Auto manual shift

Mr Toyoda

The automatic gearboxes used on Toyota's... especially the Camry, are not intended to be driven as a manual. The purpose of the gear selector is to limit it to a particular gear. Driving an auto that is not designed as a semi-auto is not going to get you any better performance and will more than likely put more wear on your gearbox.

If you want a manual, buy a manual.

LC200, Prado 150 Series, Kluger 40 series, Aurion and Rukus aside i dont think the other Autos in Toyota's have Sequential Shift with AI? just the open gate system so you can shift down a gear or to to limit speeds going down hills etc? tell you what though the "b" feature on the HSD cars CVT trannies is pretty decent peforming feature. :)

LC200, Prado 150 Series, Kluger 40 series, Aurion and Rukus aside i dont think the other Autos in Toyota's have Sequential Shift with AI?

Call it what they want, the gearbox is still a true automatic gearbox built to run like one. I personally wouldn't say it's intended to be driven manually. They can just call it Sequential shift because the shifting action basically is the same motion as a true sequential, but at the end of the day, it doesn't define the nature of the gearbox.

LC200, Prado 150 Series, Kluger 40 series, Aurion and Rukus aside i dont think the other Autos in Toyota's have Sequential Shift with AI?

Call it what they want, the gearbox is still a true automatic gearbox built to run like one. I personally wouldn't say it's intended to be driven manually. They can just call it Sequential shift because the shifting action basically is the same motion as a true sequential, but at the end of the day, it doesn't define the nature of the gearbox.

This.

As far as I am aware, the only 'proper' sequential/semi automatic gearbox that has been in a toyota was the one in the MR-S... and it was ratshit!

I wont go into trying to manualise your auto, its possible but not worth it and expensive.

If you want faster shifts and can put up with them being a bit harsher, go look up some shift kits for your auto. This can cause extra wear on your box but you should be able to negate most of it will a good tranny cooler.

This.

As far as I am aware, the only 'proper' sequential/semi automatic gearbox that has been in a toyota was the one in the MR-S... and it was ratshit!

Great info there, my biggest gripe with the Toyota dealer here is that when I was looking for a manual Gen 6 Camry (which are pretty few and far between!! Would love some actual sales data) they kept trying to sell me an Aurion saying that I could drive it like a manual and shift myself - any wonder there is a such a misconception about it all when they try to promote it like that. I just don't get the point of it driving like that, other than as suggested to limit speed down a hill or what not, if its an auto, drive it as an auto. And as Daryl said, if you want to drive a manual, then buy a manual. Yes they are getting harder to find (across pretty much all manufacturers), but nothing that can't be done without the appropriate research/effort.

Edited by Tash

Understand points and agree with those being made.

The "sequential" in Toyota's is not like others I've driven. My old man has an F6 Typhoon with a ZF 6 speed auto in it and it is streets ahead of Toyota's ones. In the Toyota, if you leave it in first and flog it, it will still change into second/third etc whereas with the ZF6, you leave it in first and it stays in first - it's your fault if you forget and blow the trans!

I wouldn't bother shifting any Toyota auto manually, maybe the Aurion but I've found that even shifting it in a sports manner, you're probably not improving the performance of the car any more than you'd get by just leaving it in drive.

The "sequential" in Toyota's is not like others I've driven. My old man has an F6 Typhoon with a ZF 6 speed auto in it and it is streets ahead of Toyota's ones. In the Toyota, if you leave it in first and flog it, it will still change into second/third etc whereas with the ZF6, you leave it in first and it stays in first - it's your fault if you forget and blow the trans!

The Toyota A304 4sp auto (found on lots of older RWD toyotas, such as my Supra) has a 'manual' feature that forces it to not upshift, it'll just bounce off the limiter, but yeh, not good for it. That any my 'MANU' button is broken so it doesn't work for me (FFS!).

After having a car with the ZF 6HP26 gearbox (XR6T)i can say that yes it's defiantly one of the best sequential Auto box's out there, is fantastic in D and does exactly what you tell it when you want it too in S mode, bounces of the limiter and holds gears and has pretty much zero lag., plus the +/- is around the right way lol. Must admit I’ve never really bothered to use the S mode in any of the other Toyota’s other that the Aurion’s U660E purely because the other vehicles that have the feature are pretty much the tanks of the range that don’t really do the sports thing so not sure if they shift up when you hit the rev limiter or not but I’ve never had the one in the Aurion do that but i also don’t really make a habit of bouncing my engine of the rev limiter lol.