springs

2.2lt 97 camry

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

i dont want to start a new topic, so i guess i'll plant this here?

Do u have to lower the rears if u want to lower the front? Cuz i JUST want to lower the front without lowering the rears, and wondering what negative impacts that will have (if any?).

Thanks for your wealth of knowledge.

Cheers

Edited by Wixy

Technically the rear of your car goes up and down depending on how much fuel you got in the tank so you dont really need to lower the back if you just want to lower the front. However, you'll look a bit odd if you just lower the front and not the back.

My front was lowered about 2cm more than the back for a period of time on my coils and had no issues.

If you want the front springs for your ride (im assuming gen 6 SE camry) let me know. Still got my fronts for sale and i want to get rid of them asap

Technically the rear of your car goes up and down depending on how much fuel you got in the tank so you dont really need to lower the back if you just want to lower the front.

A full tank of fuel is only 1/2 to 2/3rds the weight of a passenger in the back seat, so the change in height isn't _that_ drastic. You'd get the reverse effect by having a passenger in the front and none in the back, plus most cars these days have the fuel tank under the rear seat so some of the weight will get distributed to the front wheels anyway (again, like half a backseat passenger)

If you want the front springs for your ride (im assuming gen 6 SE camry) let me know. Still got my fronts for sale and i want to get rid of them asap

Looks like he's got a Gen4.5 so I think you are going to be holding onto them for abit longer!

so im guessing there's not negative mechanical impacts apart from looks, which im 200% cool with, because with stock gen 4 and 4.5 camrys, if u remove stock wheels and plant either 16' or 17' wheels, the front will always look RIDICULOUSLY 4WD style than the back. and thus, by lowering the front, it makes the vehicle look normal, level and somewhat eyecandyly eye catching. maybe i should take a pic to demonstrate what i mean

ive found that with all gen 4 & 4.5 camrys, when the car is level - that is all 4s are the same height, lowered or not - the back is always lower than the front. im sure u can spot some camrys that have been reved up on this forum with the same result.

either that, or my rear suspension is collapsing.......................lol............................

and yea private number, sorry, u'll just hold on to them for a while longer

Edited by Wixy

so im guessing there's not negative mechanical impacts apart from looks, which im 200% cool with, because with stock gen 4 and 4.5 camrys, if u remove stock wheels and plant either 16' or 17' wheels, the front will always look RIDICULOUSLY 4WD style than the back. and thus, by lowering the front, it makes the vehicle look normal, level and somewhat eyecandyly eye catching. maybe i should take a pic to demonstrate what i mean

ive found that with all gen 4 & 4.5 camrys, when the car is level - that is all 4s are the same height, lowered or not - the back is always lower than the front. im sure u can spot some camrys that have been reved up on this forum with the same result.

either that, or my rear suspension is collapsing.......................lol............................

and yea private number, sorry, u'll just hold on to them for a while longer

The Gen5's share this trait as well, it sucks.

Technically the rear of your car goes up and down depending on how much fuel you got in the tank so you dont really need to lower the back if you just want to lower the front.

A full tank of fuel is only 1/2 to 2/3rds the weight of a passenger in the back seat, so the change in height isn't _that_ drastic. You'd get the reverse effect by having a passenger in the front and none in the back, plus most cars these days have the fuel tank under the rear seat so some of the weight will get distributed to the front wheels anyway (again, like half a backseat passenger)

Well for my ride, even on springs i noticed there was a difference of about 2 fingers from full to empty. On coils, its about a finger.

Looks like he's got a Gen4.5 so I think you are going to be holding onto them for abit longer!

damn LOL

The Gen5's share this trait as well, it sucks.

sometimes u just want to shoot the ppl in the design teams. yes designing cars is one of the hardest to do, eventhough everyone seems to think otherwise, but when u have the experience and know how of designing a good car, bloody at least make the damn thing look respectable.

the pathetic thing about the design of the gen 5s is that the stock rear wheels - 15' or 16' are around 1 to 1.5 inches shorter than the actual body, leaving a car looking too big for itself as the wheels are "inside" the chassis. its design practices like this that should deem the head designer shot, at least demoted for crying f-s sake. another gr8 example is the AU Falcon - boy that was one fugly grill....... *shoots designer*

end rant!

Edited by Wixy