Repair time query

Nicko

We have a 1996 Tarago that has suffered a complete engine meldown due to a split (plastic top tank) radiator.

The repairer quoted $2100 for a 2nd hand replacement engine and couldn't guarantee that it would have all the required parts on it (eg. sensors distributor etc). I made 3 phone calls and sourced another engine (complete) for $1350.

I purchased another radiator also.

They said they could not give me a better estimate than 20 hours (@ $100/hr) for the removal and refit.

Admittedly it isn't a job I would relish....and there are a few minor things (hoses and water pump) to do also.

The Toyota book times for such a job are 1.5hrs for the radiator and 8.5hrs for the engine.

Is it just me, or does an extra 10hrs ($1000) seem a bit excessive to anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

@$100 per hour they better work faster.. @15hours should be managable to drop and put in. they got equipment and tools..my 2 cents worth..ps @15hours thats nearly 2 normal working days!!

That is about what I thought too.

After paying the $2300 bill just for the removal and replacement, I now have the engine warning light illuminated constantly.

A scan test indicated that it reqired a new oxygen sensor (lambda).

Toyota wanted $404 for the front(4 pin pre cat) and $300 for the rear (2 pin post cat). Found one at an auto electrics for $140 (4 pin pre cat). Fitted it, cleared faults by disconnecting battery for a few minutes.....and still the light was illuminated.

A mechanic suggested looking at the other logged fault, namely a left knock sensor signal abnormal fault reading....with a string of 7 other faults following.

Code 001

1) left knock sensor signal abnormal

2) knock sensor circuit fault

3) sensor be tighten too close or too loose to the cylinder body

4) ignition timing error

5) securing seat of generator or compressor loose

6) too large clearance noise of valve

7) too large bearing wear and tear

8) module fault

Code 002

Left O2 sensor output voltage lower than 0.035V or higher than 0.7V, no change for 60 seconds.