engine conversion \ rebuild

jaypee

hi, new here to this site and just wanted to ask a few questions

i have a holden apollo - which is just a camry rebadge from 1990 with the 3SF carby engine

recently its been running like *#$@ so im tearing the block apart and replacing all the vavles/gaskets etc

i came across an offer of a 4afc engine and was wondering whether the 4afc was a better engine, and if it would be compatible with the 3sfe transmission/wiring loom/fuel rails etc

if not, what are the major differences? and could parts still be used off the 4afc engine to repair things of the 3sfe

tanks in advance,

jp

As far as i knew the SV21 Camry / Apollo was a 3SFE engine which is fuel injected , the "E" in the engine code means that it's a fuel injected engine. Also , you won't find any valves in the block they are situated in the head. A 4AFC engine is from a Corolla and is 400CC smaller in capacity , it's also carb and has no real compatibility with a Camry.

If the current engine is not running correctly your better off sourcing another head and having it serviced by a head machinist and fitting new seals , gaskets etc.

As far as i knew the SV21 Camry / Apollo was a 3SFE engine which is fuel injected , the "E" in the engine code means that it's a fuel injected engine. Also , you won't find any valves in the block they are situated in the head. A 4AFC engine is from a Corolla and is 400CC smaller in capacity , it's also carb and has no real compatibility with a Camry.

If the current engine is not running correctly your better off sourcing another head and having it serviced by a head machinist and fitting new seals , gaskets etc.

the current engine i have is a 3sf not sure if its still classed as 3sf or 3sfc, or 3sfe(carb).

yeah i knew that the 4afc was a downgrade in CCs but its also a carby model and wasnt sure whether it would be able to bolt straight into the existing tranny n loom etc

i cant seem to find any reco 3sf engines around, and just having a new addition to the family funds restrict going and buying a whole new car,

if i could replace the majority of parts/gaskets/seals myself as i have mechanical knowledge/experience..

Early pov-spec SV21s (and JK Apollos) were carby 3SFCs with EFI on the higher-spec models, it wasn't until mid-life (and the Apollo went to JL code) that the whole range went EFI (much like the AE92s).

But yes, the 4AFC is a major downgrade from the 3S, plus it won't physically bolt to the gearbox (S-series engines use a different bellhousing pattern to A-series engines).

Early pov-spec SV21s (and JK Apollos) were carby 3SFCs with EFI on the higher-spec models, it wasn't until mid-life (and the Apollo went to JL code) that the whole range went EFI (much like the AE92s).

But yes, the 4AFC is a major downgrade from the 3S, plus it won't physically bolt to the gearbox (S-series engines use a different bellhousing pattern to A-series engines).

yeah thats the model car in question :D

thanks hiro, would you have any idea of other options/engines/ or whichever to be of help to me?

yeah thats the model car in question :D

thanks hiro, would you have any idea of other options/engines/ or whichever to be of help to me?

If it's just a daily, then I see no reason to put anything other than another 3SFC in, or get a wrecked EFI model and swap the engine and all electrics/fuel-related stuff over - neither are particularly uncommon nor expensive. Barring that, if you want something with oomph then your best bet is a 3SGE or GTE, but you're getting into conversion territory there which means $$$$. Best standard engine you'd get would be the V6 model but they're not that common.