Madico 'Charcool' tint review

bush1e

Hi all

I just had my AT-X tinted and I thought I'd share my experience for anyone thats thinking of getting it done.

Why tint:

To reduce UV exposure and heat for 3 month old baby in the car capsule in the back seat. At least thats how I sold it to the missus. It just looks cool :)

Melbourne

Product research:

I think that its not hard to make a film that will block UV, its hard to get a flm to stick (I'm a chemist and know something of surface technology). So I only wanted a film made by a reputable technology company, such as 3M. I intially wanted a ceramic film, however they are too reflective, and therefore illegal in Australia. I excluded metallic films, as I just installed gps, bluetooth, etc and these can interfere. I ruled out any mobile tinting service, as it should be done in a clean, controlled environment. I found a guy running his own business 'Car Tint', and has been in the business 17 years, with some really great reviews of his work. He does a lot of luxury vehichles for ads.

He recommended using 'charcool' by Madico, which doesn't contain metals. Madico have a good repuation. The only drawback of this film is that it can look a little greenish. I chose this film, in 35% transmission, the darkest legal in Australia.

Results:

I'm very happy with the finally result. The guy took 3-4 hours to install, and he really took his time to get it perfect. It didn't help that it was ****** rain and quite cool.

We went for a 1/2 day drive on the weekend and the reduction in UV was great, for once my driving arm didnt get burnt. Its hard to commet on heat reduction, however the sun coming through the windscreen was much stronger than that coming through a tinted window. Our baby was very comfortable, and much cooler. The weather was only 20 deg, outside, and although the sun was warm there was a cool breeze. Probably have to wait till summer to notice anything more.

Time to install

3-4 hours. He took the door trim off, and cut around the brake light on the parcel shelf.

Cost

396. Thats a lot of money for a tint, however I was really looking for the best job available

I took a lot of photos, and included some here

post-21226-0-52982400-1290307834_thumb.j

Thats my car! no, the white one... looks like tinting pays ok.....

post-21226-0-50060900-1290307624_thumb.j

before tint

post-21226-0-40461500-1290307655_thumb.j

after tint

post-21226-0-05084600-1290307681_thumb.j

before tint

post-21226-0-90968700-1290307741_thumb.j

front untinted, back tinted

post-21226-0-19760700-1290307781_thumb.j

doing window. The door trim has been pulled back

post-21226-0-77711300-1290307858_thumb.j

ahh, aint she beautiful

I had mine done last week and I agree the heat reduction in the car is great. Mine was done in Suntek film Carbon series which is non metallic and 35% and I was lucky the tinter had a half price sale and it only cost $150.00 :yahoo: