tiny windscreen chips

Kenshin X

hey guys. not sure if this is posted in the correct section but yeah...

yesterday some stone rained on the windscreen and caused tiny 1-2mm chips on my windscreen. one of them is partucularly annoying bcuz its right in front of my line of vision. no spider cracking or deep chips maybe size is pin head

does anyone know a good place in melbourne to get these repaired? also ill only do it if its at least barely detectable and no clouding in thw windscreen whatsoever

thanks

some pictures this one is in the line of vision

DSC00885.jpg

this ones worse but its in the middle

DSC00883.jpg

many more like this but not as bad... getting some quotes now, but i know they aren't going to be cheap...

options would be:

1) suck it up and live with it til something REALLY bad happens to the windscreen

2) replace it with a brand new one (cost $200 fitted) and get more stone chips in the future

In my opinion, unless you have the money to get it filled (which they rip you off with these days) or you can get it filled cheap, then I would just leave them and bear the nuisance. Otherwise, if you had the money to blow on getting it filled at normal costs, then a new windscreen would probably be the better option.

At that size/depth, it shouldn't become a crack or a solid chip, but some crazy stuff happens out there. This is where if you are getting close to your insurance renewal, just live it out till then, add the windscreen repair option for like $40-$50 extra, then after a couple of months, aim to get it to chip seriously in the irreparable area. Then you get a cheap new windscreen. Even if you are like 10 months away from renewal, if you can bear the nuisance, then do that.

Then proceed to remove windscreen option the following year :lol:

Off-topic: Gotta love the close-up feature of the Cyber-Shot T-Series hey? Pretty useful for things like that.

thanks for that djkor.

i was quoted $259 to repair 3 chips (of no bigger than a 1 dollar coin)

or $413 for a replacement. they also said that if i decide to change to a newer windscreen, i'd never pay for more than a replacement for the same car. which means for example if i do go ahead with fixing the chip. next time they'd take it off the $259 from the $413.

watta joke. -_-

i'm going to wait until i respray my whole car, then get full comp insurance with the extra 50 bucks then 2 months later change it. i'll live with the nuisense for now...

Off topic: yeah with the T series (i had a DSC-T100) now i got the TX-7 because my brother lost the old one. best electronic i bought to date ;)

• 3 months later...

i bought a windscreen repair kit when i was in the USA for like $20 and it was the same stuff as the pro's use, shows what a rip off the pro's are !!! i'm sure if you look around you can find the kit here or maybe on ebay. just try a small drop of the fluid / glue and see if it hides the chip, i'm sure it will. it sets when exposed to sunlight. it's kinda like superglue, maybe that would work too?? i know once the chipped glass gets wet it will dissappear.

good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep do as DJ mentioned. I always get the windscreen replacement option for 20-30 bucks more just in case of things like this.. I only just had the beemer window replaced with a new one, due to heavy wiper scratching. I said a truck threw up some gritty mud and it killed the windscreen (which is what actually caused most of the damage) easy fixed. Replaced for nothing. Short of that, yes, i would try the epoxy window chip fix. If your really annoyed with it, the 'wetting' action of the epoxy should make the chips far less visible.

I had to have my windscreen replaced about 4 months ago because of a stone chip which happened while driving from Sydney to Orange NSW.

the fluid thingy did fix 80% of it but i ended up getting the windscreen replaced as it was covered by insurance...

The price i was given by Windscreen obrian was $550 for no frills one and $700 for Genuine. I ended up getting the genuine one :)