99 V6 Manual engine out!

123R-Prozak

as topic states, ive got a favour to do for a mate. replace his shot engine in his 99 camry manual. Q is, without agreeing, and looking at the engine bay, is the engine taken from the top, or bottom of the engine bay? AND can it come out with the gearbox? AND is it easy? lol

not to sound over the top, but nothing is really 'hard' as im a mechanic, and out of all my years, ive never touched a camry. ive got all tools n engine crane, rattle gun, air ratchet, etcetcetc dont stressss peeps

Most V6 Camry's and FWD V6 powered cars in general ive seen have been from below , a couple of them with the sub frame dropped out in it's entirety

ta, I've done my fare share of motors from underneath, but that's with a hoist, at this stage no hoist, a home cash job so the ato doesn't touch it lol

so q is, possible from the top? If gearbox comes out first, from top or bottom, then motor out from top...

personally , i would ( pending the size of the crane and your work space ) lift the body of the car up using the crane , best spot ive found is the engine and gearbox mount holes... but that said being larger than anything i have personally done i cannot 100% garantee it will be smooth like it is with something like a corolla.

For a 1mz-fe with a manual box will be harder to take it out from the top as the e153 is bigger width wise compared to the auto according to my mechanic. But he has access to a hoist and what not. However when my car was auto, the toyota service department took the engine+gearbox out from the top when i broke the box. The guys that did the 5sp swap a couple of years later also removed and reinstalled the engine/box from the top too.

To remove the motor from the top, you'll have to drop the subframe by itself first, then remove the gearbox out the bottom and then pull the motor out the top...

Bit of stuffing around with the subframe laying on the ground but can be done without too many hassles :)

as topic states, ive got a favour to do for a mate. replace his shot engine in his 99 camry manual. Q is, without agreeing, and looking at the engine bay, is the engine taken from the top, or bottom of the engine bay? AND can it come out with the gearbox? AND is it easy? lol

not to sound over the top, but nothing is really 'hard' as im a mechanic, and out of all my years, ive never touched a camry. ive got all tools n engine crane, rattle gun, air ratchet, etcetcetc dont stressss peeps

Pull it out the top, leave the GB attached IMO.

make sure you disconnect the loom inside the cabin and pull it back thru the firewall... and be sure to disconnect all of the gearbox linkages, hoses, etc.

Once you have all the hoses/wires/linkages disconnected from the body, undo the four engine mounts (ie take the bolt in the centre out) but make sure you completely remove the gearbox one and you should be able to just pull it out the top, but be sure to pull it out on an angle with the front of the motor up highest.

Should be a piece of piss

NOTE: this is the method i have used with all fwd 4cyl toyotas i've ever worked on, the camry's engine bay looks very similar to the celica one, process should be pretty similar.

Pull it out the top, leave the GB attached IMO.

make sure you disconnect the loom inside the cabin and pull it back thru the firewall... and be sure to disconnect all of the gearbox linkages, hoses, etc.

Once you have all the hoses/wires/linkages disconnected from the body, undo the four engine mounts (ie take the bolt in the centre out) but make sure you completely remove the gearbox one and you should be able to just pull it out the top, but be sure to pull it out on an angle with the front of the motor up highest.

Should be a piece of piss

NOTE: this is the method i have used with all fwd 4cyl toyotas i've ever worked on, the camry's engine bay looks very similar to the celica one, process should be pretty similar.

Yup leave the box connected to the engine and take it out as one. Thats how they did it the 2 times when we had to do it.