company to truly know where ALL the holes are.

Add on to the fact that the fundamental operating system was coded by a completely different company/organisation (BSD Unix) as well as the different components of what makes up the applications on the OS then it makes it even more impossible that a single entity knows every hole.

We are talking millions of lines of code from thousands of people.

A JPG and acrobat vulnerability are the most common JB methods and they are not even core OS functionality but a layer above the OS.

I highly doubt Apple purposely left any holes because it only means less app sales.

Look at the way companies with Apps or Attachments work.

Apple make money on the hardware and phone sale then on the music and app sales. It is in their interest to make sure people buy apps and music by locking the phone and have feature updates.

Toyota make money on the car sale and the services. It is in their interest to not have the same engine as another manufacturer so it is preceved that support is second rate else where (warranty periods).

Xbox lost money on the 360 (but now makes) and make lots of money on the attachments (games). It is in their interest to sell more games and have game functionality where games are best "online" where updates are needed.

All I am saying is Apple have 3 ways of keeping you spending money after the fact.... Locked into buying music from them, locked into buy apps from them and buying a new phone. Anything outside of that and they don't want it to happen.

jailbreaking does not make the offical app store redundant. It simply provides access to apps. that would never be approved.

Unless you use your JB to pirate apps (which is illegal, like any pirating) then you are not breaking the law, nor preventing apple from selling you apps/music/etc

jailbreaking does not make the offical app store redundant. It simply provides access to apps. that would never be approved.

Unless you use your JB to pirate apps (which is illegal, like any pirating) then you are not breaking the law, nor preventing apple from selling you apps/music/etc

That's the first comment I've read about jailbreaking that let's me see the forest through the trees... If you know what I mean. Totally makes sense. Btw my iPhone is not JB.

That's the first comment I've read about jailbreaking that let's me see the forest through the trees... If you know what I mean. Totally makes sense. Btw my iPhone is not JB.

Most people without an iPhone (and even many with) don't understand the point of Jailbreaking

80% of the apps in Cydia/Rock/etc (Jailbroken App stores) would NEVER get in to the normal app store, they use API's not available in the offical Apple SDK, or break the submission rules.

I like having access to these apps, as many of them are VERY useful and let me take full advantage of the iPhone (hardware/unix core). However, this by no means negates the need for the App store... I have purchased (and will continue to do so) many, many apps from the official store.

Sure, you can pirate app's with a jailbroken phone, and its not that difficult.. but why bother? with 50% of the apps you would ever want being either free or under $2 its not worth it.

IMO 80% of people who jailbreak are not hurting apple in any way as we still need/want/use the official channels for obtaining apps/etc

Most people without an iPhone (and even many with) don't understand the point of Jailbreaking

80% of the apps in Cydia/Rock/etc (Jailbroken App stores) would NEVER get in to the normal app store, they use API's not available in the offical Apple SDK, or break the submission rules.

I like having access to these apps, as many of them are VERY useful and let me take full advantage of the iPhone (hardware/unix core). However, this by no means negates the need for the App store... I have purchased (and will continue to do so) many, many apps from the official store.

Sure, you can pirate app's with a jailbroken phone, and its not that difficult.. but why bother? with 50% of the apps you would ever want being either free or under $2 its not worth it.

IMO 80% of people who jailbreak are not hurting apple in any way as we still need/want/use the official channels for obtaining apps/etc

I agree about the 80/20 rule in the sense that they are not hurting Apple by way of not purchasing apps and music through them, but they are hurting Apple by recognising that the product isn't good enough not to be JB.

What I don't understand is how some JBers can still be loyal to the Brand when it is apparent that it doesn't serve their needs and wants. That's like buying a Honda then putting a Toyota engine in it.

What I don't understand is how some JBers can still be loyal to the Brand when it is apparent that it doesn't serve their needs and wants. That's like buying a Honda then putting a Toyota engine in it.

I wouldn't say it's that radical, more like Apple apps being official genuine Toyota and TRD aftermarket parts, and JB'ing allows you to use non-genuine accessories. Putting a Honda engine into a Toyota would be like taking an iPhone and trying to transplant the better screen from a Samsung Galaxy S for instance.

I wouldn't say it's that radical, more like Apple apps being official genuine Toyota and TRD aftermarket parts, and JB'ing allows you to use non-genuine accessories. Putting a Honda engine into a Toyota would be like taking an iPhone and trying to transplant the better screen from a Samsung Galaxy S for instance.

Ok sure. But an even more accurate analogy would be loading Android on the Iphone. LOL.

Ok sure. But an even more accurate analogy would be loading Android on the Iphone. LOL.

I agree about the 80/20 rule in the sense that they are not hurting Apple by way of not purchasing apps and music through them, but they are hurting Apple by recognising that the product isn't good enough not to be JB.

The Genuine part analogy is pretty apt. I am loyal because I like the hardware, I like the OS, etc. I just also like to be able to put whatever I want on it.

Sure, android is alright, and its come a long way, and out of the box its more open. But I am not really a fan of any of the hardware it runs on, nor do I think the OS is as polished as iOS

edit: it is possible to run android (albeit it poorly) on older iPhones.

Sure, android is alright, and its come a long way, and out of the box its more open. But I am not really a fan of any of the hardware it runs on, nor do I think the OS is as polished as iOS

That is the catch. Nothing in computing will ever feel "polished" if it is open and vice versa.

The Iphone OS and Hardware is great and I would recommend it to anyone (after recommending an Android phone), but it isn't for me.

If all development and new product releases stopped for the next 10 years then in my opinion the majority of people would be using Android phones.