aurion - add mp3/aux input

pattox

We are just about to take delivery of a Sep 2009 Aurion ATX. This is the "older" model without an aux/ mp3 input. The FAQ - see below - refers to a Toyota kit which adds this input.

When I rang Toyota about this they said it doesn't exist. I was wondering if someone could help with more specific information, or ideally, a Toyota part number.

Q) My factory head unit did not have an auxiliary input for my iPod/MP3 player. Is it possible to add this functionality?

A) Absolutely. Toyota sells a kit that enables you to plug your iPod or any other external audio source directly into your factory head unit so you can play your music through there. Alternatively, if you have some electronic knowledge, you can save yourself some money by making this yourself. A member here, 'shane_85', has written a DIY guide and this can be seen in the tread below.

I've now found the part number : 8619053010 Satellite Navigation External Auxiliary Audio Input Socket.

Has anyone had this mod done to their head unit using this part?

We are just about to take delivery of a Sep 2009 Aurion ATX. This is the "older" model without an aux/ mp3 input. The FAQ - see below - refers to a Toyota kit which adds this input.

When I rang Toyota about this they said it doesn't exist. I was wondering if someone could help with more specific information, or ideally, a Toyota part number.

Q) My factory head unit did not have an auxiliary input for my iPod/MP3 player. Is it possible to add this functionality?

A) Absolutely. Toyota sells a kit that enables you to plug your iPod or any other external audio source directly into your factory head unit so you can play your music through there. Alternatively, if you have some electronic knowledge, you can save yourself some money by making this yourself. A member here, 'shane_85', has written a DIY guide and this can be seen in the tread below.

Edited by pattox

I've now found the part number : 8619053010 Satellite Navigation External Auxiliary Audio Input Socket.

That part number is just for the Aux socket itself - it includes no wiring or connection to the headunit itself.

I wasn't at parts too long, just enough to find out the above. The bloke also read out a number of other possible solutions but I didn't have time to stick around unfortunately.

Thanks to all who replied. I was hoping that there would be a painless and relatively inexpensive commercial solution to this problem but that is starting to look unlikely. I've read the detailed thread on the diy option and I'm beginning to think that is probably the only practical way to go. I just have to summon up enough courage to take the head unit out.

I was just hoping against hope that someone had already had this mod done by a professional in Sydney, so I could go the same person.

Btw, toyota charges around $60 for this socket, which is pretty steep for just a socket and nothing else.

That part number is just for the Aux socket itself - it includes no wiring or connection to the headunit itself.

I wasn't at parts too long, just enough to find out the above. The bloke also read out a number of other possible solutions but I didn't have time to stick around unfortunately.

as shane_85 went to the trouble to do a "how to" on the aux input i followed it and it works perfectly. i work at a toyota dealership and i looked into aux sockets. the camry/aurion or either the prado socket that also has a usb sock , but that was too dear.

in the howto it shows you how to place a resistor across 2 wires tricking the audio unit to give to AUX option. there is a plug on the divers side of the audio unit where the 3 wires are picked up from (power ,earth and input) and it is then wired to a 3.5mm socket so a mp3 player can be plugged in.

i carried out this mod on my 2006 zr6 and it works great with my ipod touch. you dont have full control of the ipod as a microprocessor is required to integrate this. i copied shanes wiring and made a couple of looms , it really isnt hard , he even went to the trouble of supplying links and part numbers from jaycar.

as far as the sat nav question , i will look into it as i did have a grande kluger wanting the same but were told there is nothing available , unless you spend $700 for a unit to integrate which lexus use ?????? lol

cheers