Stretched tyres

juvenile

How much of a stretch is too much of a stretch for everyday? Thinking of pros and cons and the pro I can think of is that it looks good, as for cons there must be a few,correct?

Is it practical on the road or should be left for show only? and I dont mean ridiculous stretch like 195 on a 8.5" rim, just a slight one.

I have 215's on 7.5" rim and has a slight stretch and never had a drama,its fine.. So again and thoughts on a mild stretch?

The reason i'm asking is because um oh um oh yeah this guy I know is thinking of getting 18x8 and normally would be fitted with a 225/40 for a comfy fit, so a 215/?/18 will be OK ?

215 easy. Drifters do some crazy stretches, and they put their tires under extreme extreme punishment. 215 on an 8 is barely a stretch in compared to what we used to do.

The only time ive ever seen a stretched tire roll off the rim (not totally off but just of the bead) was a 205 or smaller stretched over a 9.5" or bigger rim if i remember correctly. MAximum stretched and multiple hill drifts one night did cause a slight issue. But, it was still able to be driven home as the tire acted like a rubber guard for the rim.. :D

Tell that guy you know that it will all be fine... B)

I thought you would have some experience with stretched rubber, I've seen cars being punished with stretched but yet to hear about any coming off or other issues,

Wow a 205 on 9.5" rim is insane.. I haven't really heard any complaints either..

Cheers Pete and I will tell that guy :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running hankook ventus rs-2 in 205/45/R16 on a 8inch wide rim with minimal stretch on the mx-5. The rs-2s have quite a stiff sidewall so don't stretch as much.

• 1 month later...