Got my new Aurion...

Tim SX6

Hey all. Im new to the club, but been into toyotas for ages. Had 3 corollas and a yaris and just stepped into a 2008 Aurion Sportivo SX6.

Overall Im extremely happy with the car, goes well, good on fuel, drives well. I picked it up from a Toyota Dealer after spending months looking for a private one without damage.

I have read the common problems people are having with the Aurions, and luckily i have the August 2008 model so there are no dash rattles, I have the solid metal VVTi oil line, and dont seem to get a knock in the intermediate steering shaft, But, after a few weeks of driving i have picked up a few things and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me....

1- Is there supposed to be a backlight on the electric mirror controls, and the door lock/unlock button? I couldnt find the mirror controls in the dark and its quite annoying.

2- What is the factory alarm system supposed to sound like. When armed and i unlock the door and open it, there is a pathetic siren and the hazzards dont even flash so people wouldnt have a clue what car was being broken into!! I think mine has had an aftermarket alarm fitted and the factory one turned off. It still makes the beep when the remote is pressed like every other aurion.

3- When I turn full lock on the steering wheel and hold it full lock, i can hear a slight rattling sound outside the car. Is this normal?

Thanks guys.

Tim

Hey all. Im new to the club, but been into toyotas for ages. Had 3 corollas and a yaris and just stepped into a 2008 Aurion Sportivo SX6.

Overall Im extremely happy with the car, goes well, good on fuel, drives well. I picked it up from a Toyota Dealer after spending months looking for a private one without damage.

I have read the common problems people are having with the Aurions, and luckily i have the August 2008 model so there are no dash rattles, I have the solid metal VVTi oil line, and dont seem to get a knock in the intermediate steering shaft, But, after a few weeks of driving i have picked up a few things and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me....

1- Is there supposed to be a backlight on the electric mirror controls, and the door lock/unlock button? I couldnt find the mirror controls in the dark and its quite annoying.

2- What is the factory alarm system supposed to sound like. When armed and i unlock the door and open it, there is a pathetic siren and the hazzards dont even flash so people wouldnt have a clue what car was being broken into!! I think mine has had an aftermarket alarm fitted and the factory one turned off. It still makes the beep when the remote is pressed like every other aurion.

3- When I turn full lock on the steering wheel and hold it full lock, i can hear a slight rattling sound outside the car. Is this normal?

Thanks guys.

Tim

Welcome to TOCAU

1. There is no backlight for the mirror or window control. The only light there is for window control is the driver one which has AUTO on it. You will get use to it after a while because you memorise where the buttons are.

2. My alarm sounds exactly like the horn. All hazard lights flash as well.

3. I don't have any rattling sound. Might have to do something with the tyres and the walls but i'm not sure.

1) These controls are not illuminated. The door lock one could do with illumination, but at the end of the day, it's not something critical. Over time, you will remember where it is, and the feel of the raised side of it helps. As for the mirror controls, it's not something adjusted often, so I agree with the decision to not have it illuminated.

2) The factory alarm is pretty much the front horns, the engine bay horn, and your lights flashing. That's about it really.

3) If you are referring to a noise when you hold it at the very very end of the steering, then try as much as you can to refrain from reaching that point. When you hear noise when you hold it on it's complete limit, this is actually the power steering pump at maximum pressure. This can lead to blown hydraulic seals etc, which results in you having to get your rack replaced/reconditioned.

Thanks for your feedback. I do agree its not crucial that the mirror buttons are lit i just wantd to make sure they werent supposed to be. My alarm must be an aftermarket one then. Im not overly happy with it so either rip it out and get the factory one turned back on or get a new aftermarket alarm fitted. I just cant deal with an alarm that makes a mouse fart noise and doesnt even flash the indicators. lol.

As for the power steering its exactly as you described DJKOR. I had to get out of a sticky spot where i was parked in and noticed the noise holding it on full lock. I guess i will try to avoid that in the future.

Once again forum members to the rescue. I learn something every day. Thanks.

why don't you try and turn on the reading or door light to find your buttons? this may sound a bit stupid, but its a suggestion.

Edited by seifer

why don't you try and turn on the reading or door light to find your buttons? this may sound a bit stupid, but its a suggestion.

Haha, yeh I did think of that one lol.

I now feel like an idiot asking that question, but the only reason I asked was because it was a second hand car with warranty and I need to make sure everything is working.

I now feel like an idiot asking that question, but the only reason I asked was because it was a second hand car with warranty and I need to make sure everything is working.

I also typical have recently bought a second hand SX6 Aurion 2008 model in blue. My alarm sounds like a 'faintish' typical alarm sound, no a horn sound which is bloody annoying and hence why I unplugged it on my previous Toyota Camry.

I also have a question if others can help as I still have a year of new car warranty left to go......When starting the car from cold,there is a slight knocking noise in the engine bay (quiet but still audible to me) for the first couple minutes but goes away when the temp reaches normal op. temperature. I have driven slowly to see if it's still there and it is, but not as loud.

Also is the rear badge AURIONSX6 a stick on or has hole locators?

Sorry to high jack your post tim

When starting the car from cold,there is a slight knocking noise in the engine bay (quiet but still audible to me) for the first couple minutes but goes away when the temp reaches normal op. temperature.

These engines are rather noisy and the 'issue' you have described is nothing out of the ordinary for these engines and something that you won't really be able to get fixed.

There is another knocking noise on cold startup to be made aware of though. It happens for a couple/few seconds at the most and is rather loud like marbles in a can. It's caused by the VVT-i controller and in most cases, it only occurs around the 15,000km mark for the non-TRD, and around the 10,000km mark for the TRD. An oil and filter change gets rid of it though and it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effects otherwise.

I also typical have recently bought a second hand SX6 Aurion 2008 model in blue. My alarm sounds like a 'faintish' typical alarm sound, no a horn sound which is bloody annoying and hence why I unplugged it on my previous Toyota Camry.

I also have a question if others can help as I still have a year of new car warranty left to go......When starting the car from cold,there is a slight knocking noise in the engine bay (quiet but still audible to me) for the first couple minutes but goes away when the temp reaches normal op. temperature. I have driven slowly to see if it's still there and it is, but not as loud.

Also is the rear badge AURIONSX6 a stick on or has hole locators?

Sorry to high jack your post tim

The noise your hearing is sort of normal for the 2GR, you hear it in some cars more than others and some like my car doesnt ever exhibit the noise/knock. I'm not sure with it gets worse or better with more kays or different fuel types or if its a climate thing but it's nothing to worry about. :)

All the badge other than the 3 eclipse bulls head emblem on the grill and boot are adhesive that can (with care) be removed pretty easily.

Edited by Adamsy

When starting the car from cold,there is a slight knocking noise in the engine bay (quiet but still audible to me) for the first couple minutes but goes away when the temp reaches normal op. temperature.

These engines are rather noisy and the 'issue' you have described is nothing out of the ordinary for these engines and something that you won't really be able to get fixed.

There is another knocking noise on cold startup to be made aware of though. It happens for a couple/few seconds at the most and is rather loud like marbles in a can. It's caused by the VVT-i controller and in most cases, it only occurs around the 15,000km mark for the non-TRD, and around the 10,000km mark for the TRD. An oil and filter change gets rid of it though and it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effects otherwise.

DAMM YOU & YOUR S/C Aurion DJ LOL :)