Stinkin Airbag Light

Snowtechi

Can anybody shed some light on why the airbag warning light is on on my dash. I've got a 2007 hilus SR5 and just recently the warning light came on and all the manual says is to take the vehicle to the dealership. If anybody has had this happen what was the problem and was it an expensive fix. Cheers

The Airbag wants to pop out and give you one for calling this Post "Stinkin Airbag light" :P

Could be a fault with the Airbag or might just be the sensor on its way out...

As the manual states "Take it to the Dealership"

If the Airbag does inflate, it will cost over $1000 to have it replaced.. :(

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Same happened to my car some years ago, warning light kept coming on.

Dealer said probably the "Clock Spring" was faulty whatever that is.

Eventually the Dealer claim they fixed it by replacing this mystery "Clock Spring". Couple hundred dollars!

After picking the car up and on the way home, guess what happened.... The bloody warning light came on again!

So, back to the Dealer.

They had the car for a few days, and eventually replaced the Airbag (In the centre of the steering wheel) Nine Hundred Dollars!

On the way home, no, only joking, never did see the warning light again, but I wonder what was the problem really?

Now I am gun shy of airbags. Don't like cars with 4, 6 or even 8 airbags. Imagine the cost when they decide to play up?

Oh, and I did ask for the old airbag. Still got it at home, don't know what to do with it, can't throw it in the rubbish as the box says it could still go off!

Rgds,

Ken

Now I am gun shy of airbags. Don't like cars with 4, 6 or even 8 airbags. Imagine the cost when they decide to play up?

Unfortunate that it happened to you, but cases like this tend to be an exception to the norm. Airbags are pretty stable/durable and don't usually break down whilst waiting in standby.

Still got it at home, don't know what to do with it, can't throw it in the rubbish as the box says it could still go off!

Connect some wires up to it, prepare a 12v battery, and be creative. Just don't be like this idiot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ2XhDsNT5k

If you can't think of anything, just launch it:

• 10 months later...

WellsieTRD was correct usually hilux clock springs just failed (for those that dont understand what a clock spring is it's basicly a flexible electricall circuit shaped like a clock spring ) they fail all the time simply disconnect the battery then remove the air bag, steering wheel centre nut then steering wheel remove and replace spring with wheel facing straigh forward ! done it a thousand times don't be scared of airbags they are safe !